Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who suffers the most racism in 2014 in the U.S.?
Black people suffer the most racism, by far. 54 42.19%
White people suffer the most racism, by far. 38 29.69%
Both suffer similar amounts of racism, but different kinds. 31 24.22%
I don't know / Other 5 3.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:15 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
My Dad was discriminated against for his job promotion many years ago when they had to have a black in a high paying supervisor job.

After working for the same company for decades they brought in this college educated black man who was late his first day of work, got off free on this, then left early for lunch and stayed for 2 hours when lunch time is 1 hour, then left early on Friday because he had things to do.

He did not last long as he would not even talk to his peers like he was something special. Could not even make out a schedule, could not handle the 8:15 morning staff meetings etc etc etc

Dad ended up with the job anyway because they fired this guy because he could not handle the job, could not handle the people, had no job or people skills and thought he was hired to sit in a nice plush office and do nothing.

Today, several cases still exist I have direct knowledge of.

My DH is a regional manager for a large company and still today the company hires less skilled, less talented black men or women who cannot do the job and ends up costing the company tons of money and get those jobs filled with other people who can. The doors were wide open for the blacks and closed for the whites and others at first.

So to me, whites are more discriminated against today then ever before.
Yes, I've been in the situation where I had to hire unqualified Blacks. I worked for a large national company in a highly technical field. The work was very stressful so we had a high turnover rate, which required us to hire people that were green in the industry. Because of the technical nature of the work, we weeded out unqualified applicants through a series of aptitude tests, which tested basic reading comprehension, math and scientific knowledge. In the six years that I was with this company, I did not have one Black applicant that was able to meet the minimum standards on the entry exams, but Blacks were still hired. Testing was always done in groups and if there was a Black person in the group, I had to give him extra points to bump him up to the minimum level. If, with the added points, he met the minimum score requirement, I was instructed to disqualify the lowest scoring White person and give the position to the Black applicant. Oftentimes the White person that would get disqualified scored substantially higher than the Black person. When we had multiple Black persons applying, we usually had to disqualify an equal number of Whites.

This, of course, caused major problems, as these Blacks that were hired just weren't cut out for the work. In fairness, there were a few Blacks that were dedicated workers and tried very hard, but most ended up being fired and usually after making serious mistakes that cost the company large sums of money. The company just had to eat the costs from damages done, because it was worked out that those costs would be cheaper than a discrimination lawsuit brought on by the EEOC.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When whites are discriminated against, it is because they can't say hateful statements without being shamed in public. When blacks are discriminated against, it's usually always at the business end of a cop's nightstick. Perspective, some people need to gain it
Oh okay, tell that to the black dude that told me "get out my way cracker" in the grocery store. I'm mixed race but predominantly white, and THAT was inappropriate.

just like blacks were expecting whites to be oppressed under Obama, because they want some kind of revenge. Like the NBP's blocking polling places with clubs and knives. Like the NBPs ranting on public streets to kill all whites. Like Sharpton and ... oh never mind. This is probably falling on deaf ears anyway.

As long as Dems believe blacks need special attention, as if being black is some sort of a disability, they'll be the ones hurt the most. But it'll be by the racism of their own masters, the DNC.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Oh okay, tell that to the black dude that told me "get out my way cracker" in the grocery store. I'm mixed race but predominantly white, and THAT was inappropriate.

just like blacks were expecting whites to be oppressed under Obama, because they want some kind of revenge. Like the NBP's blocking polling places with clubs and knives. Like the NBPs ranting on public streets to kill all whites. Like Sharpton and ... oh never mind. This is probably falling on deaf ears anyway.

As long as Dems believe blacks need special attention, as if being black is some sort of a disability, they'll be the ones hurt the most. But it'll be by the racism of their own masters, the DNC.
Get real.

I'm so sick and tired of people thinking the Democrats are out to coddle black people. I'm a young black professional male and I vote Democrat because more of their policies align with my political views. I don't agree with everything the Dems do, but a lot more of it than me agreeing with right wing policies. Cutting taxes on the rich doesn't work as the answer to all public policy.

Honestly, it is actually offensive the tone many on the right use to describe the Democrats' relationship with blacks. If you think blacks vote Democrat because of "free stuff" you are very confused. Blacks vote Democrat because the Republicans offer no policy solution to anything that proportionately affects black people. They actually do the opposite. They also tend to dangle black pawns like Herman Cain, or preaching incorrect revisions of history (like modern day conservative Republicans freed the slaves), in weak hearted attempts to "appeal" to blacks. It is obvious when someone like Rand Paul gets laughed out of Howard University. Republicans need to get a clue.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, I've been in the situation where I had to hire unqualified Blacks. I worked for a large national company in a highly technical field. The work was very stressful so we had a high turnover rate, which required us to hire people that were green in the industry. Because of the technical nature of the work, we weeded out unqualified applicants through a series of aptitude tests, which tested basic reading comprehension, math and scientific knowledge. In the six years that I was with this company, I did not have one Black applicant that was able to meet the minimum standards on the entry exams, but Blacks were still hired. Testing was always done in groups and if there was a Black person in the group, I had to give him extra points to bump him up to the minimum level. If, with the added points, he met the minimum score requirement, I was instructed to disqualify the lowest scoring White person and give the position to the Black applicant. Oftentimes the White person that would get disqualified scored substantially higher than the Black person. When we had multiple Black persons applying, we usually had to disqualify an equal number of Whites.

This, of course, caused major problems, as these Blacks that were hired just weren't cut out for the work. In fairness, there were a few Blacks that were dedicated workers and tried very hard, but most ended up being fired and usually after making serious mistakes that cost the company large sums of money. The company just had to eat the costs from damages done, because it was worked out that those costs would be cheaper than a discrimination lawsuit brought on by the EEOC.
That tells me you guys had a really crappy recruiting process. All of the qualified black people probably saw the terrible reviews in glassdoor.com and didn't apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies