Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is true for pretty much all sports on the elite level. Tour de France cyclists, elite soccer players, etc. etc. - pressing the human body to the limits to that extreme will never be healthy.
Football is potentially and actually far more damaging to the individuals bodies than most all other sports.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Gdam it's fun though. I wish I was young again cause I'd go "Oklahoma Drill" all day long.......

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Who cares it watch more than Olympics. metals? Football players must be saying Metals? We don't need no stinking metals; we'll take the millions:fool.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

FOOTBALL 'A Sport That Sucks' SAYS DUTCH OLYMPIC COACH - YouTube

I heard this on Rush Limbaugh the other day. Rush said that was an indication of how much influence the US left has around the world. There is a certain segment on the left that is salivating to go after football the same as was done with tobacco in the 1990's. I could be wrong, but I think eventually this will happen via litigation, same as with tobacco. It will take years due to the popularity of football, but I think it will happen in due course.

Dutch speed skaters have won 23 of 36 medals thus far at the Sochi Olympics. Coach Jillert Anema says the US can't compete with the Dutch because we waste our talent on a "foolish sport."

And we care about what the Dutch think, why??

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Nobody wants their kids to play it.......lol. But boys do what boys do. Hell my kid is a 180 pound safety in the highest division in the state. Man I never worried about him getting hurt until last year. There are some big boys out there. He is quick as a rat though and gets around em all. He did get blown up on punt coverage but just jogged off the field I though he was done.......One more year. Those friday night lights are fun to watch. He loves it so I let him play. I tried to make the turd play baseball which he was good at too but he hated it. Only live once.............
You call your son a turd?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Football is potentially and actually far more damaging to the individuals bodies than most all other sports.
It's not more potentially damaging than overdosing on heroin...and the Dutch have no reservations about people opting to play that sport.

They even made havens for it.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 AM

97 posts, read 97,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Although I grew up watching and am a fan, it's a very odd sport. On one hand you have highly athletic individuals on the field but most of the offensive lineman and defensive interior lineman are obese. They would not survive 2 minutes in most other sports.

Then it's littered with commercial stoppage (staple of American sports). At times I wonder if I'm tuning in to watch sports or commercial ads.

Thirdly, it's a game of inches and yet no accurate measurement is ever used. It's laughable.

Lastly, all 3 major American sports rely on heavy officiating. "Holds occur on every single NFL play". "You can call palming on almost every NBA possession" "The strike zone is too big/too small". It's perfect for the endless dissecting and bickering over conspiracy theories that occurs 24/7 on ESPN/Fox Sports etc.

There is a distinct difference in European & American sports. American is centered around physical size, which is perfect for the endless commercial breaks. While European sports center around endurance, which is perfect for the tune in for one hour and go on with your day lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And we care about what the Dutch think, why??
Because they destroyed the events. While American athletes complained about "faulty suits" and even switched uniforms. Embarrassing.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Thirdly, it's a game of inches and yet no accurate measurement is ever used. It's laughable.
The chains are standardized.

A team either makes a first down or they don't.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
I don't think it's foolish, but it is slow.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The rest of the world has always been giggling at American Football. There is no loss of influence there, and Rush is kind of stupid for implying so.
Do they think Americans are interested I watching a bunch of guys in shorts kick a soccer ball around while fans riot in stands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies