Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dutch skating coach says American football is a "foolish sport"
He's right, but if you don't agree with him what do you care what he says about it?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Do they think Americans are interested I watching a bunch of guys in shorts kick a soccer ball around while fans riot in stands?
I am. Big time. I love watching soccer. Loved playing it as a kid too.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
soccer is great but hard to watch on a professional level. they are such pu$$ies. but you could also probably say that about basketball. the amount of flopping in our major sports is embarrassing

i very much enjoy watching the womens national team though for sure. much less flopping
I don't think the flopping is all that bad in soccer. But in a game where there are limited opportunities to score, you gotta use every advantage that you can. Lol

In pro basketball, the flopping is way down from what it used to be. I've seen entire games this season with nary a flop. Big improvement since they made new rules to cut down on it.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Do they think Americans are interested I watching a bunch of guys in shorts kick a soccer ball around while fans riot in stands?
Go to the Northwest and soccer is a big sport, you are lucky if you can get a ticket to a Timbers, Sounders, or Whitecaps game if any of those three teams are playing each other. And watching the Timbers play in Portland is a true soccer experience that could turn anyone into a soccer fan.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
And the US has been giggling at soccer for the same amount of time..........liberals want to end that and force us to soccer so the tie is the great win. Not gonna happen.......well if the communists keep holding power it may. Why do you care what the rest of the world thinks about our sports? We play what games we want to play. If you don't like it leave.
I couldn't have said it better.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_2014 View Post
Although I grew up watching and am a fan, it's a very odd sport. On one hand you have highly athletic individuals on the field but most of the offensive lineman and defensive interior lineman are obese. They would not survive 2 minutes in most other sports.
I wouldn't call the majority of them obese and they are large because that is what the position demands, if you take a good look while many of them may have a belly they are if very good shape. Those guys will outsprint and outrun about 99% of the people on the planet. The only people that are going to beat them in a race is another athlete.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well if you think about it about every sport in today's world is "foolish". But it is the best and has always been the best reality TV out there. Many watch because they played as kids and they wish they could still be out there but just aren't good enough so start rooting for their team in whatever sport. Tossing a ball into a hole.......throwing a ball and another guy hits it with a piece of wood and then others try and go catch it.......I mean it all makes no sense. But it is what many do and enjoy doing. This Dutch coach can shove it. He's just mad his sport isn't at the top of the ladder I'm sure. Tough for him.

Soccer is the biggest sport in the entire world and many games end in a tie..........folks in the stands fight and sometimes kill each other..........they have hooligan clubs going around fighting before games but I never hear liberals complain. I guess because like I said many games end in a tie which means nobody loses..........which is what liberals love. They don't like winners they want a tie.
The Dutch criticism and the liberal response is pretty telling, even on this board. The extreme left will leap, and sprint at any and every opportunity in which they can critisize the U.S. and find fault with it is, even if it just football. If the opportunity is there, they will take it. Soccer on the otherhand, despite the problems surrounding it, is a "great sport." LOL

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wouldn't call the majority of them obese and they are large because that is what the position demands, if you take a good look while many of them may have a belly they are if very good shape. Those guys will outsprint and outrun about 99% of the people on the planet. The only people that are going to beat them in a race is another athlete.
Chiefs first round draft pick a few years back weighed 346 pounds (fatso for sure right according to these folks) bench pressed 44 reps and ran a 4.56 second forty yard dash. Yeah he is obese..........all of em are even though all they do is work out all year. Just amazing what some folks think. Well wait according to the government stats he is obese. LOL

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The Dutch criticism and the liberal response is pretty telling, even on this board. The extreme left will leap, and sprint at any and every opportunity in which they can critisize the U.S. and find fault with it is, even if it just football. If the opportunity is there, they will take it. Soccer on the otherhand, despite the problems surrounding it, is a "great sport." LOL
I don't know why the libs love soccer so much. The game itself I can see I mean they love the tie part where nobody loses but my Lord look at all the violence in the stands and prior to the games. Hell in South America folk kill each other over soccer. But soccer is a "euro" sport so liberals just cheer it on.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I am. Big time. I love watching soccer. Loved playing it as a kid too.
Me too. The reason I like soccer is that it is just the athletes and the ball--it seems much more of a pure sport than football which requires a massive amount of plastic gear and wearable equipment. I also like that there is a set amount of time in which to play and they cannot manipulate the game or drag it on forever with a zillion time outs. I've also heard rugby fans make fun of American football players as being pansies due to the amount of protection they wear, as rugby players have to be tough enough to take the hits without a ton of protective gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies