Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I do not support gay marriage and I do not support traditional marriage....I do support the old biblical quote..."They will not be given or taken in marriage...for they will be like the angels"....Let people love each other - as for hedonism and sexuality - both straights and gays can be guilty of sexual perversity.....
Since you apparently live in Toronto, what's it like to be fully equal to gay people in the eyes of the law? I doubt your life has changed once ounce since Canada legalized gay marriage years ago. And again, why are you arguing something that your country has already surpassed?

I also still cannot grasp why if you're not married, you feel you get any say as to who can and cannot get married. It's personal choice. Marriage isn't for you, I respect that. So you need to respect that some people really do want to get married. You may not support the reason, but since it doesn't affect you one single bit, you're basically talking just to talk? If you don't support any version of marriage, fine. I don't support Wal-Mart, but if people want to shop there, it's their choice.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Historians suggest that she was around 14. Joseph was likely around 30. Grown men marrying teenagers was custom back then; still is in that part of the world actually.
Historians think they know it... don't be so sure... Of course you God haters love to knock God... nothing new here either.. Satan hated God ..he wanted to be higher than God.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There you go - it seems that this whole thing is about winning and "losing"....My dad who had been through a major war...a revolution and had saw all the horrors that mankind could produce had one rule in the house...some might call it old Christian doctrine...simplified to the core...If there was food on the table...money in the drawer or any other resource that was needed to ensure human comfort and survival he would say one thing......"There are others"......In other words his philosophy was that there are no losers or winners - one should not survive at the expense of another...that EVERYONE should survive...that there are no losers. The American mindset has always been about competition...that capitalist based competition let the best rise to the top...sometimes the worst rise to the top...The American system is about winning...and leaving losers in the wake of the aggressive winner.

As I have mentioned in previous posts...I never married but had a successful family that stayed functional and in tact for three decades and counting. What I noticed in the "straight world" was that those that were formally married were in competition socially with those who were not formally married...The married folks actually thought that they were more high class...that they and their families deserved reverence and respect - and that those who were not married were of a lower class....It was competitive.

I see the same thing when it comes to gay marriage verses traditional marriage...It is STILL about social status...How dare those gay people demand the same social status as us straight and traditional people? That is the core of it all...It is not that straight people hate homosexuals...most don't care one way or the other...It is about this pitiful class struggle where one group (straights) imagine themselves as the RULING class......

The mistake in the evolution of marriage among the gay contenders is that some are now imagining themselves as the ruling elite gay class...that they are proud and better than straights.......

Be careful what you hold in contempt.....You may become that very thing.

All human beings deserve security and the right to life and existence...no matter who they are...Those who say that gay is anti-christian are slightly amiss. They love to quote a few lines out of the old testament that has little to do with the New Testament and Christ.....It clearly states that God does not judge those who are in the eyes of mankind good or evil...God created both the positive and the negative......"God sends the blessing of life giving rain on the wicked as well as the good" - to para phrase...

I have never been competitive. I know who I am and I have never tried to prove to anyone that I was better....than they...I am secure in my abilities and recognize my own weakness....Humanity are like competing insects sometimes....they eat each other in some mindless attempt to stay alive at the peril of those they consider weak and consumable.

I do not support gay marriage and I do not support traditional marriage....I do support the old biblical quote..."They will not be given or taken in marriage...for they will be like the angels"....Let people love each other - as for hedonism and sexuality - both straights and gays can be guilty of sexual perversity.....
Your quote of not given or taken in marriage is for the next life we are no longer male or female , we will first spirit. A glorified body .. these things will come to pass in the new kingdom.

God's word is the judge.. Jesus judged through the word.. Jesus did not come to condemn but to seek and save those who would follow him.. the others will be left in condemnation because of their sin and the rejection of Christ as savior.. Can't get much plainer than that. Broad is the way that leads to destruction and narrow the path that leads to righteousness.. it is written.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Your quote of not given or taken in marriage is for the next life we are no longer male or female , we will first spirit. A glorified body .. these things will come to pass in the new kingdom.

God's word is the judge.. Jesus judged through the word.. Jesus did not come to condemn but to seek and save those who would follow him.. the others will be left in condemnation because of their sin and the rejection of Christ as savior.. Can't get much plainer than that. Broad is the way that leads to destruction and narrow the path that leads to righteousness.. it is written.
You're completely entitled to your religious beliefs, but when it comes to making laws, they're as irrelevant as the color of socks I currently have on.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
[quote=youngabe;31482909]Since you apparently live in Toronto, what's it like to be fully equal to gay people in the eyes of the law? I doubt your life has changed once ounce since Canada legalized gay marriage years ago. And again, why are you arguing something that your country has already surpassed?

I also still cannot grasp why if you're not married, you feel you get any say as to who can and cannot get married. It's personal choice. Marriage isn't for you, I respect that. So you need to respect that some people really do want to get married. You may not support the reason, but since it doesn't affect you one single bit, you're basically talking just to talk? If you don't support any version of marriage, fine. I don't support Wal-Mart, but if people want to shop there, it's their choice.[/QUOTe

Growing up just north of the city and now having lived in the core on and off for a few decades I have seen the social change....My current hood is very gentrified and in the last year I have seen a huge influx of gays who like to live in trendy areas....sometimes I feel like an alien from another world...and yes Toronto is a city state controlled by hard core liberals....it is not representative of Canada in general....Being older I find the change in the last few decades to be fairly extreme...but as you mentioned - it does not effect me other than making me feel that I am now living in a foreign land of sorts.....I could go back to red neck country north of the city....or stay here...........but that is the crux of the matter- I find red neck straights just as irritating as an over abundance of gays.....I just don't like extremism.

You are correct- It is none of my business who gets married and who does not...and in truth *I don't care...It's just that the social changes do in my mature years alienate me...I had no idea there were so many gay people in existence....Where did they all come from? I can answer that- Gay kids flock to Toronto from rural areas...it is not that their numbers have increased- they are just more concentrated...

I do feel slightly uncomfortable....no different than if there was an over load of Italians or Asians.....My eventual dream is to get back to the country and settle by a little lake - like the one I grew up on - and have a garden and go fishing.............what YOU folks to in the forming of this brave new world is your business........good luck.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
And older woman that never married and lives with her aging mother should be entitled to all the benefits that occur in formal marriage..... Forget about the word marriage for a moment and think of it as a partnership or a corporate entity where two or more people become one entity and have the rights of ONE individual...If corporations are considered a single human entity..then all partnerships that are permanent are also a corporate entity.

Once two people become one...they should have the same rights and benefits and freedoms of a singular individual...For instance...if a man dies and has a pension...In Canada that pension goes to the surviving wife....This system should be expanded to include a daughter for instance if the deceased has no spouse...Things like power of attorney in the case of a dying person - who ever is closest to that person should be able to assume that right ...whether they are male or female- married to the person or not...

I do see the point where in a gay relationship if a partner is on their death bed that in some cases the surviving partner has no right over the sick persons care....THAT is not right...no I am not getting all pro-same sex marriage...just being practical and fair.....It is kind of obscene when a same sex couple are at the last stages of life that the partner is shunned....I don't like the idea of gay marriage...but that is my problem- I do like the idea of fair play though...Fair play in life should not be denied. Those that say life is not fair had better make an effort to make it fair.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's interesting that some posters here seem to equate the push for equal rights with regards to same sex marriage with some liberal agenda or with liberalism in general.

Truth is, trying to preclude same sex couples from marrying is the complete antithesis of everything true conservativism is.

Similarly, no real, actual conservative would ever endorse government involvement of any kind in the abortion issue.
Don't you know that the homosexuals are now an "elite ruling class"?
(Or some such hogwash.)

Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Growing up just north of the city and now having lived in the core on and off
for a few decades I have seen the social change....My current hood is very
gentrified and in the last year I have seen a huge influx of gays who like to
live in trendy areas....
sometimes I feel like an alien from another world...and
yes Toronto is a city state controlled by hard core liberals....it is not
representative of Canada in general....Being older I find the change in the last
few decades to be fairly extreme...but as you mentioned - it does not effect me
other than making me feel that I am now living in a foreign land of sorts.....I
could go back to red neck country north of the city....or stay
here...........but that is the crux of the matter- I find red neck straights
just as irritating as an over abundance of gays.....I just don't like
extremism.
Well, yeah. Gays like nice things. Every neighbourhood they move into becomes better. That's a bad thing?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
True^

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Historians think they know it... don't be so sure... Of course you God haters love to knock God... nothing new here either.. Satan hated God ..he wanted to be higher than God.
How is stating a historical fact (that grown men often married young girls) hatred? It's also key to notice that I didn't actually mention God. I just answered the simple question; how old was Mary? Around 14, as was custom in that time. Finding an unmarried woman around the same age as Joseph simply wouldn't have happened in that time. If you want to call facts hatred, go for it, but your wrong is every imaginable way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies