Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 03:57 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You are so wrong, close to 70% of new cases worldwide are in straight people, not gay people. This lie does nothing to stop the spread of HIV, it helps it spread in straight people by keeping them ignorant. Rather foolish.

From aids.gov:

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM))a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young MSM (aged 13-24 years) accounted for 72% of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24, and 30% of new infections among all MSM. At the end of 2010, an estimated 489,121 (56%) persons living with an HIV diagnosis in the United States were MSM or MSM-IDU.
Above is from: CDC ? Fact Sheet - Gay and Bisexual Men ? Gender ? Risk ? HIV/AIDS

Old 11-28-2013, 03:59 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
WRONG. Gays are a minority here in the USA yet they make up the majority of hiv cases. If aids a "human disease" then why aren't American straights dropping like flies?
Learn to read, I said, worldwide and it is still a human disease, not a gay disease. Keep fooling yourself.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
You are so wrong, close to 70% of new cases worldwide are in straight people, not gay people. This lie does nothing to stop the spread of HIV, it helps it spread in straight people by keeping them ignorant. Rather foolish.
Hey man, as you know, I'm a mostly gay guy, and I fully admit that there are biological reasons that gay men who engage in anal sex are more likely to get HIV than other populations. While I agree it's stupid for straight people to be ignorant, the truth is that gay men need to pay much more attention than straight people and lesbians do.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:05 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Hey man, as you know, I'm a mostly gay guy, and I fully admit that there are biological reasons that gay men who engage in anal sex are more likely to get HIV than other populations. While I agree it's stupid for straight people to be ignorant, the truth is that gay men need to pay much more attention than straight people and lesbians do.
Then you'll also agree it's stupid for gays to be ignorant and claim their lifestyle is essentially of no more risk than heterosexuals'.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Then you'll also agree it's stupid for gays to be ignorant and claim their lifestyle is essentially of no more risk than heterosexuals'.
"Lifestyle" is generally considered a bigoted code word. This is solely about health issues.

It really depends on what gay men are doing. If they aren't having anal sex, they really aren't at any higher risk than heterosexuals are (outside of possibly being more likely to encounter infected partners.) If they're having unprotected anal sex, then the risk is much higher than for heterosexuals due to the percentage of the population that has it, switching roles, and that anal sex is riskier than vaginal sex (obviously, if heterosexuals are having anal sex, the latter doesn't apply.) That's why it's essential for gay men to wear condoms if they're having anal sex.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:17 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you on that. I do not practice anal sex, giving or receiving. But there is too much ignorance out there about HIV and AIDS and much misinformation being spread that makes straight people think it is a gay disease. Safe sex practices should be standard safety precautions with both gay and straight people and the rapid spread of HIV and AIDS in the early 80's was mainly due to unsafe sex. It hit the gay population particularly hard due to a higher rate of anal sex with gay men and many gay men not being in stable monogamous relationships. I met my partner, now spouse in 1979 and never really dated before I met him. When the AIDS crisis hit, I was only coming to full terms with my sexuality and it dampened any desire to explore and risk the potential of early death.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you on that. I do not practice anal sex, giving or receiving. But there is too much ignorance out there about HIV and AIDS and much misinformation being spread that makes straight people think it is a gay disease. Safe sex practices should be standard safety precautions with both gay and straight people and the rapid spread of HIV and AIDS in the early 80's was mainly due to unsafe sex. It hit the gay population particularly hard due to a higher rate of anal sex with gay men and many gay men not being in stable monogamous relationships. I met my partner, now spouse in 1979 and never really dated before I met him. When the AIDS crisis hit, I was only coming to full terms with my sexuality and it dampened any desire to explore and risk the potential of early death.
This I can agree on.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
+1 for you

I appreciate your honesty and you are on the money.

While you say it's stupid for straight people to be ignorant - some straight people do care, and it's really a human health and safety issue. Especially when there are innocent people expecting a normal relationship, and they have no idea about the other partner's sexual history.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:54 PM

349 posts, read 422,950 times
Gay men sticking their penises in an area where it's not supposed to go into (anal cavity) and wondering why they get AIDS? Lol.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Gay men sticking their penises in an area where it's not supposed to go into (anal cavity) and wondering why they get AIDS? Lol.
You do realize that AIDS does not come from having anal sex, right?

If two people have never had sex, or are HIV negative, there is no way for them to get or pass AIDS having sex together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies