Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They estimate the price of legal marijuana to settle somewhere between $500 and $750 per ounce.

if I wanted I could go get a quarter pound of Jamaican weed for 300 to 350 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
Default Finn you're doing it again...

Quote:
They estimate the price of legal marijuana to settle somewhere between $500 and $750 per ounce.
Who are "they"? Most of the speculation on pricing after legalization (such as a Rand study) says that prices will go down, especially as supply increases, which it surely would. So, show us a citation where someone who doesn't understand economics says that the price of something illegal would actually go up when it was made legal and the supply increased. Or are you just making stuff up again to get everyone excited?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
why do liberals think laws should be written based on opinion polls ?

seriously ?
They shouldn't.

[why is marijuana illegal?]

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
what is your solution for people that smoke pot should they all be locked up in jail?? since you invade every thread about pot I figure you got some axes to grind, but what is it!!! what's your solution for the tens of millions of evil pot smokers??? I'm all ears!!!!
No, I don't have an axe to grind. Do you come to every pot thread to grind axes? Why? Drug legalization is a current issue, which is why I talk about it. I don't recall ever saying they should all be thrown to jail. Where did you get that? I will leave it to the States to decide what kind of punishment they want to give, be it fine, community service or something else. The more conservative States can decide on jail time to discourage drug use in their States. It's up to them, and it is up to the addicts to decide if they want to take the risk. Currently they are taking the risk and paying the price. It is their choice.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
They shouldn't.

[why is marijuana illegal?]

[Lies, money, and propaganda from special interest groups from the past and today.]

Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if I wanted I could go get a quarter pound of Jamaican weed for 300 to 350 dollars
And people will continue to buy the smuggled stuff when the legal stuff is too expansive. The argument that legalization will stop smuggling is nonsense.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Who are "they"? Most of the speculation on pricing after legalization (such as a Rand study) says that prices will go down, especially as supply increases, which it surely would. So, show us a citation where someone who doesn't understand economics says that the price of something illegal would actually go up when it was made legal and the supply increased. Or are you just making stuff up again to get everyone excited?
It all depends on the cut the government asks for.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
They haven't even voted on the taxes yet. They could end up paying over $700 per ounce.

High Marijuana Taxes Could Derail Legalization Plans - Forbes

According to calculations by BOTEC, Kleiman’s consulting firm, these taxes will make the retail cost of cannabis 58 percent higher than it would otherwise be, accounting for 37 percent of the price paid by consumers. One BOTEC projection, based on a production cost of $2 per gram, indicates the after-tax retail price will be $17 per gram, or $482 per ounce. Another projection, based on a production cost of $3 per gram, puts the retail price at $25.50 per gram, or $723 per ounce.

That’s a lot more than pot smokers in Washington currently pay. According to the website Price of Weed, which collects reports from marijuana consumers across the country, the average price for high-quality cannabis in Washington is $239 per ounce.

Colorado’s constitution, unlike Washington’s, requires separate voter approval for new taxes. The price of legal marijuana in Colorado therefore will depend on the fate of Proposition AA, an initiative on next month’s ballot that would authorize not only the 15 percent excise tax mentioned in Amendment 64 but also a special sales tax of up to 15 percent. That’s on top of the standard state and local sales taxes, which in Denver total 8 percent. Meanwhile, voters in Denver, where most pot stores will be located, will decide whether to approve an additional municipal marijuana tax of up to 15 percent.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,388 times
Default I think the key word is could...

Quote:
They haven't even voted on the taxes yet. They could end up paying over $700 per ounce.

High Marijuana Taxes Could Derail Legalization Plans - Forbes

According to calculations by BOTEC, Kleiman’s consulting firm, these taxes will make the retail cost of cannabis 58 percent higher than it would otherwise be, accounting for 37 percent of the price paid by consumers. One BOTEC projection, based on a production cost of $2 per gram, indicates the after-tax retail price will be $17 per gram, or $482 per ounce. Another projection, based on a production cost of $3 per gram, puts the retail price at $25.50 per gram, or $723 per ounce.

That’s a lot more than pot smokers in Washington currently pay. According to the website Price of Weed, which collects reports from marijuana consumers across the country, the average price for high-quality cannabis in Washington is $239 per ounce.

Colorado’s constitution, unlike Washington’s, requires separate voter approval for new taxes. The price of legal marijuana in Colorado therefore will depend on the fate of Proposition AA, an initiative on next month’s ballot that would authorize not only the 15 percent excise tax mentioned in Amendment 64 but also a special sales tax of up to 15 percent. That’s on top of the standard state and local sales taxes, which in Denver total 8 percent. Meanwhile, voters in Denver, where most pot stores will be located, will decide whether to approve an additional municipal marijuana tax of up to 15 percent.
As you quite well point out, the tax issue hasn't been decided yet, but the politicians do know that taxing cannabis to the point where it would cost more than a few dollars more than the illegal stuff isn't going to get rid of the illegal market, which most politicians say they want to impact. So while it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, these numbers are pure speculation at this point, which is basicaly fear mongering.

I am following the debate about taxes going on in these two states, but I'd rather spread facts than speculation on taxes.

I will commend you for actually having a cite for your "information" instead of you're usual MO, so bravo for that!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM

How far will the government go to manipulate the price of marijuana in order to compete with the criminal cartels? Not too far. They will lose the price game and the cartels will continue to provide majority of the drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies