Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times

Advertisements

I would say that the Democrats are quickly about to become the party that everyone wants to forget about. Obamacare is a disaster, it is being shown that the Left doesn't care about the people and will lie and do whatever it takes to screw anyone over for their own benefit.

Yep, let the Left wing idiots hang themselves with their own rope and the GOP will look pretty damn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I would say that the Democrats are quickly about to become the party that everyone wants to forget about. Obamacare is a disaster, it is being shown that the Left doesn't care about the people and will lie and do whatever it takes to screw anyone over for their own benefit.

Yep, let the Left wing idiots hang themselves with their own rope and the GOP will look pretty damn good.
Keep drinking the koolaid.

Seriously. While the government website has sucked hard, the idea is popular. And unless they bungle this past January its going to be forgotten. The right isnt producing any new ideas, its steeped in "no".

And it needs to be a party that says "hey your idea sucks, look at mine". It could have stopped Obamacare by simply producing a better plan. It could have beaten Obama in the elections by simply producing a better opponent. Instead it picked...Romney. And the other candidates sucked just as much. Huntsmen wasn't bad, but.....he had no chance in a Republican primary that felt that going for the center was betrayal. Whatever happened to the big tent?

And going for immigration reform was the major takeaway after the recent losses. but the hard right will go ballistic if you do, you're never going to get the independent vote this way-and you need them to be a viable party.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Keep drinking the koolaid.

Seriously. While the government website has sucked hard, the idea is popular. And unless they bungle this past January its going to be forgotten. The right isnt producing any new ideas, its steeped in "no".

And it needs to be a party that says "hey your idea sucks, look at mine". It could have stopped Obamacare by simply producing a better plan. It could have beaten Obama in the elections by simply producing a better opponent. Instead it picked...Romney. And the other candidates sucked just as much. Huntsmen wasn't bad, but.....he had no chance in a Republican primary that felt that going for the center was betrayal. Whatever happened to the big tent?

And going for immigration reform was the major takeaway after the recent losses. but the hard right will go ballistic if you do, you're never going to get the independent vote this way-and you need them to be a viable party.
The radical right has effectively done more for the Dems, in making them sure bets for POTUS & Senate majorities than any Dem ever has. At some point, mainstream Repubs will retake the reins, kicking the RINO TP out. It belongs operating as a 3rd party, just like the Perot folks, who thought they had something lasting.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:42 AM

525 posts, read 508,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The radical right has effectively done more for the Dems, in making them sure bets for POTUS & Senate majorities than any Dem ever has. At some point, mainstream Repubs will retake the reins, kicking the RINO TP out. It belongs operating as a 3rd party, just like the Perot folks, who thought they had something lasting.
It will happen soon. Ted Cruz represents the Tea Party now and, while he is currently popular in the minds of the deluded, he is becoming marginalized and isolated. Ted is the flavor of the month and shouldn't really possess a great deal of staying power. Governor Christie, Jeb, Paul Ryan, and the like will continue to move on doing what they do to secure the nomination. I don't know which one of them it will be but I'm fairly confident that one of those three will be the nominee.

It's my hope that the nomination of a mainstream, moderate, republican, pragmatist will be the death of this tea party experiment.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
It will happen soon. Ted Cruz represents the Tea Party now and, while he is currently popular in the minds of the deluded, he is becoming marginalized and isolated. Ted is the flavor of the month and shouldn't really possess a great deal of staying power. Governor Christie, Jeb, Paul Ryan, and the like will continue to move on doing what they do to secure the nomination. I don't know which one of them it will be but I'm fairly confident that one of those three will be the nominee.

It's my hope that the nomination of a mainstream, moderate, republican, pragmatist will be the death of this tea party experiment.
I agree, although I view it as Christie or Bush, with Rubio and Ryan in the next tier, a significant distance back.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
A person does not adjust their opinion of what policies should be for best interest of the country based on popularity. Way too many voting only on what gets them the most free. that was what Greek people did and now we see the results.The wealth sharing started in the mid 60's has been a march to the bottom for those who have become dependent on it.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
2014 won't be race based, the GOP is eating it's own from the inside out if you haven't noticed in the past couple of years, and I along with other democrats are enjoying it. I think John Boehner might be removed as house speaker pretty soon as he is weak, inept and can't keep his party in line or agree on much.
How come I cannot get any of you making predictions to back it up with a wager about putting a message in your subject line?

2014 is going to be bad for the GOP in the house and the Dems in the senate but not enough to shift control.

You guys might want to check out what some of the non-partisan polls are indicating, you are starting to sound like the reps that thought Romney was going to win.

So, nobody wants to wager on the Dems losing senate seats in 2014? Pretty telling no one wants to back it up.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Question to you GOP'ers (and anyone else) - Help me understand why the GOP is so ignorant and seems to wish to become a permanent minority party. The decisions by the GOP are quite strange to me, their recent actions don't reflect of a party that has any desire to be a real national party and they consistently vote against the interests of their constituents.

1. Pushing Amnesty - I never understood why there was such an interest by the GOP to bring in millions of people who will likely never vote for the GOP. National polls have shown this, even when the GOP panders exclusively to them. Yet, McCain, and other GOP leaders have a fetish for cheap labor, even if it means destroying the party's ability to ever win a national election again. I understand why the Democrats want it, it will swell their constituency, but the GOP is fooling themselves if they think they'll get any real electoral benefit from mass amnesty. To me, it is strange almost laughable.

2. Sequestration- The GOP votes for Sequestration, and puts up cuts that seriously hurt their interests (namely defense), while the impact to Democrat interests under Sequestration are much more limited. When presented the opportunity to lift sequestration caps during the shutdown, they stubbornly hold to them and willingly continued to cut their nose to spite their face. Again, very strange.

3. Affordable Healthcare and the government shutdown - Rather than making their protest known and capitalizing on the frustrations and negative experiences with the roll out of the ACA, they chose to shutdown the government to make a point. Shifting all the attention away from the problems for nearly a month, they did more to further marginalize themselves in the eyes of the American Electorate.

Worse, instead of offering a viable solution to the ACA or modifying it, they simply wanted to dismantle it. I can't see how this would ever play to the national electorate. Essentially, no matter what your political ideology, the idea of keeping the current broken system, fighting getting more people health insurance coverage and shutting down the government to do so seems like a crazy political strategy.

I can't see how the GOP will be a relevant national party in 10 years, maybe much sooner.
conservatives face the same choice nationally, that they faced in California.

Look, not long ago, conservatives could win statewide in California. Yet, as their base dwindled in size, that base become more radical, out of touch, and hateful towards other Californians.

The conservative party in California had a choice focus and try to appeal to ALL voters or stick to an increasingly out of touch, scared, angry, and hateful base, and use their power as the minority party in the state to block the Democratic party agenda.

The conservative party in California picked option 2.

The state of California voters reached a tipping point and basically made the conservative party irrelevant in the state.

I can see the same thing playing out nationally.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,316 times
The GOP leadership would rather ram a candidate through the primary system that can't win but can be controlled rather than a candidate who can win and cannot be controlled. This was an active policy after Reagan.

Sipposedly in the GOP national leadership tight now you have a situation whrerin the largest national campaign consultant agencies all now have representation on the national GOP central committee. If you wish to run for statewide or national office, you cannot get party money unless you use these firms, effectively they vote to give their own firm GOP campaign money. When you use the firm, they give very bad advise which you have to follow and then you lose.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How come I cannot get any of you making predictions to back it up with a wager about putting a message in your subject line?

2014 is going to be bad for the GOP in the house and the Dems in the senate but not enough to shift control.

You guys might want to check out what some of the non-partisan polls are indicating, you are starting to sound like the reps that thought Romney was going to win.

So, nobody wants to wager on the Dems losing senate seats in 2014? Pretty telling no one wants to back it up.
Before the shutdown I would have agreed the Dems could lose seats. But with the Tea party and republicans talking about primary challenges, and the shutdown....I think the Dems will win this next set of election by a slim amount. Not enough to gain control of both house and senate though. So the same status qou, just by slimmer margins.

As we get closer better data will be available to make bets with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies