Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

No, not more than other annoying sounds.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The loudest calls to prayer I have ever found in US cities have been the ringing of Catholic bells on Sundays. Although not religious I do seem to like them!
Agree. It's sounds peaceful.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Not so. The Muslim Allah and the God of the Old Testament are not the same. Similar sounding, but not the same. A study of the history of the Muslim religion would clearly show that.
You could not possibly be more wrong. "Allah" is simply the generic Arabic word for "god." Arabic Christians use the term "allah" when praying to god. It's the same god. Muslims share with Christian and Jews the first few books of the OT along with the attendant creation myths, stories of The Flood, etc., etc.

This is why Judaism, Christianity and Islam are called the three Abrahamic religions.

It would serve you well to read actual history and learn something of these religions rather than parroting nonsense from some anti-Muslim Christian apologetic website.

Quote:
These atheists seem to have it in for Christians.
I could tell you why, but you would never believe it.
Oh, please enlighten us! I'd love to hear why you believe this.

For the record, I do believe there are militant atheists and I find it annoying. However, most atheists I know and that I see discussing this online are simply people who don't believe in invisible supernatural beings and nothing more.

As for atheist organizations and so on, I think it's silly and I've never seen the point.

But the hardcore absolutist militant atheists are no more indicative of atheists as a whole than suicide bombers are of Muslims or the KKK is of Christians.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Derpa, derpa, lalalala crap?
How phenomenally offensive, not to mention ignorant. In Egypt, no less! It's like a Muslim tourist complaining about that Our Father, who art in heaven "crap" in the US. You'd have a few choice words to say about that.
Not really. I don't really care what they say about a religion. It's just that in this country few, if any, are screeching away at 5:00 in the morning and blasting it over a bunch of LOUDspeakers. I really don't like getting woken up early on a work day! Their country, their rules though. Just so long as that silly crap doesn't come here! I'd feel the same way about church bells, especially if they started banging away on them at 5:00 on a weekend.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They are exactly the same. Adam & eve and Noah and Abraham and Isaac and David and whatnot. Both are Abrahamic religions, just deal.

No. It's a very popular bit of false witness, though.

Awww...
Nice to see you learned what you were told, some never do get past baby steps.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
You could not possibly be more wrong. "Allah" is simply the generic Arabic word for "god." Arabic Christians use the term "allah" when praying to god. It's the same god. Muslims share with Christian and Jews the first few books of the OT along with the attendant creation myths, stories of The Flood, etc., etc.

This is why Judaism, Christianity and Islam are called the three Abrahamic religions.

It would serve you well to read actual history and learn something of these religions rather than parroting nonsense from some anti-Muslim Christian apologetic website.

Oh, please enlighten us! I'd love to hear why you believe this.

For the record, I do believe there are militant atheists and I find it annoying. However, most atheists I know and that I see discussing this online are simply people who don't believe in invisible supernatural beings and nothing more.

As for atheist organizations and so on, I think it's silly and I've never seen the point.

But the hardcore absolutist militant atheists are no more indicative of atheists as a whole than suicide bombers are of Muslims or the KKK is of Christians.
Yet Jews and Christians don't live anything like those in Arab countries, let alone treat their women and children as property now do they? I think your the one who should go further than the Bible or Koran to see how history and cultures have defined God.

Images that serve as god will never be God.

KKK as Christians they have it WRONG also!

Actually the Atheists I know personally don't complain and we've had great discussions, it's only on C-D were some act like roosters and others are hen pecking.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Probably.

Atheist seem to complain about everything.
Most of the whining I hear is from those imbedded in their religion, they cannot mind their own business and try to force everyone to believe as they do. Prayer does not belong in any kind of politics. Why must those who feel their religion is right try to make everyone feel it is right. Keep religion in the churches and places of worship, where it belongs.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Probably.

Atheist seem to complain about everything.
Can you cite instances of American atheists disrupting religious activities?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Nice to see you learned what you were told, some never do get past baby steps.
OK, then - feel free to present an actual argument.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yet Jews and Christians don't live anything like those in Arab countries, let alone treat their women and children as property now do they? I think your the one who should go further than the Bible or Koran to see how history and cultures have defined God.

Images that serve as god will never be God.

KKK as Christians they have it WRONG also!

Actually the Atheists I know personally don't complain and we've had great discussions, it's only on C-D were some act like roosters and others are hen pecking.
Even here in America you don't have to go back very far in time to find yourself in a society that treated woman as second-class citizens and nearly as property. Heck, less than a hundred years ago women couldn't vote and just a bit over a century ago women had limited property rights. Just over a century and half ago, Blacks were LEGALLY PROPERTY in many states - and even today spousal violence against women is pretty commonplace so even though the "culture" is enlightened, it's pretty apparent than many American males are clearly not so (and would actually fit it pretty well in the Islamic World in regards to their personal views of women).

Is the Islamic world behind the times in regards to womans' rights?
Absolutely - be WE weren't always so enlightened either (and as I've said, many American males STILL are not). Our enlightenment is actually a fairly recent thing - and still in development.
Are woman treated better HERE than in the Islamic World?
Absolutely - but even here we still have a ways to go.
Everything is relative.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies