Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
That would be pretty accurate statement. I mean let's face it, madrasses in Pakistan teach religion do they not? I wonder what great scientific advances come from them?

Sent from my Nexus 4
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. I just wanted to clarify what the poster meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
This sounds reasonable.

Creation science could be taught in the public schools in a comparative religion curriculum. It can be argued that it is important that it be taught in order that the students become fully aware of the range of beliefs about origins among different religions. But, in order to be constitutional in the U.S.:

Creation science can only be taught as a concept that some people believe in; it cannot be taught as actual truth.

Creation science based on the biblical book of Genesis cannot constitutionally be discussed in isolation. The beliefs of other religions, and of secular movements would have to be taught along with the Judeo-Christian-Muslim belief. Otherwise, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam would seen as being promoted by the school as superior to other religions and to a secular lifestyle.

Teaching of evolution in U.S. schools

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you're saying religion dumbs downs students?
I think that is accurate.

What motive does someone have to discover that which would disprove their belief?

Even Newton himself invoked god and gave up when he met his limit solving some tough equations, those equations were later solved btw.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
So you're saying religion dumbs downs students?
The subject is teaching Creationism in public schools alongside Evolution...isn't it? So, to teach Creationism as equally factual, would be a grave disservice to students. I was agreeing with your opinion that religious education is available outside the public school system so that there is no need or place for it in public schools. Did I misinterpret your post?

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution
Of the other countries surveyed, only Turkey ranked lower, with about 25 percent of the population accepting evolution and 75 percent rejecting it. In Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and France, 80 percent or more of adults accepted evolution; in Japan, 78 percent of adults did.
U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution | LiveScience

This is pathetic and embarraing ^

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The subject is teaching Creationism in public schools alongside Evolution...isn't it? So, to teach Creationism as equally factual, would be a grave disservice to students. I was agreeing with your opinion that religious education is available outside the public school system so that there is no need or place for it in public schools. Did I misinterpret your post?

U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution
Of the other countries surveyed, only Turkey ranked lower, with about 25 percent of the population accepting evolution and 75 percent rejecting it. In Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and France, 80 percent or more of adults accepted evolution; in Japan, 78 percent of adults did.
U.S. Lags World in Grasp of Genetics and Acceptance of Evolution | LiveScience

This is pathetic and embarraing ^
To be honest, I don't think either one should be taught in public schools. My kids went to public schools and creationism wasn't even touched upon. It was not a part of science class or any other class so I'm not sure where this is being taught.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This sounds reasonable.

Creation science could be taught in the public schools in a comparative religion curriculum. It can be argued that it is important that it be taught in order that the students become fully aware of the range of beliefs about origins among different religions. But, in order to be constitutional in the U.S.:

Creation science can only be taught as a concept that some people believe in; it cannot be taught as actual truth.

Creation science based on the biblical book of Genesis cannot constitutionally be discussed in isolation. The beliefs of other religions, and of secular movements would have to be taught along with the Judeo-Christian-Muslim belief. Otherwise, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam would seen as being promoted by the school as superior to other religions and to a secular lifestyle.

Teaching of evolution in U.S. schools
I wouldn't have a problem with ID/Creationism being taught as a religious belief in a comparative religions class, although I wouldn't call it Creation 'science' as that is misleading.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
How about we teach:

The universe had a beginning, and there are theorists and scientists who support many different possibilities as to it's origin and how it has progressed over the years but basically the two most popular theories come down to intelligent design and evolution. There is not enough data to prove either 100% so both come down to faith. It's up to you to decide if you believe in the "invisible sky wizard" or if you believe that "nothing + nothing = everything, and thank coincidence for existence" both seem insane and in reality we are just mere human beings who probably aren't capable of grasping the reality of our own origins.
But don't worry, no matter what you believe there will be a large group of people telling you you're wrong and they're right.
Class dismissed.
Evolution by natural selection has nothing to do with the origin of the universe. You can believe that your Sky Wizard of Choice created the universe and also believe that species change over time. Don't create a dichotomy where none exists.

The controversy here is whether humans and other living things are created by Sky Wizard of Choice or were created through the process of evolution by natural selection. Evolution only deals with LIVING THINGS not the whole entire universe.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think either one should be taught in public schools. My kids went to public schools and creationism wasn't even touched upon. It was not a part of science class or any other class so I'm not sure where this is being taught.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I find it ludicrous to not accept Evolution science for what it is...a science, as opposed to the alternative, which is nothing more than a belief based upon faith.

http://billmoyers.com/content/intera...g-creationism/

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...tennessee-bill

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ng-creationism

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/b...cience-classes

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-23-2013 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I find it ludicrous to not accept Evolution science for what it is...a science, as opposed to the alternative, which is nothing more than a belief based upon faith.
So some believe in science and some believe in faith. Neither one should be taught in public schools, in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:35 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
Quote:
So some believe in science and some believe in faith. Neither one should be taught in public schools, in my opinion.
You don't believe science should be taught in public school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies