Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Save it for a month or so. I say happy halloween here in a few weeks and that is how far ahead I'm going. My kids just want cash so I don't care what they say anymore it's happy federal reserve for them this year. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
How about neither.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
This claim is common, but it rests on a misunderstanding of what real freedom of religion entails. The most important thing to remember is that freedom of religion, if it is going to apply to everyone, also requires freedom from religion. Why is that? You do not truly have the freedom to practice your religious beliefs if you are also required to adhere to any of the religious beliefs or rules of other religions.

As an obvious example, could we really say that Jews and Muslims would have freedom of religion if they were required to show same respect to images of Jesus that Christians have? Would Christians and Muslims really have freedom of their religion if they were required to wear yarmulkes? Would Christians and Jews have freedom of religion if they were required to adhere to Muslim dietary restrictions?

Simply pointing out that people have the freedom to pray however they wish is not enough. Forcing people to accept some particular idea or adhere to behavioral standards from someone else’s religion means that their religious freedom is being infringed upon.

Freedom from religion does not mean, as some mistakenly seem to claim, being free from seeing religion in society. No one has the right not to see churches, religious expression, and other examples of religious belief in our nation — and those who advocate freedom of religion do not claim otherwise.

Source: Freedom From Religion vs. Freedom of Religion Myth: You Have Freedom Of, not Freedom From Religion?

That said, I feel no obligation to use either but generally use Merry Christmas - having been brought up with Christian principles and in a predominantly Christian environment. Of course, when I find myself in areas that are not predominantly Christian (say, NYC, for example), I use the more universally applicable Happy Holidays.

There is no misunderstanding. Plain and simply, you have the right to belong to any religion which you desire to join, just as I do. Your choice of religion has zero influence on my choice of religion, nor does it have any influence on the way I express my religion. In short, you have freedom of religion when it comes to your personal choice, but you do not have freedom from religion if I choose to express my views in public. I'm not attempting to convert you to my religion (admittedly, I don't actually belong to any specific religion) by expressing my religious beliefs, I'm merely expressing my religious beliefs. By the same token, if you greet me with what is considered a religious greeting in your chosen faith, it doesn't mean you are trying to convert me. It merely means that you are expressing your religious beliefs in your greeting.

Sorry, the whole freedom from religion argument is bogus. It is completely contradictory to the central thesis that was behind the creation of the United States, which is that all people have equal rights. In order to have freedom from religion, Person A's right to not be exposed to Person B's religion is given more weight than Person B's right to express their religious belief.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
I would only feel obligated to say "Happy Holidays" if I felt the person greeting me with "Merry Christmas" was doing so out of some weird vigilant motivation. In other words, if I feel that saying "Happy Holidays" will tick someone off, I might feel obligated to say "Happy Holidays". Other than that, I would just say "Merry Christmas" back to them.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:36 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
As in atheist, I get really pissed off when somebody tells me happy holidays.

We in the Western world grow up with Christmas as a holiday. As far as I'm concerned it's Merry Christmas and if someone doesn't like it or doesn't think it's politically correct then they can go p*$$ up a rope.

Let's worry about real things were religion gets in our face.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
I say 'Merry Christmas'.

That said, I have absolutely no issue with someone who says 'Happy Holidays'. Why would I?

People who reject well-wishes becasue it's not the precise phrasing of well-wishes they demand, frankly, need to grow up.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I say 'Merry Christmas'.

That said, I have absolutely no issue with someone who says 'Happy Holidays'. Why would I?

People who reject well-wishes becasue it's not the precise phrasing of well-wishes they demand, frankly, need to grow up.
Excellent point.............although they would say your need to PC up.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Nope. Merry Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom
Freedom of religion is not freedom from religion. I'm agnostic and I still say Merry Christmas. If someone is offended by that, it's their problem, not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves in Snow
No, I do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, it has always been Merry Christmas (Not Xmas) in my life and will continue to be as well as Happy Thanksgiving, Happy New Year, Happy Halloween, Happy Birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I would only feel obligated to say "Happy Holidays" if I felt the person greeting me with "Merry Christmas" was doing so out of some weird vigilant motivation. In other words, if I feel that saying "Happy Holidays" will tick someone off, I might feel obligated to say "Happy Holidays". Other than that, I would just say "Merry Christmas" back to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

We in the Western world grow up with Christmas as a holiday. As far as I'm concerned it's Merry Christmas and if someone doesn't like it or doesn't think it's politically correct then they can go p*$$ up a rope.
This is great! No one feels pressured not to say Merry Christmas! So that means the War on Christmas is over and we never have to have another thread like this again, right?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Let's worry about real things were religion gets in our face.
Seriously? Someone wishes you happy holidays and you get pissed off at them?

Isn't that just as bad as people that get pissed off at merry Christmas?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, it is almost that time of the year again. People working in departments stores are instructed to say “Happy Holidays” instead of "Merry Christmas."

Well, yeah, Christmas is a religious holiday, but these days many people that are from other religions celebrate Christmas as well more as a holiday since its a large tradition in this country.

I wonder do you feel pressured or obligated to say "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christmas"?
Nope.
I love "Merry Christmas" - and I'm not even a "practicing Christian".

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies