Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The day they banned smoking on airplanes was the day American freedom died.
Yucky, yucky......I cannot even imagine having to go into and be trapped under a cloud of nicotine in a horrible smelling, ash filled cabin full of smokers in the tight spaces of today's airlines.....much less believe we used to do it. It's a wonder there weren't fires! So un appealing. A smoker can't chew Nicolette or wear a patch for awhile.....talk about addiction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
But he does play there by choice, right ?
He might go by choice, to play his music, his wife on the other hand it forced to smell him until he showers. Hopefully when he gets home and before he climbs in bed with her.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times
I hate smoking but restaurant and bar owners should have the right to make up their own minds about allowing smoking.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Yucky, yucky......I cannot even imagine having to go into and be trapped under a cloud of nicotine in a horrible smelling, ash filled cabin full of smokers in the tight spaces of today's airlines.....much less believe we used to do it. It's a wonder there weren't fires! So un appealing. A smoker can't chew Nicolette or wear a patch for awhile.....talk about addiction!
If I remember correctly, planes used to have a designated section for smokers.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
If you are in Greene County, out of the Springfield city limits you can smoke in bars (and restaurants too, I believe). When they enacted the smoking ban here, it hurt a lot of businesses and helped a lot of other ones.

I am not a smoker, but my philosophy is that you should let people do what they want and if you don't like it, don't patronize the establishment.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
If I remember correctly, planes used to have a designated section for smokers.
Then I go farther back, anyone could smoke anywhere, but then there became a ridiculous smoking section, as though the smoke and smell didn't travel all over the plane. There were rooms in the airport with glass walls dripping with nicotine and all the smokers crammed inside puffing away in an absolute cloud of smoke. They looked ridiculous and smelled worse when they came out of there. Freedom! Not smoking!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I hate smoking but restaurant and bar owners should have the right to make up their own minds about allowing smoking.
That statement if very old fashioned. As long as the general public can provide you with profits, you kinda need to let them decide if they want you to go non smoking. You can't make much money these days letting those few people still smoking make the rules.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
That statement if very old fashioned. As long as the general public can provide you with profits, you kinda need to let them decide if they want you to go non smoking. You can't make much money these days letting those few people still smoking make the rules.
That may be true of restaurants, but typicially, the people who go to bars are smokers. Smoking and drinking just kind of go hand in hand. In fact, there are a lot of people who only smoke when they drink.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I miss the good ole 80's, the last decade when you could light up a cig after having dinner or while having some mixed drinks at a club. It seems like smoking bans have gone over the top, and the once proud American smokers ( which undoubtely gave males that macho attitude, and gave women that sexy, enticing look) are now treated like lepers. My dad has even told me about the time when ashtrays were available inside hospital rooms (ok, I agree this needed to be stopped).

So, if you live or know an area where smoking is still not seen as a vicious and disgusting act, please tell us.
80's? Smoking ban did not go in the Philadelphia suburbs where I live until 2006 or '07. In Jersey I was smoking in bars all through the late 90's and early 2000's. Don't know where you live.

You can still smoke in private clubs in my neck of the woods but I'm not sure of any bars. Used to be one but they stopped allowing smoking. There used to be a rule here that if your business is less than 20% food you have the option of allowing smoking. As a matter of fact there is a bar that's not a club you can still smoke in but it's a dive.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Default Is there any city or county in the US where you can smoke at bars?

Smokers:

You are entirely free to pursue your suicidal habit.

Just step outside.

You can't take the nonsmokers with you by your 2nd hand smoke.

It's the law.

PS: please stop whining about your "rights".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies