Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And I have family members who can FINALLY afford to buy health insurance thanks to the ACA. I AM glad my tax dollars are paying for others to have health insurance. It IS very fair. Extremely.

Lucky them but you are choosing to ignore the fact that many others are being priced out of being able to afford health insurance due to the ACA so it's hurting at least as many as it is helping which makes it pretty much worthless. This program is hurting many families, including my own. No one seems to care about people like us though for some reason. I don't really get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:26 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think I was clear that many people simply cannot afford for their taxes to rise much more. A large raise in taxes, which would be required for something so large as socialized medicine, would push many into poverty.

I didn't say a large raise. I said I would agree to an increase. I'm sure if Big Business paid their fair share, the inheritance tax and capital gains taxes were fixed that would go a long way to funding socialized medicine. Also, if we cut out tax refunds and all the loopholes that go along with those it would go a long way. I'd guess we'd hardly have to raise taxes at all for the middle class.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:28 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Lucky them but you are choosing to ignore the fact that many others are being priced out of being able to afford health insurance due to the ACA so it's hurting at least as many as it is helping which makes it pretty much worthless. This program is hurting many families, including my own. No one seems to care about people like us though for some reason. I don't really get it.

I'd hardly call them lucky. The people I am talking about have pre-existing conditions which prevented them from affording health insurance for much of their adult lives.

This program is helping many, many families as well. I don't think its perfect but it is helping people.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I'd hardly call them lucky. The people I am talking about have pre-existing conditions which prevented them from affording health insurance for much of their adult lives.

This program is helping many, many families as well. I don't think its perfect but it is helping people.

and hurting many many families, like mine.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:31 PM

169 posts, read 195,509 times
Quote:
And for every 1 you hear helping there are 5 stories of it hurting.
My Ex had cancer and needed this program due to Pre Existing. Her costs are going up tremendously which she cannot afford.

Last edited by Doubletrouble; 12-29-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
So you are against all taxation?
How did you come to that conclusion? Hell, I think EVERYONE should pay taxes..
Quote:
Why are you blaming programs like welfare for the actions of those in power???? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Thank goodness we do have these social safety nets otherwise thousands of Americans would be up ****'s creek without a paddle.
Do people not vote for those in power?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I didn't say a large raise. I said I would agree to an increase. I'm sure if Big Business paid their fair share, the inheritance tax and capital gains taxes were fixed that would go a long way to funding socialized medicine. Also, if we cut out tax refunds and all the loopholes that go along with those it would go a long way. I'd guess we'd hardly have to raise taxes at all for the middle class.
If people are paying hundreds of dollars each now to have health insurance, why do you think the government could afford to cover everyone for pennies?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
I think I was clear that many people simply cannot afford for their taxes to rise much more. A large raise in taxes, which would be required for something so large as socialized medicine, would push many into poverty.
You're not looking at the big picture. If there was cradle to grave medical care paid for by taxpayers similar to medicare, then employers wouldn't have to contribute to the employee's health plan and the employers would be able to pass a portion of that money along to the employee. A definite win-win. Also the money now paid by individuals for insurance premiums would be applied to the taxes required to fund the system.

One fact overlooked is that the administrative cost of Medicare is less than 1.5% of the total as provided in this link.

Medicare’s administrative costs were $8 billion in 2011, or 1.4 percent of total Medicare spending of $549 billion that year. Those figures come from the latest annual report of the Medicare trustees, prepared by OACT (Office of the Actuary within the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services).

Important: What are Medicare’s true administrative costs? - PNHP's Official Blog

The administrative cost for private insurance runs in the neighborhood of 14 -19%.

So in the end, the increase in taxes to the individual would be minimal. And of course there would be subsidies and credits for individuals who show a hardship to pay the tax just like there is child credits, earned income credits, etc, etc.

So I don't think your prognostication that the taxes would be un-affordable really holds water.

Quote:

There are millions of people seeing their hours cut, and millions more losing insurance all together, and the business aspect of ACA has been delayed for a year to minimize any effects.. How is millions losing income and others losing insurance, helping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If people are paying hundreds of dollars each now to have health insurance, why do you think the government could afford to cover everyone for pennies?
Exactly. I have no idea why one would assume that socialized care would just lead to a small increase in taxes. Maybe in an idealistic fantasy world it would be cheap or even free but in the real world the tax increase would be significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies