Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And the people would have to make a special trip TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD.
Just like they have to make a special trip to A GROCERY STORE to buy food which means extra money for gas, and either taking all the children or getting a sitter. Their is no excuse for lack of personal responsibility. Period.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 11-06-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Service interruption

Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, you and your ilk should. European countries have the type of government services, (and taxes!) you all profess to want. So... when does the liberal charity to transport those people begin?

Greedy? Selfish? Self-absorbed? That's the people who want something for nothing. That's not me. I, in direct contrast to the greedy, selfish, and self-absorbed, have earned my keep and provided the means for several others to do so, as well.
So you're saying that ALL people who receive food stamps are just lazy and want something for nothing. You, my friend, are just a vulnerable as any other human being in the world. You cannot control all the circumstances of your life. Fortunate for you Obamacare is law because otherwise you would be just like every other human being and only one serious, catastrophic event away from going bankrupt and one of those "disgusting" needy people out there.

greed·y (grd)adj. greed·i·er, greed·i·est 1. Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.
2. Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous.
3. Extremely eager or desirous

generous [ˈdʒɛnərəs ˈdʒɛnrəs]adj1. willing and liberal in giving away one's money, time, etc.; munificent
2. free from pettiness in character and mind
3. full or plentiful a generous portion

"People like President Bill Clinton and then-Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich claimed they'd be doing welfare recipients a favor in the 1990s when they reformed the welfare program to impose work requirements and make it more difficult for people to get benefits. The idea was that welfare recipients were just lazy and that their government checks were keeping them from working, making them dependent on the government. When the reform legislation passed, with Clinton's signature, some people in the administration quit in protest, arguing that cutting off cash assistance for poor families would push millions of children into poverty. That didn't happen, at least not right away. But funding for the TANF block grant hasn't increased since 1996, meaning that in real terms, what the country spends to help poor families in the program has fallen 30 percent overall since welfare was "reformed," and benefit levels have fallen even more in some states that cut benefits after the financial crisis started in 2007. Not surprisingly, since 1996, the number of families with children living in extreme poverty—that is, on $2 a day or less—has gone up nearly 130 percent."
CHART: Welfare Reform Is Leaving More In Deep Poverty | Mother Jones

In case you've forgotten, Bill Clinton is a Democrat. Maybe you should read the information in the link and look at the chart by CBPP.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM

872 posts, read 828,414 times
Quote:
And the people would have to make a special trip TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD. That means extra money for gas, and either taking all the children or getting a sitter. If birth control pills were provided along with the food stamps benefit if the recipient asked for them, they could get their prescriptions filled at the grocery store pharmacy when they grocery shop.

You have got to be kidding me. So now we need to pay for their gas/bus fair, daycare(which they may already be getting at a reduced price) do they can go and get FREE birth control. SMH.....unbelievable.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Just like they have to make a special trip to A GROCERY STORE to buy food which means extra money for gas, and either taking all the children or getting a sitter.
Their is no excuse for lack of personal responsibility. Period.[/quote]

People MUST EAT in order to stay alive. They DO NOT have to take birth control pills to stay alive. When you're in a hole, you should stop digging.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Just like they have to make a special trip to A GROCERY STORE to buy food which means extra money for gas, and either taking all the children or getting a sitter. Their is no excuse for lack of personal responsibility. Period.
They have no trouble getting themselves to Walmart when the EBT cards are filled.
They have no trouble getting themselves to a phone store when they qualify for a "free" lifeline phone.

Far left progressives would have everyone living in poverty so that no one feels "bad".

Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
And the people would have to make a special trip TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD. That means extra money for gas, and either taking all the children or getting a sitter. If birth control pills were provided along with the food stamps benefit if the recipient asked for them, they could get their prescriptions filled at the grocery store pharmacy when they grocery shop.
BC is available to poor women, that isn't the problem. The problem, if you look at the data, is the women with the highest birth rates don't believe in abortion. Teen pregnancy rates are basically the same in NY and Tennessee, but the women in NY get abortions while people in TN do not. Women that actually want an abortion or free BC have no problem getting to PP or any other health center, but they don't do so when they believe BC and abortion are immoral.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
You have got to be kidding me. So now we need to pay for their gas/bus fair, daycare(which they may already be getting at a reduced price) do they can go and get FREE birth control. SMH.....unbelievable.
With more than half the nation's children being born under medicaid I'd say they aren't bothering to make that trip to PP.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Clearly you have no idea how little money people who receive food stamps have to spend. There is a person I have interviewed related to my work, and his grandfather is 68 years old, receives about $750 per month from SS and food stamps in the amount of about $165. After he pays rent, utilities, water, etc., and even with the food stamps, at the end of each month he is lucky if he has $10 to $15 left over. Yes, he tries to work doing odd jobs he can find, which requires gas for his car and maintenance. He is very thrifty and does not spend any money of "extras." This old man does not smoke nor does he drink alcohol. I don't doubt that there are many FAMILIES out there like him, with little to no "discretionary money" to spend.

I'm not suggesting that YOU or anyone else pay for gas to go to Planned Parenthood. I'm saying that if you and "your ilk" want fewer children who need food, then the food stamp program could also provide payment for birth control pills via pharmacies. MANY, MANY grocery stores also have pharmacies in their stores, so it's one-stop shopping.

People like you are CLEARLY completely clueless regarding how tight money is for the poor. I'd guess you've never, ever done one minute of volunteer work for the poor, and most likely have never even known people who are living in the level of poverty out there TODAY.

Your smugness is noted.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
You don't really want to trade anecdotes, now, do you?
You wouldn't believe mine so why should I believe yours?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They have no trouble getting themselves to Walmart when the EBT cards are filled.
They have no trouble getting themselves to a phone store when they qualify for a "free" lifeline phone.

Far left progressives would have everyone living in poverty so that no one feels "bad".
Food is a necessity of life. It only takes ONE trip to pick up a phone with LIMITED MINUTES and available to poor people so they can get help in an emergency, etc.

Picking up birth control pills at Planned Parenthood would require a trip EVERY MONTH. I don't understand why all you guys who think women are just having babies to get more food stamps would object to make birth control pills MORE EASILY ACCESSIBLE.

As for your absurd that "far left progressives" would have everybody living in poverty, that's just an example of how much you hate everyone who wants to help the less fortunate and probably how much you hate the poor as well. I wonder how often you people would make such statements in public where everyone could see who you are........hiding behind a screen name makes it so easy to express the depth of greed and selfishness people harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies