Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Well if it is apparent this retired cop killed a guy for throwing popcorn, the authorities should look into his background a little deeper. How many people has he killed while being a police officer.
What I posted was about the PERSON WHO WAS MURDERED, NOT the shooter!

Reeves: Shooter, ex-cop

Oulsen: Murder Victim, ex-Navy

jeez........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol. 71 isn't that old!

The only thing wrong with the old fella is he's sick to death of young know-it-alls taking their noisy toys into places where people pay to enjoy what they went there for. The young fella was showing ZERO respect to other patrons.

There are reasons phones and toys aren't allowed in certain public places. Learn from it.
So it's OK to shoot and kill someone over it?? Man you are a sick ****-stay out of Australia, please!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Let me ask you, do you know that the man who was shot was posing no threat to the shooter?
We can deduce some in position of authority think that, as the shooter has been charged with 2nd degree murder AND denied bail with the comment from the judge being: "this does not satisfy the requirement of SYG law where substantial threat to personal safety was present".

So we "know" that someone in a position authorized to adjudicate the preliminary aspect of charge being laid and assignment of bail, determined the threat posed by mister texter and his popcorn was not sufficient to pass the test of being of "life threatening" proportions.

The test requires a substantial threat not just ANY threat. In this case butter from Mr.texter's popcorn staining Mr. shooter's shirt front did not rise to that standard. Who'da thought?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Our society has turned into an very arrogant one. Most people know better than to act out bad behavior but choose to do it anyway in a very "in-your-face" manner. I regret one of these were killed but I feel more regret for the person, who like most of us, has had about as much as they can stand.

This event just goes to show that texting can really be bad for you health.

IMO, I think we need a law where if a person is in a public place where cell phones/texting is prohibited and they use they cell phone or text then the general public should have the right to take their cell phone and shove it up their ass.
I have the right in Texas to shoot you if you try to lay hands on me.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You are correct, well said. What we needs to be revealed is exactly how far this escalated before the shot was fired.
It could well come out that the dead guy said something along the lines of "how about I come over there and kick your arse old man"?
It could also come out that the dead guy said "Geeze, I'm sorry but you don't have to be an arse about it".

Not enough information on what went down as of yet, nor do we know the background of the dead guy. Was he given to violent outbursts? Was he a meek,mild good old dad type guy? Any road rage or assaults in HIS past?
As for the shooter, one would think with a long career in L.E. he's quite aware on how to diffuse a violent situation so just on the face of it you'd think something more happened. Of course, he could've been one of those "badge heavy" cops. Again, not enough info yet.
I've been there and done that with a gun on my hip in the early 80s. My response was, "Okay, hey man, it's cool. I'll just go over there."

And I'm thinking, "I don't want to end up shooting this guy over silly crap."

Old 01-15-2014, 08:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
First, I want to make it clear that I have no details about the incident. If the victim made threats against the shooter before throwing popcorn in his face, the shooter may have concluded that a physical assault was beginning. Throwing something in the face to blind or distract someone is a common tactic when initiating an attack.
AND the shooter would have been wrong making such a deduction as the judge apparently decided.

"A common tactic used when making an attack"; goodness me; you've just deduced something not in evidence as no attack was made.

In all of this 'to and fro'ing, you've not been paying attention to what HAS been established. No attack was made immediately after the tossing of the distracting popcorn. The shooter had enough time to reach into his pant's pocket draw his pistola, the victim's wife had enough time to try to pull her husband out of the way after the pistol was drawn.

In any situation I've witnessed where a thrown object is used as a distraction before an attack, the attack occurs simultaneously or at the very least, micro-seconds behind the distraction or else the very word distraction ceases to be operative in execution.

Shooter concocted the SYG scenario after sitting there afflicted with the usual remorse AFTER a shooting "oh fugg me, what have I just done? Better come up with something to justify my stupid behaviour. Oh I know, I'll use the old SYG ruse."

You have also failed to note that the off duty deputy who restrained this old dude also mentioned in his statement the semi-auto had "jammed" and was still jammed when he secured it. Ooopsy! If the old guy was true to form for his years of training: perhaps an intended double tap to center mass. Ya gotta love this chit.

In nearly every other civilized country where laws of self defense exist they attempt to address meeting perceived threat with like force in response. Too bad old Kojak hadn't been a cop under that type of system for a bunch of years as he'd have resorted to blitzing back to the lobby to buy himself a BIGGER bag of popcorn.

All those witnesses present would have ignored the main feature starting up and have watched spell bound as too mature dudes proceeded to throw popcorn at each other. "Myrtle here's a fifty, run to the lobby and buy me five mega-boxes with extra butter; this dudes going down!"

Last edited by BruSan; 01-15-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Sorry but I don't find any aspect of this story to be believable. Ex cop shoots man who was texting his 3 year old daughter during the previews. Ex cop is tackled and subdued by an off duty cop who just so happens to be sitting next to him. Two nurses attend to the victim inside of the movie theater (have we heard anything from those two nurses yet?) Shooter, ex cop's cop son shows up at the theater right after the shooting. Shooter is cuffed in the front, put into a Hazmat suit, given a bottle of water and is allowed to freely walk himself to the police car. People really believe this?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry but I don't find any aspect of this story to be believable. Ex cop shoots man who was texting his 3 year old daughter during the previews. Ex cop is tackled and subdued by an off duty cop who just so happens to be sitting next to him. Two nurses attend to the victim inside of the movie theater (have we heard anything from those two nurses yet?) Shooter, ex cop's cop son shows up at the theater right after the shooting. Shooter is cuffed in the front, put into a Hazmat suit, given a bottle of water and is allowed to freely walk himself to the police car. People really believe this?
It's all a muddle right now. It will take some time before accurate details emerge.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And you claim to not be a conspiracy theorist???? Yikes!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Too bad the guy threw a bag of pop corn at a guy who was angry and had a gun. One never knows what reaction one will have so we should all stay civil and don't provoke anyone who is angry already.. one could wind up dead. Sad lesson .. we never know what can happen .. it isn't the first time and will not be the last.
Throwing popcorn at someone is definitely rude, and the person who did that should be punished for it. However, shooting that person wasn't worth it. You don't shoot someone over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies