Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Hey genius. The nuclear option pertains to Presidential appointments. Not filibusters of proposed legislation.
Well genius, I was refering to the Ted Cruz government shutdown that the republicans manufactured in the house so recently.

I actually read the link I posted in the OP and it only applies to judicial appointments, not including the Supreme Court and not legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
What about the fact that the GOP is standing on the wrong side of nearly every social issue in the US? ....
Who freed the slaves?
(hint: it was a Republican in 1863)

Who got the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed?
(hint: 80% of Republicans in both houses voted for the act, 75% of Democrats in both houses voted against the act).

Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
You're not a very astute observer of politics, obviously. Not one single respected politcal analyst out there is making the proclamations that you're spewing. Not one. Especially after the Obamacare fiasco. No one should listen to your blather, as it has not basis in fact or reality.
That's right... insult me, that will make your opinions come true

Just like it did last year, in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...rediction.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by you, 11/5/12
It never fails. The media will trumpet Barack Obama's lead ALL DAY LONG based on exit polls....and then quite literally the numbers will begin to change around 5pm. And then they'll act surprised that the exit polls were wrong. It happens every election. Anyone wanna take a stab why so many Democrats are able to vote at 1030 am....115pm....230pm?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No we don't think we will hold the senate in perpetuity, but since every judicial appointment by the president has been filibustered by the obstructionist republicans and their stated goal from day one, was to hamstring the Obama administration, which they have successfully done since 2009, we figured we might as well make hay while the sun shines.

The republicans would be no less or no more vituperative and hateful towards the nation when they gain power again as they have proven themselves to be during this current administration..
And now Harry Reid has virtually assured that because Democrats will have nothing to fight back with.

LOL

Way to go! We appreciate your assistance!

Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Who freed the slaves?
(hint: it was a Republican in 1863)

Who got the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed?
(hint: 80% of Republicans in both houses voted for the act, 75% of Democrats in both houses voted against the act).
Yeah, let's all jump into our DeLoreans and go back fifty to a hundred and fifty years...

Nice try; everyone knows that the Republicans and the Democrats have gone through a massive paradigm shift and are completely different from what they were... your points are 100% moot.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 PM

89 posts, read 206,272 times
I don't understand what the problem is here. If Republicans want to change the rules or change the law, they should win more elections so they will have more votes in Congress to enact the changes they desire. If we have a Democratic president and a Democratic Senate and a Republican House, logic would dictate that legislation and appointees would probably be closer to what the Democrats want than what the Republicans want.

Also, this "nuclear option" only applies to executive nominees and judicial nominations, not Supreme Court vacancies and proposed legislation. I think Republicans cannot say in good faith that they have respected the office of the (Barack Obama) presidency enough to allow him to fulfil his constitutional duties by nominating judges. Instead, they seem more interested in blocking him at every term and then criticizing him for his lack of effectiveness.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The president hasn't gotten his way. And that has now prompted a change in the Senate rules that would really change the character of the senate. What we should worry about is that we have simply majoritarian rule on either side, and that's just not what the founders intended.

But the president has come to the majority in the Senate and basically said, "change the rules, do it the way I want it done." And I guess there just weren't many voices on the Democrat side of the aisle who that acted the way previous generations of Senators have acted and said "Mr. President, we're with you and we support you. But that's a bridge too far; we just can't go there. You have to restrain yourself." But no, we are not going to follow the Senate rules because of the arrogance of power of this Democrat administration.

So now we we have a constitutional crisis. The checks and balances which have been at the core of this republic have been evaporated by the nuclear option; the checks and balances that say that if you get 51% of the vote that you don't get your way 100% of the time. It is amazing, it's almost a temper tantrum. Never mind the right to extended debate is never more important than one party controls both the Congress and the White House.

The Nuclear Option will turn the Senate into a body that can have its rules broken at any time by a majority of Senators unhappy with any position taken by the minority. It begins with judicial nominations. Next will be executive appointments, then legislation.

This nuclear option ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental power grab. Remember Democrats, you may own this side of the field right now, but you won't own it forever.
I believe this rule change does include executive appointments, (with the exception of SCOTUS).

I agree with your observations, but I don't think the filibuster is part of the constitution. It was a rule set up very early on by the senate itself, but it isn't anything that is codified in law. I could be wrong.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's right... insult me, that will make your opinions come true

Just like it did last year, in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...rediction.html
I didn't insult you. I merely pointed out that your words were nothing more than hyperbole and had no basis in fact. So, why should anyone take you seriously? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the events of the past 6 weeks have, at a minimum, leveled the playing field for 2014 if not boosted the GOP into a clear majority. As I said, not one single respected analyst is making the prediction that you are making, but plenty have now reasserted the GOP's prospects as positive in 2014.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't insult you. I merely pointed out that your words were nothing more than hyperbole and had no basis in fact. So, why should anyone take you seriously? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the events of the past 6 weeks have, at a minimum, leveled the playing field for 2014 if not boosted the GOP into a clear majority. As I said, not one single respected analyst is making the prediction that you are making, but plenty have now reasserted the GOP's prospects as positive in 2014.
Why should we take the confidence of a man who's been so crushingly and publicly incorrect before as bankable fact?

Hope you don't spend too much time in Vegas, man.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Another one who thinks the Founders invented the non-democratic filibuster …
If no less a constitutional scholar than Barack Obama himself says so, who am I to disagree?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies