Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... what happens when Obama's temporary one year reprieve ends? Same problem all over again for society's contributing class: higher deductibles, higher premiums, narrower doctor and hospital access. Then what?
No doubt it's a kick-the-can while they fumble around trying to fix the mistakes.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 AM

455 posts, read 598,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why would they not be able to offer the no insurance-insurance plans for another year?
The plans are substandard according to the ACA until they're not. The Dems created this mess, the Dems have to fix it LEGALLY.

The Dem leadership has stated that this requires only an "Administrative Change". Wut????????.....Circumventing the legal process instead of trying to fix this via bipartisan effort? Isn't this how we got where we are today in the first place?

In addition:

"The only reason consumers are getting notices about their current coverage changing is because [ObamaCare] requires all policies to cover a broad range of benefits that go beyond what many people choose to purchase today," Ignagni said in a statement.
“Changing the rules after health plans have already met the requirements of the law could destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for consumers."

Obama's fix: Canceled plans may be offered until after midterms | TheHill

Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
So my policy went up $40 a month for the next yr. it originally renewed in feb. now its this december. So will i get my $40 a month back till feb and will my plan now run till feb 2015?

This keeps getting crazier!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
EXACTLY! Congress must vote to implement the new Law!
Also true for an Obamacare in which the penalties have been changed to taxes.

Any chance people might vote differently on it, if they knew it contained new taxes?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why would they not be able to offer the no insurance-insurance plans for another year?
The new Obamacare plan premiums are predicated on the terminated policy holders buying new costlier Obamacare plans. If they stay on their old, more precisely targeted (e.g., doesn't include pediatric dental, maternity, etc., coverage for a couple in their 60s), less expensive plans, the Obamacare plan premiums will necessarily have to skyrocket to cover the Obamacare risk pool.

All Obama's proposed solution does is kick the can down the road a year. But by that time, instead of being a can, it'll have mushroomed into a 100 gallon barrel.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
So my policy went up $40 a month for the next yr. it originally renewed in feb. now its this december. So will i get my $40 a month back till feb and will my plan now run till feb 2015?

This keeps getting crazier!
Why would you get a rate cut? You get to renew your policy if you want and your state says OK and your insurer even wants to let you. You don't get to name your price. The insurers are going to raise your rates like they do every year.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
The plans are substandard according to the ACA until they're not. The Dems created this mess, the Dems have to fix it LEGALLY.
You can't unring a bell.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The new Obamacare plan premiums are predicated on the terminated policy holders buying new costlier Obamacare plans. If they stay on their old, more precisely targeted (e.g., doesn't include pediatric dental, maternity, etc., coverage for a couple in their 60s), less expensive plans, the Obamacare plan premiums will necessarily have to skyrocket to cover the Obamacare risk pool.

All Obama's proposed solution does is kick the can down the road a year. But by that time, instead of being a can, it'll have mushroomed into a 100 gallon barrel.
BS and baloney! The companies make their profits either way. They will not renew lines that are not profitable. And it remains to be seen whether or not ACA policies will make them money in the first place. Insurance stocks stayed pretty much even through the news and that should tell you that it is not a sea change.

My guess is that the majority of people who got a reprieve today will not get renewed. The insurers did not want to deal with the individual market anymore and ACA was a convenient excuse to cancel the policies and blame the government.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It was my understanding that about 4 million, the number of people with private insurance, was to be the number thought to be possibly affected.
Does Obamacare only apply to the private insurance market? No.

Quote:
Employer plans are not generally thought to be ones you do or do not chose to keep.
The employer does, but even they have no choice if a plan doesn't meet Obamacare requirements, rules, and regulations.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why would you get a rate cut? You get to renew your policy if you want and your state says OK and your insurer even wants to let you. You don't get to name your price. The insurers are going to raise your rates like they do every year.
You are missing my point

My policy was for feb 2013-2014 at x dollars

I got a letter that my plan was cancelled with a 1 yr renewal for dec 13-14 but at $40 more a month. Same policy number but new insurance cards and welcome letter. No changes. So now that they are offering old policies shouldnt i get that $40 a month back till feb? That was their quote and promise to me when i started the policy in feb 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies