Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Reeves was not rude to ask/tell the guy to stop texting. Even if he had been, a normal person would just stop. I don't care who he was texting, that is irrelevant. He can take that out to the lobby. It was nasty to mock the older man when he went to complain. It was assault to throw the popcorn and the guy certainly didn't expect it to end there, he was looking for a fight doing that. Picking a fight with a senior citizen? Really? It's a tragedy and no winners here, but popcorn guy was a bully and if he had had manners he would have stopped the texting or at least not escalated things by making fun of Reeves.
Once again, I agree. That salty popcorn in the face and eyes might have been far more harmful. The dead guy was a loud, inconsiderate bully and the old fella had no idea of what he might be capable. He had already proven himself to be a belligerent snot. Tossing unknown objects into someone's face is assault. Period.

The old fella will walk. As he should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The local Tampa radio station is reporting the Reeves wrestled with the off-duty cop and only gave up the struggle when the gun jammed. So this psycho was likely trying to shoot someone else as well. Crazy gramps will never walk a free man again and that is a good thing.
And you haven't learned to not trust the media and their blatant lying?

What a shame.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
He looks like a senior citizen to me. Do you pick physical fights with someone thirty years older? Early 40s vs. 70, that is a generations difference. I can't believe people are defending being threatening to a senior. See how you feel at 70 vs 40, even if you don't look frail.

I notice people of a certain age sometimes tend to get ornery, and it's not expecting too much for a Gen Xer in the prime of life to give a little leeway to an obviously older man without making a big deal.

Just saying, that would have been proper. Reeves is off his nut obviously and clearly hates texting, I wonder if he has a cell phone himself or is anti-tech.
Who picked the fight? The guy texting his kids day care, or the guy with a gun that decided it was his job to stop a perfectly legal activity?

Only ONE of these people started anything, and it wasn't the guy texting before the turn off cell phones notice.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Texting before the movie starts is not against any rule. If someone gets annoyed that is their problem, not the person who is well within the rules of the location.

If me wearing a red shirt annoys someone and they tell me to change it, am I required to run change my shirt?

If I am doing something that is not breaking ANY rule, then others need to mind their own business.
Reeves was the one breaking the theater rules, not the victim.
I'm not sure that that is true, I don't live in Fla and have not been to that theater. CNN reported that the rules of that theater state that cell phone use is not allowed "in the auditorium" including texting. For what it's worth. There was nothing in there about the movie playing or not. Perhaps they want people to use cell phones only in the lobby or outside. That would make sense to me.

Guns are prohibited there, so sure, bringing it in was wrong as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
He looks like a senior citizen to me. Do you pick physical fights with someone thirty years older? Early 40s vs. 70, that is a generations difference. I can't believe people are defending being threatening to a senior. See how you feel at 70 vs 40, even if you don't look frail.

I notice people of a certain age sometimes tend to get ornery, and it's not expecting too much for a Gen Xer in the prime of life to give a little leeway to an obviously older man without making a big deal.

Just saying, that would have been proper. Reeves is off his nut obviously and clearly hates texting, I wonder if he has a cell phone himself or is anti-tech.
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse because he did not pick the fight. The 70 year old initiated this fracas, left to find a manager, then returned. Feeling genuinely threatened, you don't leave your wife behind to go seek out a manager. You also don't show remarkable disregard for her feelings and well being by pulling your pistol out to service your lack of automatic respect deficit.

Cripes Tamajane I have no idea where you're coming from on this one. A guy is dead and another will very likely not see the light of day with his family for a whole bunch of years and you decide it's a simple little phobia of Reeves being anti-tech that others should automatically accommodate? I don't get this at all.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that that is true, I don't live in Fla and have not been to that theater. CNN reported that the rules of that theater state that cell phone use is not allowed "in the auditorium" including texting. For what it's worth. There was nothing in there about the movie playing or not. Perhaps they want people to use cell phones only in the lobby or outside. That would make sense to me.

Guns are prohibited there, so sure, bringing it in was wrong as well.
I, personally, find killing someone during the previews a little more disruptive than sending a text. I'm sure the other people in the theater agree, including the guy that had a man bleeding on his lap before he died. I wonder what the opinion of all of the other people in all of the other theaters that had to evacuate is? I bet they would have never had to be evacuated for someone texting if some idiot didn't think he was the law, and could shoot at will.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse because he did not pick the fight. The 70 year old initiated this fracas, left to find a manager, then returned. Feeling genuinely threatened, you don't leave your wife behind to go seek out a manager. You also don't show remarkable disregard for her feelings and well being by pulling your pistol out to service your lack of automatic respect deficit.

Cripes Tamajane I have no idea where you're coming from on this one. A guy is dead and another will very likely not see the light of day with his family for a whole bunch of years and you decide it's a simple little phobia of Reeves being anti-tech that others should automatically accommodate? I don't get this at all.
Ooh, please. Talk about obtuse.

Asking someone to not text is not picking a fight. Throwing popcorn into someone's face is.

Don't you feel silly now?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Reeves was not rude to ask/tell the guy to stop texting. Even if he had been, a normal person would just stop. I don't care who he was texting, that is irrelevant. He can take that out to the lobby. It was nasty to mock the older man when he went to complain. It was assault to throw the popcorn and the guy certainly didn't expect it to end there, he was looking for a fight doing that. Picking a fight with a senior citizen? Really? It's a tragedy and no winners here, but popcorn guy was a bully and if he had had manners he would have stopped the texting or at least not escalated things by making fun of Reeves.
Absolutely correct.

Popcorn guy was clearly a jerk and needed to be challenged. And I back Reeves 100% up to the point of pulling the gun - the presence of which IS the core of the problem, but few want to talk about.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:21 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Throwing popcorn and killing someone are two different things. Popcorn wouldn't hurt anyone. It might make you mad, but isn't that what is supposed to separate humans from animals? We are supposed to be able to control our anger, not act on it like a fool. The shooter took another person's life. How anyone can defend him is beyond me. If as an elderly man he has issues, then he shouldn't be out in public. He did not need a gun in a movie theater, and he definitely did not need to shoot someone.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,180 times
Just to be clear and fair, the eyewitness says he has no idea who threw the popcorn. It is premature (and wrong IMHO) to assume it was the victim. It could have even been others in the theater who wanted the commotion to stop.

Retired Fla. officer Curtis Reeves tells moviegoer to stop texting, then fatally shoots him, police say | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies