Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Let me see if I have this straight.

If back in the day, a black person owned a black slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a black person owned a white slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a white person owned a white slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a white person owned a black slave, that was racial oppression.

This sums up all that you have said.
Yep. Ridiculous, illogical, and indefensible.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
However, le roi is contending that you can run a business without labor costs, which is improbable if not impossible. Even if you own the business and have no employees, as long as you are making a personal profit you are taking money from the business in order to pay yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So you make 100% profit
No, I don't make 100% profit. I still have costs. They just aren't labor costs.

Quote:
which means that you pay yourself 100%
No. I don't pay myself anything.

I provide 100% of the labor, and I provide it at $0. Nearly all my organization's revenue is profit, and all profit is kept by the corporation. As the owner, if I decide to sell the business in the future, those accumulated assets will be a critical part of the value of my corporation.

But like I say, all of this is a distraction. A distraction away from your misunderstanding how pricing works. You're one of these types who think that certain "bad" costs (like business taxes, or your employees' wages) are always passed on to consumers in the form of price increases, while other costs (like dividends, share buybacks, or CEO pay) just come from the capitalist tooth fairy.

Last edited by le roi; 04-08-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,280 times
LOL. Takes effect January 1, 2015. Finally hits $10.10 2018. More mid-term symbolism. We got your back, oh yeah. Jus' soon as I'm out of office.

Annual inflation at 3%; $10.10 will be worth ~$8.94 in 2018.

Let's hope no one raises any taxes between now and 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Maryland raises minimum wage - Apr. 7, 2014

Course by the time it actually gets to 10.10$ an hour it will be time for a new raise.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM

241 posts, read 172,301 times
Federal Snipers Train Guns on Family For Filming Cattle: "Outside the Bounds of Designated First Amendment Area"

Now fed snipers are aiming at people filming the feds stealing cattle. Last time feds aimed at innocent people they blew half of Vicky Weavers face off as she was holding her baby. He later got an award.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 PM

241 posts, read 172,301 times
People are more worried about who wins some stupid show on TV than they are about the fact our first amendment rights have been stripped of us except in a small cordoned off area and we are now being kidnapped by armed thugs with badges for filming on state property aka the highway.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:59 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The cattle barons of the 1800's and the early 1900's before barbed wore stretched across the land.....

If this is open free range and has been grazed for generations, then I suggest the overbearing government back the F off.
There is no more free range in the continental U.S.
There hasn't been any since the nation became contiguous, back around 1900. What was once free range is now all federal ground, and has been for over 100 years.
There are many ways a cattleman can graze his cows on federal range; he can obtain a multi-year lease, he can pay annual fees, or he can buy shares of a Cattleman's Association. He can even petition for range land to be offered for sale at auction.

A Cattleman's Association is a co-op. Each member buys shares and the shares purchase federal land or are used to obtain long-term leases. The number of shares are limited to the number of cow/calf pairs the land can feed.

There are places in Nevada where 100 acres is needed to feed a cow/calf pair because the water is so sparse and the range has to be carefully managed to prevent it from becoming a desert that grows nothing. Some of the former open range was so over-grazed it took 40 years for the native grasses to return. Associations prevent over-grazing by limiting the time a cattleman's herd is allowed, and by rotating the pastures so the worst can have time to recover.

If this guy is in a fight, you can bet he's trying to raise too many cattle for the range to support. He has probably grazed whatever land he leased down to dirt, and after several years of drought, it isn't coming back, so he's trying to do the same to his association allotment. The association directors only have the power to sue a member who breaches his shares contract, but the feds can stop him directly because it is federal ground.

Over-grazing has been going on for decades. There are people who do this as a practice, just like there are loggers who clear cut where it's prohibited, dredge miners who pollute prohibited streams, and similar practices. These guys get as much as they can as fast as they can, then sell out their cattle, move on, and do it again.

I've seen it all my life. They always try to come up with some crackpot defense when they're finally run to ground. My family is now ranching our place in the 6th generation, and range all around us has all been stripped down to dirt by these guys at one time or another.

My grandfather saved for years to buy the last remnant of what was once his grandfather's free range, and we are the only family who still has all our property. We have kept it only because we never over-grazed it, even when it could only support half the cows it could in times of plentiful water. All those neighbors made a lot more money for a decade or so, but their money always went away when the range failed.

And, in the end, so did they.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
People don't get what racism is and what it isn't.

Racism is taking away a group of people's religion, names, and customs forcing them into bondage and then giving them a whole new identity based on this idea of race which endows their race with characteristics that are universally negative.

Racism is burning down whole towns, Jim Crow, lynchings, segregation, denying people schooling, the right to vote, jobs, and housing and medical, experimenting on them, its stop and frisk, etc and so on.

Racism is living in a nation which has done all of those things to black people then wondering why black people are worse off than white people and saying well the problem is black people are still messed up.

Racism is not Jay Z wearing a medallion that may or may not mean anything to him dealing with the 5percenters an extremely small group of people who have no power.
But according to the 5percenters there's nothing they'd like better than to do exactly those things you listed. From this perspective I'd say it does matter.

Why would anyone discount a group because of size? Hitler started with just a few close friends. I guarantee you'd be outraged if you heard of an actor wearing an Aryan Nation medallion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Let me see if I have this straight.

If back in the day, a black person owned a black slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a black person owned a white slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a white person owned a white slave that was oppression.
If back in the day, a white person owned a black slave, that was racial oppression.

This sums up all that you have said.
That's about it... sad, but true.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
But according to the 5percenters there's nothing they'd like better than to do exactly those things you listed. From this perspective I'd say it does matter.

Why would anyone discount a group because of size? Hitler started with just a few close friends. I guarantee you'd be outraged if you heard of an actor wearing an Aryan Nation medallion.

It absolutely does matter.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,633 times
There is a real, kind of amusing, irony here. The rancher claims his family has used the land for countless years and thereby he has rights to continue using public lands for grazing.

The same rancher whose family benefited from the fact the Native Americans of the area didn't use deeds to claim land - and thereby had such lands taken - now wants to claim public rights land use.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
You gonna shout USA USA USA as they shoot him in the back like they did at Ruby Ridge or as they torch his home as they did in Waco? Ugh..so many bootlickers here.
Probably yes. The guy makes his own choices. The consequences are not a mystery to anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies