Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
You're right in that Asian voters almost always vote for Democrats, but it is amplified at the lower incomes levels...specifically among Vietnamese, Korean, Filipino, and other Southeast Asian minorities. However, they do start moving right as their income rises...althought it's still a small number. The Asian community is to some degree like the AA community in terms of voting paterns. Poorer AA/Asians practically ALWAYS vote for Democrats and more wealthy AA/Asian almost always vote for Democrats. I'm not saying the numbers that vote GOP are high in any capacity...I'm saying that traditionally Democratic strongholds begin moving to the right a bit once higher incomes are in play.
I haven't seen any income/voting trend breakdown for Asians or Asian subsets, so you could be right.

Quote:
With regards to your last point...That is a bit of a strawman. You're correct in that higher education (beyond the Bachelor) level tends to move voters to the left, but it's basically a push at the Bachelor level...particularlly with men. So it's kind of a strawman to say that the GOP base is "anti-education."
Here is the break down by education and income level. The GOP does the best among HS grads that have high incomes. Any education beyond HS results in a massive drop of support.

Quote:
The GOP recognizes that our public education system is garbage. We spend more money and get lower results than other countries...the Democratic solution is the same thing the Democratic solution always is...pump money into it. Any talks of reform from the GOP level in favor of charter schools is met with harsh criticism.
Even so, the southern states have the worst school performance in the country. The GOP runs on a platform of defunding higher education (which makes sense because they lose vote if people are educated). Now demographics can play a role, but Kentucky and Tennessee are whiter than average and still perform poorly. I think it is just a cultural issue. The conservative states just don't support education.

Quote:
Anti-abortion: That one is certainly true amongst the religious wing of the party but the more moderate and libertarian republicans could care less about abortion.

Anti-government services: Anything the government does beyond what can't be done in the private sector pulls from entrepreneurial opportunity. All Republicans believe that government has a role to play and no one will deny that...we just differ on how much of a role. Again, it's a strawman. The wording should read anti-excessive government services.
But, Asians prefer government services. So it really doesn't matter why the GOP has a certain stand on an issue if it is not what the voters (Asians) want. This applies to the rest of your post as well.

Quote:
Anti-Science: This one makes me shake my head. I don't disagree with you here. I believe the GOP takes an "anti-science" stance a lot of the time and I don't like it.

Pro Creation/Religion: Kinda falls in line with the anti-science thing. Again...I don't like it. I'm not a Creatoinist by any stretch of the imagination because it isn't science. If you want to teach your kid about "Creation," thats fine...just do it in church. Evolution is the scientific consensus, therefore it should be taught...point blank.

The issue that you left out that I think is worth mentioning is that the GOP is the party supported by small business owners. Small business is the lifeblood of America. These people are the engines of our economy, because all businesses eventually start from humble beginnings. In 2012, 61% of all small business owners supported the GOP and for good reason. The policies espoused by Romney/Ryan are favorable to small business, which is in turn favorable to the citizens of the community they are located in because it creates more jobs, more competition, better prices, and better opportunities. That is the most important thing the GOP represents.
There is some truth to your last statement, but the economy does better under Democrat presidents. Congress holds most of the power, so it could be that R's in Congress just oppose D's presidential policies, but even that can't be the case because D's controlled Congress for most of the last 60 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Data is data even though it's from mother stoned jones.. LMAO! Oh, I can't wait.. No reason for 1/3 of the moonbats to vote because it's not a racism issue. Common 2014!!
2014 won't be race based, the GOP is eating it's own from the inside out if you haven't noticed in the past couple of years, and I along with other democrats are enjoying it. I think John Boehner might be removed as house speaker pretty soon as he is weak, inept and can't keep his party in line or agree on much.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:04 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
2014 won't be race based, the GOP is eating it's own from the inside out if you haven't noticed in the past couple of years, and I along with other democrats are enjoying it. I think John Boehner might be removed as house speaker pretty soon as he is weak, inept and can't keep his party in line or agree on much.
Speak for yourself. I think the best government is when two equally capable sides are debating the best way forward and are willing to compromise. The disaster that the GOP is going down is bad for us as a nation. The old style republicans that were rational, and willing to compromise were good for us as a country. this stuff...this is madness.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
The Republicans have always been better at opposing than proposing, and this bunch have become experts at doing nothing but blind opposition.

Becoming a permanent minority would life a big burden off their shoulders, as they would have to actually come up with anything that's a positive plan. As long as they don't actually have any agenda or plans, they can always go back home and say they were outnumbered. That appeals to their low-info voters.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Speak for yourself. I think the best government is when two equally capable sides are debating the best way forward and are willing to compromise. The disaster that the GOP is going down is bad for us as a nation. The old style republicans that were rational, and willing to compromise were good for us as a country. this stuff...this is madness.
I usually do.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 PM

471 posts, read 601,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Republicans have always been better at opposing than proposing, and this bunch have become experts at doing nothing but blind opposition.

Becoming a permanent minority would life a big burden off their shoulders, as they would have to actually come up with anything that's a positive plan. As long as they don't actually have any agenda or plans, they can always go back home and say they were outnumbered. That appeals to their low-info voters.
I think what you are saying is that being a minority party, they would not be responsible to actually come up with a policy, but could instead, sit back and criticize.

I also think you are correct, there is no real leadership in the GOP, they run people like McCain, who had basically ZERO chance of ever winning a national election and everyone but the GOP leadership knew it. Had it not been for all the Palin hysteria, McCain would have lost in a Mondale sized trouncing. Next, it seems they are going to run people like Paul Ryan, or Rubio, both of which have basically zero chance of winning on a national level. Once again, everyone sees it except GOP leadership. I think the Democrats could run almost anyone and they will beat a Ryan/Rubio type.

Honestly, I have to agree, I don't think the Republicans have had a vision since the 90's and have become the party of follow along and opposition to whatever the democrats do. Except of course for amnesty, which only benefits large corporate donors.

Again, with no vision or leadership, I think they will become a permanent minority in 10 years, especially after the legalization of 20 million new democrat voters, pushed by none other than the GOP itself.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:00 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,368,093 times
considering you voted for obama I dont think you should be calling ANYONE ignorant, liberals own that title...

Old 11-02-2013, 02:11 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
considering you voted for obama I dont think you should be calling ANYONE ignorant, liberals own that title...
Thank you for your incredibly insightful and informing contribution to the conversation. No really. It demonstrates why non-liberals call liberals ignorant. Nothing in it really helped move the conversation forward, it was like watching a child who, unable to win any argument based on reality, just starts calling the other kid names.

Sigh.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I agree with you completely. Great post.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Here is the break down by education and income level. The GOP does the best among HS grads that have high incomes. Any education beyond HS results in a massive drop of support.

Even so, the southern states have the worst school performance in the country. The GOP runs on a platform of defunding higher education (which makes sense because they lose vote if people are educated). Now demographics can play a role, but Kentucky and Tennessee are whiter than average and still perform poorly. I think it is just a cultural issue. The conservative states just don't support education.
Amazing. A bunch of high school graduates have managed to take over the banks, Wall Street, and own all the wealth and corporations. Guess hard work does pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies