Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry but I don't find any aspect of this story to be believable. Ex cop shoots man who was texting his 3 year old daughter during the previews. Ex cop is tackled and subdued by an off duty cop who just so happens to be sitting next to him. Two nurses attend to the victim inside of the movie theater (have we heard anything from those two nurses yet?) Shooter, ex cop's cop son shows up at the theater right after the shooting. Shooter is cuffed in the front, put into a Hazmat suit, given a bottle of water and is allowed to freely walk himself to the police car. People really believe this?
Well you have a couple of things incorrect such as the proximity of the restraining off duty cop and the fact the perp's hands were "flex tied" not cuffed but they were in front of him which the arresting sheriffs department has already addressed in questions from the press (how come?) when the guy was ushered out of the theater.

I believe the suspect was behaving in a manner to suggest he was subject to major stress and they made a decision he was under adequate restraint and compliant enough so he was allowed to drink water while being transferred to a vehicle.

Truth is often stranger than either fiction or perceived conspiracies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And you claim to not be a conspiracy theorist???? Yikes!
When I have I made such a claim? Conspiracies do exists so I guess I am a "conspiracy theorist". Even though I find that particular term to be intentionally derogatory and designed to squash critical thought as is the term, "tin foil hat" that I'm sure will be thrown out at any moment. Yikes!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
When I have I made such a claim? Conspiracies do exists so I guess I am a "conspiracy theorist". Even though I find that particular term to be intentionally derogatory and designed to squash critical thought as is the term, "tin foil hat" that I'm sure will be thrown out at any moment. Yikes!!!!!!!!
Is it your conjecture this retired cop has been the focal point of a conspiracy to foment further gun control?

Is it your belief he's been given preferential treatment by law enforcement?

He's been denied bail and is sitting in a lock-up somewhere with nothing but his present regrets and dismal future to ponder.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
So you are postulating this shooting never happened?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you are postulating this shooting never happened?
I'm saying, don't believe everything you see on TV. It most certainly could be true but there are enough holes in the story to make a person think twice about accepting it at face value. We know that there is a major battle over gun rights (constitutional rights) going on right now. We need to be paying attention to these types of incidents and dig deeper. Remember that it is legal under the NDAA for our government to use propaganda on it's own citizens. I'm not saying that it did not happen but I am saying that when these types of incidents happen, incidents that spark debate over constitutional rights, we should examine them closer before just accepting what we are told by authorities and demanding" solutions", such as gun control. I am asking people to think and not just react.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'm saying, don't believe everything you see on TV. It most certainly could be true but there are enough holes in the story to make a person think twice about accepting it at face value. We know that there is a major battle over gun rights (constitutional rights) going on right now. We need to be paying attention to these types of incidents and dig deeper. Remember that it is legal under the NDAA for our government to use propaganda on it's own citizens. I'm not saying that it did not happen but I am saying that when these types of incidents happen, incidents that spark debate over constitutional rights, we should examine them closer before just accepting what we are told by authorities and demanding" solutions", such as gun control. I am asking people to think and not just react.
Well here's my take on this; the vast majority of posts on this topic haven't even mentioned gun controls.

The vast majority have indeed simply confined their offerings to whether or not the gun in a theater or the use of a gun to resolve a verbal dispute is appropriate.

There are plenty of laws already on the books regarding the legal acquisition of firearms and also for the carrying of those.

I would think that active policing of current laws should first be attempted before adding new ones that would also go ignored.

You cannot eliminate firearms in American society and that has nothing whatsoever to do with an existing Constitutional Amendment as they are changed to suit the ruling hierarchy and current security demands on a mere whim of the relevant agencies. It has also nothing to do with America being founded in the crucible of armed strife. It is rather, the result of generations of weapons proliferation to the point there are literally millions of the things out there. There would be no effective way to eliminate them short of genocide.

You cannot find an effective way to weed out those of questionable temperament or mental stability either as that changes often and those already in possession aren't even going to be looked at.

In short; you've created this boondoggle, now you're going to live with it and the increase in frequency of these terrible events until there is a massive change in ethical underpinnings of your whole society.

Think that's at all likely??

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
I think the irony is that Mr Reeves was peeved about someone breaking the rules, but was oblivious to the fact the by carrying a gun into the theater, he was also breaking the rules.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well here's my take on this; the vast majority of posts on this topic haven't even mentioned gun controls.

The vast majority have indeed simply confined their offerings to whether or not the gun in a theater or the use of a gun to resolve a verbal dispute is appropriate.

There are plenty of laws already on the books regarding the legal acquisition of firearms and also for the carrying of those.

I would think that active policing of current laws should first be attempted before adding new ones that would also go ignored.

You cannot eliminate firearms in American society and that has nothing whatsoever to do with an existing Constitutional Amendment as they are changed to suit the ruling hierarchy and current security demands on a mere whim of the relevant agencies. It has also nothing to do with America being founded in the crucible of armed strife. It is rather, the result of generations of weapons proliferation to the point there are literally millions of the things out there. There would be no effective way to eliminate them short of genocide.

You cannot find an effective way to weed out those of questionable temperament or mental stability either as that changes often and those already in possession aren't even going to be looked at.

In short; you've created this boondoggle, now you're going to live with it and the increase in frequency of these terrible events until there is a massive change in ethical underpinnings of your whole society.

Think that's at all likely??
Access to guns are going to be restricted to those of "questionable temperament" or "mental instability" whether we agree to it or not. Obama has made that clear when he signed executive orders early this January regarding mental health records and gun control. Guns won't be outright banned anytime soon but we are seeing a very gradual erosion.

Why are these types of mass shootings happening with such great frequency? What has changed to cause this huge uptick in these types of incidents? Could any of these incidents possibly be contrived to create fear which leads people to ask authorities for more protection which then leads to more laws and in turn, more top down control? Could this possibly be a case of "problem, action solution" where those in power create a problem, citizens then beg for action and then those in power offer a solution? It's a tried and true way for those in power to make people think that their loss of freedom is their own idea. We are trading our freedom for security and the perception of safety all of the time. Just some things to think about.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Access to guns are going to be restricted to those of "questionable temperament" or "mental instability" whether we agree to it or not. Obama has made that clear when he signed executive orders early this January regarding mental health records and gun control. Guns won't be outright banned anytime soon but we are seeing a very gradual erosion.

Why are these types of mass shootings happening with such great frequency? What has changed to cause this huge uptick in these types of incidents? Could any of these incidents possibly be contrived to create fear which leads people to ask authorities for more protection which then leads to more laws and in turn, more top down control? Could this possibly be a case of "problem, action solution" where those is power create a problem, citizens then beg for action and then those in power offer a solution? It's a tried and true way for those in power to make people think that their loss of freedom is their own idea. We are trading our freedom for security and the perception of safety all of the time. Just some things to think about.
Whew! Well, I'll give you this; I'm thinking.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:

Why are these types of mass shootings happening with such great frequency? What has changed to cause this huge uptick in these types of incidents? Could any of these incidents possibly be contrived to create fear which leads people to ask authorities for more protection which then leads to more laws and in turn, more top down control? Could this possibly be a case of "problem, action solution" where those is power create a problem, citizens then beg for action and then those in power offer a solution? It's a tried and true way for those in power to make people think that their loss of freedom is their own idea. We are trading our freedom for security and the perception of safety all of the time. Just some things to think about.
Well, first of all, this wasn't a mass shooting.

And these types of incidents are still remarkably rare, when you consider how many people actually have access to guns in this country.

The thought that these incidents are "contrived to create fear" is simply not rational. Because they don't lead people to ask authorities for more protection which then leads to more laws and in turn, more top-down control. They are just as likely to lead to more people purchasing guns for personal protection. So any conspirator in the government organizing such incidents would have to be completely insane. Moreover, positing that Mr Reeves, a 71-year old retired LEO who also worked for Busch Gardens as a director of security, who probably has an excellent pension and retirement income, would involve himself in such a conspiracy, simply doesn't make any sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies