Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times

Advertisements

In Philly you can smoke in bars if less than 10% of your revenue comes from food sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Except for a few cities of Indiana(i.e. Bloomington, Indy, Fort Wayne, Terre Haute(and county), Muncie(and county) to name examples), you can smoke in bars as long as no minors under 21 are allowed at anytime the bar is open(even limited hours where minors are allowed inside, isn't permitted for any bar choosing to exempt themselves from the smoking ban, which makes sense to me). A very limited number of restaurants in Indiana decided to choose to go adults only and prohibit minors and reclassify themselves as a bar, when the Indiana ban took effect in 2012. Indiana bars that chose to be exempt have to post clear signage at their entrance(s) stating a warning that smoking is allowed, inside.

I like this a lot more and think it's fairer, than stupidly forcing every last bar(like what Illinois did in 2008) to ban smoking. I've seen the effects of the Illinois ban, and the lack of a bar smoking ban didn't stop some Indiana bars from banning smoking on their own, or opening up as that(i.e. Corby's Irish Pub in South Bend, Center Lounge in Whiting, and most recently Linebacker Lounge in South Bend. and I'm aware Beer Geeks in Highland opened as nonsmoking from the start).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have been to a few chain restuarants in South Carolina (driving up from Fl. to NY) where they still have smoking and non-smoking sections, The other extreme is where in states that you cannot smoke within 100 feet of the resturant entrance. I will tell you that is not eforced and ignored. Restaurant don't want to stop customers waiting on lines for tables from smoking outside.
Agreed, I've never seen the radius rules from a bar's entrance(where it's banned __ feet from the door) ever actively enforced, at any one Illinois restaurant or bar. I still stand a few feet away from the entrance while not going all the distance away(usually 5-8 feet is what I do, and figure out the direction of the wind so that the smoke doesn't blow back inside. and I think Indiana got it right with an 8 feet rule btw, instead of the over the top 15 feet rule from a door in Illinois), if I'm at a restaurant or bar that doesn't have a patio. I prefer bars with smoking allowed patios, since the IL ban started. And for the most part, I smoke so very infrequently, that's its all but never that I feel cravings to smoke if I'm at a restaurant.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 09-14-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 01:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Texas does not have a state-wide smoking ban--and it depends on the city. It's all over the place as far as who does and who does not.

Midland, TX got it right in 2001, and I don't think it has changed since then. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It is left up to the business owner whether or not to prohibit smoking in restaurants, bars and places of business. That's the way it should be.

They could go three ways:

1. Permit smoking in all areas everywhere. Post signs stating that the business was all smoking.

2. Permit smoking in some areas, ban it entirely in others within the same establishment. This is the most expensive option, as just having a "smoking section" wasn't good enough. The owner had to install measures to completely enclose the smoking area(s)--glass, ventilation, whatever it took.

3. Ban smoking everywhere.

When I left, most businesses chose option 3, including some bars and restaurants. Others chose 1--and since there were so few of these, all you had to do was look in the window--the smoke would be so thick that you couldn't see in that well, LOL!

Few chose 2 because of the expense.

I'm an ex-smoker, BTW--Dec 1979. I just patronize businesses that don't allow smoking--but owners should be free to determine whether or not they wish to allow it.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:41 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I miss the good ole 80's, the last decade when you could light up a cig after having dinner or while having some mixed drinks at a club. It seems like smoking bans have gone over the top, and the once proud American smokers ( which undoubtely gave males that macho attitude, and gave women that sexy, enticing look) are now treated like lepers. My dad has even told me about the time when ashtrays were available inside hospital rooms (ok, I agree this needed to be stopped).

So, if you live or know an area where smoking is still not seen as a vicious and disgusting act, please tell us.
I only know of one place where you can smoke a cigarette inside, and that is at a club in Atlanta called Primal. Or at least it was like that in 2009/2010. I don't go to places where indoor cigarette smoke is allowed. Too many problems.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Except for a few cities of Indiana(i.e. Bloomington, Indy, Fort Wayne, Terre Haute(and county), Muncie(and county) to name examples), you can smoke in bars as long as no minors under 21 are allowed at anytime the bar is open(even limited hours where minors are allowed inside, isn't permitted for any bar choosing to exempt themselves from the smoking ban, which makes sense to me). A very limited number of restaurants in Indiana decided to choose to go adults only and prohibit minors and reclassify themselves as a bar, when the Indiana ban took effect in 2012. Indiana bars that chose to be exempt have to post clear signage at their entrance(s) stating a warning that smoking is allowed, inside.

I like this a lot more and think it's fairer, than stupidly forcing every last bar(like what Illinois did in 2008) to ban smoking. I've seen the effects of the Illinois ban, and the lack of a bar smoking ban didn't stop some Indiana bars from banning smoking on their own, or opening up as that(i.e. Corby's Irish Pub in South Bend, Center Lounge in Whiting, and most recently Linebacker Lounge in South Bend. and I'm aware Beer Geeks in Highland opened as nonsmoking from the start).

Agreed, I've never seen the radius rules from a bar's entrance(where it's banned __ feet from the door) ever actively enforced, at any one Illinois restaurant or bar. I still stand a few feet away from the entrance while not going all the distance away(usually 5-8 feet is what I do, and figure out the direction of the wind so that the smoke doesn't blow back inside. and I think Indiana got it right with an 8 feet rule btw, instead of the over the top 15 feet rule from a door in Illinois), if I'm at a restaurant or bar that doesn't have a patio. I prefer bars with smoking allowed patios, since the IL ban started. And for the most part, I smoke so very infrequently, that's its all but never that I feel cravings to smoke if I'm at a restaurant.
In Anchorage, AK, they banned smoking with 25 feet of any business, including parking lots and public parks. Which means that if you are walking downtown the only place you can legally smoke is in the middle of the street.

Smoking in bars and restaurants is still permitted throughout most of Alaska. Anchorage and Juneau are the aberrant exceptions.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
I can where I live. I won't go somewhere that I can't. If a business like a restaurant or bar wants my business they will accommodate me, otherwise I will go somewhere that will. I don't have anything against a place that doesn't allow patrons to smoke, they are targeting a specific part of the market, and they have every right to do so. Just like I have every right not to give them my money. Not really an issue. Now when say a State just arbitrarily makes all say bars prohibit smoking, now that is something else.

It should be up to the business owner not the government. It's not like anyone is forcing businesses to allow smoking, so non-smokers can have their own places of business. It is always best to not have government destroy the voluntary exchanges between free people...

Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I can where I live. I won't go somewhere that I can't. If a business like a restaurant or bar wants my business they will accommodate me, otherwise I will go somewhere that will. I don't have anything against a place that doesn't allow patrons to smoke, they are targeting a specific part of the market, and they have every right to do so. Just like I have every right not to give them my money. Not really an issue. Now when say a State just arbitrarily makes all say bars prohibit smoking, now that is something else.

It should be up to the business owner not the government. It's not like anyone is forcing businesses to allow smoking, so non-smokers can have their own places of business. It is always best to not have government destroy the voluntary exchanges between free people...
I agree. It should be up to the business owner to determine the sort of clientele to which they wish to cater. Most people who both smoke and drink do so simultaneously. Bar owners are keenly aware of this and cater to smokers by placing ashtrays on every table and every few feet on the bar. Bar owners are also aware that prohibiting smoking in their bar will reduce the number of customers. Conversely, by prohibiting smoking in their bar they may also gain non-smoking customers that had not previously visited their establishment because of the previous smoking customers. So the bar owner may come out ahead, or they may take a loss, but in either case it should be the bar owner making the business decision, not the government (at any level) making it for them.

As I previously demonstrated, government mandated smoking bans are not about health concerns. They are entirely about controlling undesired behavior.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I'm happy for smoking restrictions. We can at least have the ILLUSION, no matter how temporary, that the people around us aren't fools.

Yup, I said it.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm happy for smoking restrictions. We can at least have the ILLUSION, no matter how temporary, that the people around us aren't fools.

Yup, I said it.
That illusion is only complete in absolute isolation...

Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I miss the good ole 80's, the last decade when you could light up a cig after having dinner or while having some mixed drinks at a club. It seems like smoking bans have gone over the top, and the once proud American smokers ( which undoubtely gave males that macho attitude, and gave women that sexy, enticing look) are now treated like lepers. My dad has even told me about the time when ashtrays were available inside hospital rooms (ok, I agree this needed to be stopped).

So, if you live or know an area where smoking is still not seen as a vicious and disgusting act, please tell us.
There are plenty of private clubs where you can do this. Private as in you have to pay for membership for the privelage. Google the topic. I know of several cigar clubs around here.

How old is your dad? I remember when doctors and nurses smoked at bedside in military hospitals. We even joke about them asking us to hold their cigs while they changed IVs or gave us meds.
Never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies