Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Reagan gave money and weapons to Osama Bin Laden, Obama ordered a bullet to his skull
This has got to be one of the most ill-considered posts ever on CD. When Reagan took office in 1980, the big concern was still communism. I remember in the late 70's I told my sis that I had signed up for a class on 'Islamic Civ,' and she asked, isn't that a religion? And she was well-educated with a degree from a great University. Back then few Americans knew squat about Islam, or Islamic terrorism. The sum total of the typical American's knowledge on Islam came from 'I dream of Jeannie' reruns.

Reagan confronted and defeated communism, something that few dreamed was possible. When he gave his 'tear down this wall' speech. everyone on his team, from Colin Powell to George Shultz to the entire State Dept. tried to talk him out of it. On the flight to Berlin the State Dept faxed a revision of the speech with 'tear down this wall' deleted. Reagan threw it in the wastebasket.
Ronald Reagan: The man who beat communism | The Economist

As for Islam, as Reagan once consoled a frustrated young Newt Gingrich: "Well, some things you're just going to have to do after I'm gone."

Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Different scenario back then - nobody knew who Osama Bin Laden was, he was among the many rebels back in the early to mid 1980s, who were considered "allies" of the United States in Afghanistan because they were fighting the Russians who invaded their country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Osama Bin Laden was a Muslim radical when he received aid from Reagan
Osama bin Laden never received aid from the US. While it is true that Reagan, with Congress' approval, provided financial and military support for the Afghan Mujahideen from 1981 through 1988, Osama bin Laden was never a part of that organization. Furthermore, Osama bin Laden did not leave Sudan for Afghanistan until 1989, after Reagan had already left office.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You're right. I mean who cares that Obama graduated from two of the most prestigious schools in the world while Reagan only got his B.A from some little pissant school, or that Obama was a practicing attorney in Constitutional law while Reagan was an actor.

I know who I would vote for!
Ok tell me who? Why does some F'ing university degree mean more than anything else? How many people have some degree who are looking for a min wage job right now? Oh hey go ask your hero Obama. He doesn't care never mind.

Reagan didn't want folks to work min wage jobs he wanted them to achieve the American dream. The dream now is to get that min wage job. How pathetically far we have come and you friggen people defend this nonsense. Pathetic.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Osama bin Laden never received aid from the US. While it is true that Reagan, with Congress' approval, provided financial and military support for the Afghan Mujahideen from 1981 through 1988, Osama bin Laden was never a part of that organization. Furthermore, Osama bin Laden did not leave Sudan for Afghanistan until 1989, after Reagan had already left office.
Carter actually started the whole thing. Actually it was a must do thing because we pegged the dollar to oil so we had to get into the fray so to say. No that I'm touting the peanut man but after Nixon every prez has been on the same page.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Imagine in your head exactly what Obama can do to "unite the country". Can't picture it? That's because there is nothing that will unite your kind of people with Obama. His opinions divide you from him. All you can do is build your rage and regurgitate right-wing talking points, including imaginary events like an "apology tour" or that Obama "despises" America. Just pathetic. Go ahead and feel free to cite your source that says Obama hates America, and no it can't be some opinion piece from Fox News. Otherwise you're just in a fantasy world.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 AM

As are you as what you wanted has been proven by what Reagan did back in the day. You know the topic of the post that you apparently forgot about. Try again.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Reagan didn't want folks to work min wage jobs he wanted them to achieve the American dream. The dream now is to get that min wage job. How pathetically far we have come and you friggen people defend this nonsense. Pathetic.
I guess that's your dream now but most of us have better plans in mind.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
As are you as what you wanted has been proven by what Reagan did back in the day. You know the topic of the post that you apparently forgot about. Try again.
Reagan is another dirty politician who got in office at a lucky time. You don't think the president alone has that much power over the economy, do you? I'd hate to insult you by insinuating that you're naive enough to believe that.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM

What is your plan hero? The communist dream??

Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Reagan is another dirty politician who got in office at a lucky time. You don't think the president alone has that much power over the economy, do you? I'd hate to insult you by insinuating that you're naive enough to believe that.
Well you should read the OP smart guy. Leave policy out of this debate. You though think you can run in here and start squaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies