Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times

Advertisements

A simple, but profound tale that answers your question OP...

Quote:
The Scorpion and the Turtle

A turtle was happily swimming along a river when a scorpion hailed it from the shore.

A scorpion, being a very poor swimmer, asked a turtle to carry him on his back across a river. "Are you mad?" exclaimed the turtle. "You'll sting me while I'm swimming and I'll drown."

"My dear turtle," laughed the scorpion, "if I were to sting you, you would drown and I would go down with you, and drown as well. Now where is the logic in that?"

The turtle thought this over, and saw the logic of the scorpion's statement. "You're right!" cried the turtle. "Hop on!" The scorpion climbed aboard and halfway across the river the scorpion gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle resignedly said:

"Do you mind if I ask you something? You said there'd be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?"

"It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just my character."

The Scorpion and the Turtle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,278 times
Default I Have But One Thing To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Question to you GOP'ers (and anyone else) - Help me understand why the GOP is so ignorant and seems to wish to become a permanent minority party. The decisions by the GOP are quite strange to me, their recent actions don't reflect of a party that has any desire to be a real national party and they consistently vote against the interests of their constituents.

1. Pushing Amnesty - I never understood why there was such an interest by the GOP to bring in millions of people who will likely never vote for the GOP. National polls have shown this, even when the GOP panders exclusively to them. Yet, McCain, and other GOP leaders have a fetish for cheap labor, even if it means destroying the party's ability to ever win a national election again. I understand why the Democrats want it, it will swell their constituency, but the GOP is fooling themselves if they think they'll get any real electoral benefit from mass amnesty. To me, it is strange almost laughable.

2. Sequestration- The GOP votes for Sequestration, and puts up cuts that seriously hurt their interests (namely defense), while the impact to Democrat interests under Sequestration are much more limited. When presented the opportunity to lift sequestration caps during the shutdown, they stubbornly hold to them and willingly continued to cut their nose to spite their face. Again, very strange.

3. Affordable Healthcare and the government shutdown - Rather than making their protest known and capitalizing on the frustrations and negative experiences with the roll out of the ACA, they chose to shutdown the government to make a point. Shifting all the attention away from the problems for nearly a month, they did more to further marginalize themselves in the eyes of the American Electorate.

Worse, instead of offering a viable solution to the ACA or modifying it, they simply wanted to dismantle it. I can't see how this would ever play to the national electorate. Essentially, no matter what your political ideology, the idea of keeping the current broken system, fighting getting more people health insurance coverage and shutting down the government to do so seems like a crazy political strategy.

I can't see how the GOP will be a relevant national party in 10 years, maybe much sooner.
Oh, that hurts, got any more? like filibustering their own bills?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
^^^^^ Hypocrite. And a liar.
the only thing that would make me a hypocrite here, is if i worked for an astroturfing campaign. i don't.

i have no idea why you think i'm a liar. the conservative PACs do hire people to go around posting on the internet.

Quote:
My city's craigslist has, on EVERY day of the week, multiple advertisements recruiting PAID activists for an assortment of Democrat special interest groups. NOT ONE for TEA Party or conservative causes. Ever.
and?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
^^^^^ Hypocrite. And a liar.

My city's craigslist has, on EVERY day of the week, multiple advertisements recruiting PAID activists for an assortment of Democrat special interest groups. NOT ONE for TEA Party or conservative causes. Ever.
Koch Brothers Training Internet Trolls
Daily Kos: EXPOSED: Astroturfed Teabaggers PAID TO TROLL liberals online to enforce corporate propaganda

Training Tea Party Internet Terrorists Caught On Tape! (video)

This video was filmed in Nashville TN. A group tied to the Koch Brothers associate Howie Rich trains Tea Partiers in “guerilla internet tactics.” The presenter instructs his audience to put up false book reviews, as well as give “bad ratings” to documentary films that are embarrassing to the Tea Party. This clip shows us just how twisted, and pathologically dishonest the Tea Party really is.

http://aattp.org/training-tea-party-...on-tape-video/

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-01-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
My only contention is that it depends on which group of Hispanics. My family on my mother's side are Cuban American's. Cuban American's detest big government solutions because they have risked life and limb to leave it. These people are fairly conservative in fiscal terms as well. Their only contention is the immigration issue, which the GOP is beginning to moderate on to some degree.

With regards to Hispanics on the whole, the idea of accepting big government solutions is a by product of the fact that most are of a lower socioeconomic class. Once they move up the social ladder a bit, they begin to moderate. Studies have shown that Hispanics and Asian voting patterns begin to move right once they pass 200% of the poverty level which is indicative of the commonly held axiom that once people start making money they start voting for the GOP regardless of race. Obviously this isn't the case for eveyone and the study itself is a bit of a generalization, but voting patterns certainly shift right once income increases.
Bwahahaha. No, Asians do NOT vote for the GOP. For one thing, Asians have the LOWEST poverty rates, the highest educations rates in America, and highest incomes - so by your logic they should be voting for the GOP in waves. Yet, Asian opposition to the GOP is second only to black Americans. Now, you are correct that people vote for the GOP more as their income rises, but they vote for Democrats more as their education level rise.

The GOP support is strongest among whites that have no college education, but have high income; the second highest support comes from HS dropouts that have medium income. Furthermore, GOP social issues turn off alot of people, including Asians.

Ex:
Anti education.
Anti abortion
Anti government services
Anti science
Pro creation/religion

Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM

7,500 posts, read 5,748,141 times
From Mother Jones?

Mother Jones Shocker: 'New Poll Shows Democratic Incumbents in Big Trouble' | NewsBusters

Interesting eh? Can't wait until next November...

Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Ghost Busters? LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Koch Brothers Training Internet Trolls
Daily Kos: EXPOSED: Astroturfed Teabaggers PAID TO TROLL liberals online to enforce corporate propaganda

Training Tea Party Internet Terrorists Caught On Tape! (video)

This video was filmed in Nashville TN. A group tied to the Koch Brothers associate Howie Rich trains Tea Partiers in “guerilla internet tactics.” The presenter instructs his audience to put up false book reviews, as well as give “bad ratings” to documentary films that are embarrassing to the Tea Party. This clip shows us just how twisted, and pathologically dishonest the Tea Party really is.

Training Tea Party Internet Terrorists Caught On Tape! (video) | Americans Against the Tea Party
Look what I found minutes ago.
Can you say steamroller politics?
Conservative groups driving GOP agenda

Quote:
Virtually unknown outside Washington, a coalition of hardline conservative groups is fighting to seize control of the Republican agenda.
Tea party allies like the Club for Growth, FreedomWorks and Heritage Action for America showed their might by insisting that the GOP embrace the government shutdown that hurt the nation's economy and the party's reputation.
Now emboldened, these groups are warning that their aggressive agenda-pushing tactics aren't over — and they're threatening retribution against Republicans who stand in their way.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Look what I found minutes ago.
Can you say steamroller politics?
Conservative groups driving GOP agenda
They are terrorists and extortionists, plain and simple, but where are the moderate Republicans to stand up to and expose them? These guys are so afraid of being primaried that they have blown any integrity they might have had. I wonder who is finally going to take a stand and quash these radical nuts. And they wonder why they are comng to be known as The Tea party Taliban.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that it serves these members of the GOP right. They let the termites in, so let them deal with the infestation aftermath.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-01-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They are terrorists and extortionists, plain and simple, but where are the moderate Republicans to stand up to and expose them? These guys are so afraid of being primaried that they have blown any integrity they might have had. I wonder who is finally going to take a stand and quash these radical nuts. And they wonder why they are comng to be known as The Tea party Taliban. ''

The more I think about it, the more I feel that it serves these members of the GOP right. They let the termites in, so let them deal with the infestation aftermath.
I've known about these PACS for quite a while now, and don't expect John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, or any other republican that's been serving for a long time to stand up to the teabaggers, they're all pretty much a group of gutless wimps.

I believe the best American voters can hope for is that the democrats retain control of the senate, and win some seats in the house to make up a majority. I do believe most voters are fed up with teabaggers by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies