Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and then we have the types who say "I will obey the laws I like, and violate the ones I don't like". Such people are known as "criminals". C-r-i-m-i-n-a-l-s. In Spanish they are called 'criminales' or 'delictivo'.

Oh you mean people like Rosa Parks and other civil rights leaders who refused to obey segregation laws back in the day? Back then they were criminals too....according to law. According to your logic, they are criminals, and you would have supported the law, because it's the law. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in, and protest bad laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Yes, and then we have the types who say "I will obey the laws I like, and violate the ones I don't like". Such people are known as "criminals". C-r-i-m-i-n-a-l-s. In Spanish they are called 'criminales' or 'delictivo'.
Everyone does that to one extent or the other. Anyone that says they never do is a liar.

Ever go over the speed limit? You are willfully ignoring the law.
Ever Jay walk? You are willfully ignoring the law.
Ever have someone give you something that you then sold for a profit and not claim it on taxes? You are willfully ignoring the law
It's illegal to talk on your cell phone and drive here but I see people do it all the time. In many if not most places it's illegal to eat and drive. McDonald's would go broke if people followed that law.
Do you use your turn signal every time?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone does that to one extent or the other. Anyone that says they never do is a liar.

Ever go over the speed limit? You are willfully ignoring the law.
Ever Jay walk? You are willfully ignoring the law.
Ever have someone give you something that you then sold for a profit and not claim it on taxes? You are willfully ignoring the law
It's illegal to talk on your cell phone and drive here but I see people do it all the time. In many if not most places it's illegal to eat and drive. McDonald's would go broke if people followed that law.
Do you use your turn signal every time?

Yes they do. It doesn't make them a bad person. Just because someone consumes cannabis it doesn't make them a bad person. I can think of things that are 100 times worse that people can do than someone smoking a doobie, which is why I have a hard time calling them a criminal. Also, how and why would someone in this country (the so-called land of the free) condone locking someone up for consuming cannabis? How in good conscience can you accept throwing this person in prison with violent offenders! Because then, you will have then created a true criminal! Now this person has a what amounts to a life sentence, because he can't find a job, and will more than likely resort to violence, because of the violent environment that he was placed in! I cannot in good conscience support that!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Translation, I don't like something so others aren't allowed to do it. Perhaps they'll find something that you like to do that they will ban. At any rate there is no middle ground! There is also no proof that cannabis is a gateway drug either.
I've stopped responding to some of the pot heads here because it is a waste of time. However I could not resist this one.

I suspect I have lived longer than you, and since I was born, pot has been illegal in this country. So it has nothing to do with me wanting to take something away from the potheads. Instead it is something they want to change about our society.

As to your assertion that pot is not a gateway drug(and thank you for not doing a deflecting comparison by saying other things are as well), virtually every person I knew growing up in the 70's started with pot and went on to other things. Granted there were a few exception who never got into the other drugs and remained just potheads. But the vast majority of heavy drug users started with pot. Now of course my personal experiences are not scientific, but reports/studies I've read in JAMA, indicate that it is a gateway drug, and are reflective of what I've witnessed.
I know people who are dead or in jail because they smoked pot, lost their ambition, then lost their job, and eventually turned to crime. Some of course went on to things like shooting up heroin. Also when people are smoking pot, they will take the wheel and drive resulting in their own deaths and/or others. A 17 year old kid was hit and killed by a pothead who did not have any other drug in his system. The fool at least admitted to being high even though it was obvious, and seemed to show genuine remorse to the family. Regardless the kid is not coming back, and this fool will undoubtedly smoke his sorrows away in the future.
Now I am getting pissed off thinking about this crap. The OP and the potheads don't like what the AG is doing. Well too friggin bad. I will call the AG's office today to express my support for her holding the line against the lawbreaking dopeheads.
You break the law now, but want your aberrant behavior to be legalized. That desire is no different than other criminals who break the current law, but want their behavior legalized also. Heck you even have pederasts lobbying for the ability to change the age of consent from 18 to 17, but their ultimate goal is to make it legal at a much younger age.
The biggest trouble with liberals is by their very nature they want to tear down the rules of society (in their vernacular, make it better). But what they do not realize is every time morals decay, or aberrant behavior is ok'd by the state, unintended consequences go hand in hand. Before you know it, the very stitching of society becomes unraveled, yet the Utopia they seek will never be at hand, even when the society they worked so hard to change, no longer exists.

`

Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I've stopped responding to some of the pot heads here because it is a waste of time. However I could not resist this one.

I suspect I have lived longer than you, and since I was born, pot has been illegal in this country. So it has nothing to do with me wanting to take something away from the potheads. Instead it is something they want to change about our society.

You mean change society for the better in terms of not having the government and busy body people in this country intervene in someone's private life? Who the f*** are you to tell me what I can and cannot consume, when I've caused NO HARM to other people? There are things that people do that I don't like, but I am not going to tell someone how to live their lives.

As to your assertion that pot is not a gateway drug(and thank you for not doing a deflecting comparison by saying other things are as well), virtually every person I knew growing up in the 70's started with pot and went on to other things. Granted there were a few exception who never got into the other drugs and remained just potheads. But the vast majority of heavy drug users started with pot. Now of course my personal experiences are not scientific, but reports/studies I've read in JAMA, indicate that it is a gateway drug, and are reflective of what I've witnessed.

I'm not every person you grew up with in the 70's. I am one of those so-called minority that hasn't moved on to other things. Trust me, we're not a minority. Perhaps you hung around with folks who had addictive personalities, and were easily swayed by experimenting with other crap? Hell, when I broke my elbow 3 years ago, I told the docs don't you dare prescribe pain meds to me. I don't need them.

I know people who are dead or in jail because they smoked pot, lost their ambition, then lost their job, and eventually turned to crime. Some of course went on to things like shooting up heroin. Also when people are smoking pot, they will take the wheel and drive resulting in their own deaths and/or others. A 17 year old kid was hit and killed by a pothead who did not have any other drug in his system. The fool at least admitted to being high even though it was obvious, and seemed to show genuine remorse to the family. Regardless the kid is not coming back, and this fool will undoubtedly smoke his sorrows away in the future.

Those folks who ended up dead or in jail from smoking pot were acting irresponsibly. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid! And you seem to ASSume that folks when they toke up just want to grab the keys and go on a joyride? Yeah some do, but I can assure you I along with many others are not one of them. For the record (and I've said it many times before) I support punishment for anyone who's actions harm others, be it driving under the influence, assault, or whatever.

Now I am getting pissed off thinking about this crap. The OP and the potheads don't like what the AG is doing. Well too friggin bad. I will call the AG's office today to express my support for her holding the line against the lawbreaking dopeheads.
You break the law now, but want your aberrant behavior to be legalized. That desire is no different than other criminals who break the current law, but want their behavior legalized also. Heck you even have pederasts lobbying for the ability to change the age of consent from 18 to 17, but their ultimate goal is to make it legal at a much younger age.

You're comparing pederasts to pot smoking? Are you f***n' kidding me?

The biggest trouble with liberals is by their very nature they want to tear down the rules of society (in their vernacular, make it better). But what they do not realize is every time morals decay, or aberrant behavior is ok'd by the state, unintended consequences go hand in hand. Before you know it, the very stitching of society becomes unraveled, yet the Utopia they seek will never be at hand, even when the society they worked so hard to change, no longer exists.

`

BZZZT!!!! WRONG! NOT A LIBERAL! IT'S LIBERTARIAN! It's funny how you so-called conservatives preach small government, but then are no different than liberals when it comes to telling people what they can and can't do with their lives. That's mighty big gubbermint of you! I'll give liberals one thing, at least they're honest about wanting to expand the government, and have them in every aspect of our lives. So-called conservatives.... eh.... not so much. If you don't want society to become unraveled then stay the Hell out of everyone's private lives, and worry about your own morality and your own damn self! And you say smoking weed is aberrant? Well I guess those who use it to help what ails them, be it chronic pain, anxiety, or a serious illness such as cancer, AIDS, MS.... ect... or use it to simply unwind is aberrant! Who are you to deny people the right to choose what remedies them, and limit their choices to Big Pharma crap? I find it aberrant that you would deny people their choices to seek whatever remedy helps them.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Oh you mean people like Rosa Parks
I mean people like you. You are a drug offender and you spend your days crying about how unfair the laws are. God knows how many people have been murdered to feed your drug habit.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone does that to one extent or the other. Anyone that says they never do is a liar
Anyone who breaks laws willfully and habitually is a criminal, especially when we are talking about crimes serious enough to land you in prison.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
BZZZT!!!! WRONG! NOT A LIBERAL! IT'S LIBERTARIAN! It's funny how you so-called conservatives preach small government, but then are no different than liberals when it comes to telling people what they can and can't do with their lives.
Having laws and law enforcement is really not a liberal or conservative issue, and exitence of laws is not an indicator of big government. Both sides agree laws are necessary.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I mean people like you. You are a drug offender and you spend your days crying about how unfair the laws are. God knows how many people have been murdered to feed your drug habit.

I can assure you Finn nobody has been murdered from me smoking weed. But oh how you like to ASSume! How do you know I'm not growing it for myself? I'm not, (when it officially becomes legal I may take a crack at it) but that just goes to show that you like to make generalizations, ASSumptions, and pass judgement on people who you don't know. Furthermore, if we'd ACTUALLY learn from history then we'd realize that prohibition does nothing but create a black market and creates more criminals. But we keep repeating history instead of learning from it don't we Finn? That War on Drugs has reeeealllyyyy become a smashing success, hasn't it?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Anyone who breaks laws willfully and habitually is a criminal, especially when we are talking about crimes serious enough to land you in prison.

Thankfully my state isn't that a**backwards (like Florida apparently) where possession of small amounts are going to land me in jail. Unless of course I were to distribute, which I won't. Nope, the small amount that I may have, is just for my own personal use. An example, this past year Cleveland Indians pitcher Chris Perez was charged with a 4th degree misdemenor for possession. He got probation and a $250.00 fine. He had well over 6 ounces of the stuff. I would never dream of keeping that much in my possession due to it's current status. Of course I'm not dumb enough to have it mailed to me either. At any rate my state is working on getting at the very least medical weed on the ballot, but there is also a proposal for recreational weed too. I'm sure that one will fail the first couple of times around (if it even makes it on the ballot), but I expect medical weed if it makes the ballot will be passed, as Ohioans overwhelmingly support it for medical use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies