Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nor does suggesting an amnesty for millions of illegal aliens with 23 million Americans out of work create jobs for them, put them back to work and create confidence. Just what party is guilty of that?
Immigration is a problem, I completely forgot I thought healthcare was our only issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The checks and balances are working.
I actually agree with you for once - albeit not for the reason that you would think:
"Thus far I have considered the circumstances which point out the necessity of a well-constructed Senate only as they relate to the representatives of the people. To a people as little blinded by prejudice or corrupted by flattery as those whom I address, I shall not scruple to add, that such an institution may be sometimes necessary as a defense to the people against their own temporary errors and delusions. As the cool and deliberate sense of the community ought, in all governments, and actually will, in all free governments, ultimately prevail over the views of its rulers; so there are particular moments in public affairs when the people, stimulated by some irregular passion, or some illicit advantage, or misled by the artful misrepresentations of interested men, may call for measures which they themselves will afterwards be the most ready to lament and condemn. In these critical moments, how salutary will be the interference of some temperate and respectable body of citizens, in order to check the misguided career, and to suspend the blow meditated by the people against themselves, until reason, justice, and truth can regain their authority over the public mind? What bitter anguish would not the people of Athens have often escaped if their government had contained so provident a safeguard against the tyranny of their own passions? Popular liberty might then have escaped the indelible reproach of decreeing to the same citizens the hemlock on one day and statues on the next."
Federalist #63

(Both Madison and Hamilton have been credited with authorship)

Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I actually agree with you for once - albeit not for the reason that you would think:
"Thus far I have considered the circumstances which point out the necessity of a well-constructed Senate only as they relate to the representatives of the people. To a people as little blinded by prejudice or corrupted by flattery as those whom I address, I shall not scruple to add, that such an institution may be sometimes necessary as a defense to the people against their own temporary errors and delusions. As the cool and deliberate sense of the community ought, in all governments, and actually will, in all free governments, ultimately prevail over the views of its rulers; so there are particular moments in public affairs when the people, stimulated by some irregular passion, or some illicit advantage, or misled by the artful misrepresentations of interested men, may call for measures which they themselves will afterwards be the most ready to lament and condemn. In these critical moments, how salutary will be the interference of some temperate and respectable body of citizens, in order to check the misguided career, and to suspend the blow meditated by the people against themselves, until reason, justice, and truth can regain their authority over the public mind? What bitter anguish would not the people of Athens have often escaped if their government had contained so provident a safeguard against the tyranny of their own passions? Popular liberty might then have escaped the indelible reproach of decreeing to the same citizens the hemlock on one day and statues on the next."
Federalist #63

(Both Madison and Hamilton have been credited with authorship)

That is the exact reason. We have allowed the Constitution to be shredded. There comes a point, we the people say enough.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:24 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Speaking of nutbags how about those angry OWS nuts on the liberal left? Pot, kettle, black.
How does a small protest movement that collapsed in 90 days compare to the House of Representatives of the United States of America?
Please come out of orbit and return to earth, Oldglory. There is no comparison at all. Occupy Wall Street never caused our government to shut down, and never threatened the world with a default on our national obligations.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is the exact reason. We have allowed the Constitution to be shredded. There comes a point, we the people say enough.
You conveniently skipped over the last of that paragraph, Bent.

The part that says:

"In these critical moments, how salutary will be the interference of some temperate and respectable body of citizens, in order to check the misguided career, and to suspend the blow meditated by the people against themselves, until reason, justice, and truth can regain their authority over the public mind? What bitter anguish would not the people of Athens have often escaped if their government had contained so provident a safeguard against the tyranny of their own passions? Popular liberty might then have escaped the indelible reproach of decreeing to the same citizens the hemlock on one day and statues on the next."

If the Constitution is shredded, it was done by the radical right wing of the Republican party. They were the ones who forced a last failed attempt at overturning a law that had already gone into effect, and preferred to shut down our government rather than admit defeat.

The temperate and respectable body of citizens mentioned are now solidly repudiating the decree to drink that hemlock the GOP brought to the party. We know better to drink the Koolaide you try to peddle.

You always talk about the Constitution, but you were damned happy to try to subvert it last year when your guy Ron Paul failed to toe the mark. I have not forgotten the gleefulness of your posts when you did.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How does a small protest movement that collapsed in 90 days compare to the House of Representatives of the United States of America?
Please come out of orbit and return to earth, Oldglory. There is no comparison at all. Occupy Wall Street never caused our government to shut down, and never threatened the world with a default on our national obligations.
You're right because the government shutdown has nothing to do with the so-called anger of the teaparty or OWS movement. You are changing the subject again. You mentioned anger and I brought you back to reality about the anger on the left aka the OWS movement. You keep moving the goalposts when the subject was anger not the shutdown. You need to come out of orbit and stop your diversionary tactics when it is plain that the shutdown was caused by both parties. Post in the shutdown topics if you want to discuss that topic. The shutdown hasn't lasted 90 days either so OWS was longer than that and it was not a "small" movement either. It compares in numbers to the teaparty movement.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
The fact is that there are moochers, losers and deadbeats in our society. So the Republicans are the bad guys for stating the facts?
Yes, you are losing on the national stage. I'm guessing ya'll would like to win an election or two. Can you not point out the facts without alienating half the country?

Respectful debate is something you should have learned in the third grade, public schools and all.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:14 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, you are losing on the national stage. I'm guessing ya'll would like to win an election or two. Can you not point out the facts without alienating half the country?

Respectful debate is something you should have learned in the third grade, public schools and all.
How is speaking the truth not going to alienate someone? It is not disrespectful to point out the fact in a debate that there are some Americans that are moochers and that the abuse needs to stop because is is bankrupting our country. I know in leftie liberal land PC is more important and this should be washed under the rug instead so as to not hurt the moochers widdle feelings. I disagree, the truth should always be spoken no matter how painful it is to the offenders.

As for the GOP never winning another presidential election I wouldn't count my chickens just yet. Once we are totally bankrupt the PC crowd will finally wake up.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
How is speaking the truth not going to alienate someone? It is not disrespectful to point out the fact in a debate that there are some Americans that are moochers and that the abuse needs to stop because is is bankrupting our country. I know in leftie liberal land PC is more important and this should be washed under the rug instead so as to not hurt the moochers widdle feelings. I disagree, the truth should always be spoken no matter how painful it is to the offenders.

As for the GOP never winning another presidential election I wouldn't count my chickens just yet. Once we are totally bankrupt the PC crowd will finally wake up.
Again, respectful debate is something you should have been taught in third grade. There is a way to speak your truth without resorting to name calling.

I see you are incapable of same. Simply repeating your same tired talking points will not win you a presidential election.

Most intelligent people can comprehend this.

I do not know of ONE college educated individual who believes in the tea party. Not one.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Quote:
Conservative Southern Values Revived: How a Brutal Strain of American Aristocrats Have Come to Rule America

Once we understand the two different definitions of "liberty" at work here, a lot of other things suddenly make much more sense. We can understand the traditional Southern antipathy to education, progress, public investment, unionization, equal opportunity, and civil rights. The fervent belief among these elites that they should completely escape any legal or social accountability for any harm they cause. Their obsessive attention to where they fall in the status hierarchies. And, most of all -- the unremitting and unapologetic brutality with which they've defended these "liberties" across the length of their history.

Conservative Southern Values Revived: How a Brutal Strain of American Aristocrats Have Come to Rule America | Alternet
Entire article well worth the read. You have to know your enemy and these insights explain a lot. And btw...I don't use the word "enemy" lightly and in this instance, it is more than appropriate. We are seeing an out and out assault on the middle class and poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies