Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I agree, people seeing orcas will make them respect orcas more (I still deeply remember the orca Shamu from my childhood.)

But most animals we keep in zoo's live longer in captivity than they do in the wild Top Ten Keeper Questions

But not Orcas. In the wild orcas have an average life expectancy of 30 to 50 years, and their estimated maximum life span is 60 to 70 years for males, and 80 to more than 100 for females. But orcas in zoo's only live an average of 9 years.
Ten Things You Didn't Know About SeaWorld | SeaWorld of Hurt
I will note that I am not arguing that captivity is better for the very few in captivity. My argument is that it's better for the overwhelming vast majority not in captivity.

Quote:
We obviously do not know how to care for these animals in captivity. And when we catch orcas in the wild we totally destroy the family group that we take the desirable orcas from. It just seems a total waste to destroy a group of wild orcas, and then put the orcas in a zoo where they only live about 9 years (when they often live 60-80 years in the wild.)
Nothing is being destroyed. Sorry, I tried to discuss this without the hyperbole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
I think keeping whales, dolphins or any other animal that is not in danger of extinction in captivity is no longer necessary for public education, now that most of the world has all sorts of information (including films) available at their fingertips....

This is our local pod of Orcas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfyVMWuUQnw

Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I will note that I am not arguing that captivity is better for the very few in captivity. My argument is that it's better for the overwhelming vast majority not in captivity.

Nothing is being destroyed. Sorry, I tried to discuss this without the hyperbole.
I agree with your first statement.

But your second statement can sometimes be wrong,

"A final aspect of capturing orcas - one that is rarely considered - is the effect of capture on those animals left in the pod. If the pod is small (fewer than six animals), as in the transient pods of the North Pacific, then capture of even one individual (may) affect the pod's ability to survive."

"a number of subpods, composed of a mother, her sons and daughters and grandcalves have been wiped out (by capturing orcas in the group). These subpods are often fairly independent, travelling apart from their pods for extended periods, and may be in the process of forming new pods."
(so capturing orcas may stop new orca groups from forming.)

"And there may be other implications in which survival is reduced for those left. Research suggests that orca males sometimes die soon after their mothers die. It may mean that the capture of mothers, even if past breeding age, contributes to the premature death of their male progeny."

The World Orca Trade | A Whale Of A Business | FRONTLINE | PBS

I just think Sea World should start acting like other zoo's and provide better homes for their animals. To me SeaWorld acts like 7 year old children who catch lizards or frogs, and then put them in a small jar, and then the animal they caught soon dies (I excuse this behavior in children, but the people running Sea World are not kids.)

Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 AM

Sea Worlds animals don't "soon die". As you yourself note, they live long lives in captivity.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It's on par with the garbage put out by Michael Moore. Simply a hit piece.
It`s a hit piece but some things need to be hit.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
I watched Blackfish. Forget the employees if you must. The critical part was live film showing the capture of a whale, and the sad, terrible behavior of the pod members being left behind. The looks on the faces of some of the ship's crew when they watched it happening …

Unless you are a complete sociopath, you CANNOT watch that part of the documentary without being horrorstruck.

End of story.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I watched Blackfish. Forget the employees if you must. The critical part was live film showing the capture of a whale, and the sad, terrible behavior of the pod members being left behind. The looks on the faces of some of the ship's crew when they watched it happening …

Unless you are a complete sociopath, you CANNOT watch that part of the documentary without being horrorstruck.

End of story.
Ever watch a cow calf taken from its mother?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ever watch a cow calf taken from its mother?
Providing food and providing entertainment are two completely different things. There are some things I'm not willing to do just to provide laughs. How about you?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Providing food and providing entertainment are two completely different things. There are some things I'm not willing to do just to provide laughs. How about you?
Already covered this.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
They deserve reparations! Free them and then give them one million pounds of krill per month to make up for all the past injustices to their ancestors.
End Slavery Now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies