Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And what you fail to see is that there are bad laws, and sometimes you have to call bull*** on them! So there is no confusion. Hey, the Germans abided by Hitler and Nazi laws, and we all saw how that ended for them! Those "law abiding" German citizens were such good sheep and followed the law to the tune of the Nazis committing mass genocide of some 12 million people. But hey, the law is the law, right? Laws written by men aren't prone to flaws? Naw, that couldn't be it!!! It's the written word, and therefore it must be right!
If you still don't get it you'll never get it

No wonder our prisons are full of people who claim they are innocent.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Once again, I support legalization but these type's of arguments befuddle me. You do the very same thing. Do you support the idea of ending all laws? Nearly any law you support is thought to be a stupid law by someone else. Does that make you a so-called Christian?

No. I'm not an anarchist. I support sensible laws. Laws against, murder, assault, rape, stealing... you know violent crimes. I don't support laws such as prohibition. I wouldn't have supported slavery, nor would I have supported not allowing minorities or women to vote.

I stated a perfectly legitimate concern I have. It has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Finn never said that he doesn't question any law.

Maybe so. But calling people criminals for smoking a doobie is absolutely insane! I consider a criminal one who seeks to harm others!

The way to get your way here is not to offend people but rather convince them you are right. These type of arguments are counter productive.

Quote:
This also.....just because someone may have broken a law does not make breaking a law something people should accept. Yes, I've went over the speed limit but because I have doesn't mean I should support getting rid of speed limits.

I agree. But using logic, what is worse? Smoking a doobie in my own home, or turning your car into a deadly weapon by speeding? Now, if I went out and drove while under the influence then you can make a case that I was putting others in danger. But, I don't. I won't even drive anymore if I've had one beer, unless I know it's going to be several hours, because I like my clean driving record, low insurance, and don't want to tarnish it with a DUI. Plus it's just common sense to not put other people's lives in danger. Then again, it seems that common sense has gone out the window these days.

Yes, speeding makes me a criminal also. I don't see what the big deal in admitting that is.
I think most of us do. I've been known to go 5-10 over, but that is at the most, and that is usually on the freeway. School zones though? UH UH!!! 20 MPH! At any rate, it hardly justifies locking us up for it, unless your speeding causes someone to be killed or seriously injured.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you still don't get it you'll never get it

No wonder our prisons are full of people who claim they are innocent.....

There are a lot of folks (non-violent offenders) locked up who shouldn't have been. It's all about money! Don't think for a minute that our government isn't playing both sides of the drug war. You want to call people criminals? Well you may want to include those who write the laws, and then break them themselves. All for me, but none for thee!

Nope, Finn I get it perfectly. I'm not a one dimensional thinker. I use that GOD given free will to call bull**** when I see it!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:58 AM

582 posts, read 779,515 times
I find this conversation interesting. I am old enough to see the results of pot smoking by my peers in their youth. Did they all become deadhead, drug out low lives - No. For some was pot smoking the first step in becoming a deadhead bum - Yes. For many that used it regularly, did it lower their ambition, work ethic and have have adverse effect on their live - Yes for many but not all. Pot is compared to alcohol repeatedly. So how did my peer handle booze. Did everyone that drank became a drunk - NO, did some - Yes. Did some that drank regularly have adverse life long effect - Yes to some, but not to the extent of pot.

It is also a myth that pot smoker just lay around and eat while high, not causing any problems. We have a case here where a person, smoking only pot, caused a fatal car crash. This is not a single case, but is some that is left out of the discussion.

What I do find the most interest is that at a time when people are working towards banning smoking in public places because of the risk to second hand smoke, are protesting about pollution, are concerned about plastic bottles leaking chemical into their contents, that there would be this push to add another method to put toxic chemicals into one's body.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
No. I'm not an anarchist. I support sensible laws. Laws against, murder, assault, rape, stealing... you know violent crimes. I don't support laws such as prohibition. I wouldn't have supported slavery, nor would I have supported not allowing minorities or women to vote.
Those who see nothing wrong with sex with minors probably see you as a busy body Christian that should mind their own business.

Quote:
Maybe so. But calling people criminals for smoking a doobie is absolutely insane! I consider a criminal one who seeks to harm others!
The point is it matters none what you consider here. The pedophile doesn't consider his actions as criminal either. Have I ever sold an item and made a few dollars and pocketed that money as opposed to paying taxes on it? Yes, I have and I do not think that the government deserves a portion of every single penny one makes but those actions are still criminal.

I would love to see those laws changed but I'm never going see that by calling people names.

Quote:
I agree. But using logic, what is worse? Smoking a doobie in my own home, or turning your car into a deadly weapon by speeding? Now, if I went out and drove while under the influence then you can make a case that I was putting others in danger. But, I don't. I won't even drive anymore if I've had one beer, unless I know it's going to be several hours, because I like my clean driving record, low insurance, and don't want to tarnish it with a DUI. Plus it's just common sense to not put other people's lives in danger. Then again, it seems that common sense has gone out the window these days.
It doesn't matter which is worse. Right now both are illegal and are criminal activities if you participate in them. I agree that both should not be, but right now they are. Again, what's the big deal here? Those are the simple facts. To be fair, the act of calling out someone as a "criminal" was probably done for the same reasons as what I am complaining about.

Right now for a majority of people being a criminal pot smoker isn't a bad thing but until the laws are changed, the simple fact is, it's a criminal activity. Just like my speeding and pocking the extra $20 I made. Big deal. I'm a criminal.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Those who see nothing wrong with sex with minors probably see you as a busy body Christian that should mind their own business.

Smoking pot vs pedophilia? Really? Apples and oranges. You cannot even compare the two! Pedophilia causes harm to another person. Smoking pot in the privacy of my own home (or garage) causes no harm to anyone!

The point is it matters none what you consider here. The pedophile doesn't consider his actions as criminal either. Have I ever sold an item and made a few dollars and pocketed that money as opposed to paying taxes on it? Yes, I have and I do not think that the government deserves a portion of every single penny one makes but those actions are still criminal.

Your mind is in the right place here. However; laws aren't without their flaws. Christ this country was founded on questioning authority and not having big government in every aspect of our lives. It is up to us as Americans to question and work to change bull**** laws!

I would love to see those laws changed but I'm never going see that by calling people names.

Cool. So stop lumping me in with real criminals such as those who commit violent crimes. (Not you necessarily).

It doesn't matter which is worse. Right now both are illegal and are criminal activities if you participate in them. I agree that both should not be, but right now they are. Again, what's the big deal here? Those are the simple facts. To be fair, the act of calling out someone as a "criminal" was probably done for the same reasons as what I am complaining about.

And in good conscience I cannot nor will I call someone a criminal for consuming cannabis.

Right now for a majority of people being a criminal pot smoker isn't a bad thing but until the laws are changed, the simple fact is, it's a criminal activity. Just like my speeding and pocking the extra $20 I made. Big deal. I'm a criminal.
See above.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
There are a lot of folks (non-violent offenders) locked up who shouldn't have been. It's all about money! Don't think for a minute that our government isn't playing both sides of the drug war. You want to call people criminals? Well you may want to include those who write the laws, and then break them themselves. All for me, but none for thee!

Nope, Finn I get it perfectly. I'm not a one dimensional thinker. I use that GOD given free will to call bull**** when I see it!
No, you don't get the part where all laws should be obeyed, even the ones we don't like. I don't like tax-laws, but I pay anyway. I don't like people telling me when and where to fish and hunt, but I respect the laws and do it when and where it is permissible. That is what law abiding citizens do.

I told you before that I will respect laws which make pot legal when (and if) that happens. I am speaking about it today, because the discussion is today. Now is the time. A lot of people will start talking when the laws have passed, and it's too late. You are possessing and consuming drugs while it is still illegal, which makes you a law-breaker.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I find this conversation interesting. I am old enough to see the results of pot smoking by my peers in their youth. Did they all become deadhead, drug out low lives - No. For some was pot smoking the first step in becoming a deadhead bum - Yes. For many that used it regularly, did it lower their ambition, work ethic and have have adverse effect on their live - Yes for many but not all. Pot is compared to alcohol repeatedly. So how did my peer handle booze. Did everyone that drank became a drunk - NO, did some - Yes. Did some that drank regularly have adverse life long effect - Yes to some, but not to the extent of pot.

^^^I've seen way more peoples lives destroyed by booze than pot ten fold.. and you left out a big point should people be locked of for smoking pot?? booze heads don't get locked up for drinking poision!!! why should some one get jailed for smoking pot a way less destructive drug when compared to hard alcohol...

It is also a myth that pot smoker just lay around and eat while high, not causing any problems. We have a case here where a person, smoking only pot, caused a fatal car crash. This is not a single case, but is some that is left out of the discussion.

What I do find the most interest is that at a time when people are working towards banning smoking in public places because of the risk to second hand smoke, are protesting about pollution, are concerned about plastic bottles leaking chemical into their contents, that there would be this push to add another method to put toxic chemicals into one's body.

based on some peoples logic, a lethal invention called bicycles should be banned for people under 18 based on the amount of injuries and deaths that are caused by them saw a news article about some parents that just bought their 6 year old daughter a bike and the first time she got on it in their drive way, they were not looking, the little girl accidently ran onto the main road and got killed instantly from a passing motorist..

should all things be banned because they kill or injure people of course not!!! sheet happens..

Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, you don't get the part where all laws should be obeyed, even the ones we don't like. I don't like tax-laws, but I pay anyway. I don't like people telling me when and where to fish and hunt, but I respect the laws and do it when and where it is permissible. That is what law abiding citizens do.

So where are you in questioning those laws?

I told you before that I will respect laws which make pot legal when (and if) that happens. I am speaking about it today, because the discussion is today. Now is the time. A lot of people will start talking when the laws have passed, and it's too late. You are possessing and consuming drugs while it is still illegal, which makes you a law-breaker.

It will happen. I think people are starting to realize the toll that prohibition has taken.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
See above.
The only thing I see is you doing everything you can to avoid the point. The only comparison between smoking pot and pedophilia is that they are both illegal and like you, some thing someone else believes shouldn't be.

You are the one you complain about to others and all the same your actions are illegal. That makes them like my avoiding taxes a criminal activity.

That smoking pot is illegal is a simple fact. That you disagree with it being illegal doesn't mean a hill of beans if you get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies