Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Not sure an according_to_hoyle civil war is in the offing, but an upheaval of some sort is inevitable because welfare states always and everywhere collapse under their own weight, and we are not as special as we like to think we are.
No sir, democracies always collapse.

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh , had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage
."

In my opinion we are in the from apathy to dependence state right now.

We saw apathy last election when a lot of republicans and conservatives simply didn't vote and you will see it again if the republican establishment gives us Jeb Bush as it appears they are hell bent to do.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
All of the points that you've made is exactly why I align with the libertarian ideology. In short, both parties suck, and continue to pander to their corporate cronies.
And how is allowing the ultra rich, essentially free reign in this country, going to solve anything? With little government regulation to stop them, they will continue to import more and more foreign workers, reducing our standard of living to Mexican standards. Is that what you really want? Because, that is the endgame you are unknowingly advocating for

Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And how is allowing the ultra rich, essentially free reign in this country, going to solve anything? With little government regulation to stop them, they will continue to import more and more foreign workers, reducing our standard of living to Mexican standards. Is that what you really want? Because, that is the endgame you are unknowingly advocating for
American super rich have been importing foreign workers and ruining our standard of living for hundreds of years that is how America was built
Funny I ended up rich bek of it I should be a slave right? What went wrong
I love America I was gone a long time and suffered a lot I know what it is like outside this country
Sweetest words I ever heard from us customs after 7 years
Welcome home Huck

Old 04-22-2014, 04:05 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
As a strong conservative - NOT a corporate conservative, it has become obvious even to the most rigid and resistant thinkers in America that the country is headed for a disaster, one that will lead to an uprising and massive destruction/loss of life.

The caving in of the federal government to corporate america's wishes, as evidenced in this study:

America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds - Washington Times

for instance, an unwillingness to stop illegal immigration and lunatic, job-destroying programs such as the H1-B fiasco, have enriched a few at the top and obliterated the middle class.

If this situation continues, with large amounts of middle class jobs eliminated through off-shoring and the importation of cheap foreign labor (both legal and illegal), there is going to be a massive uprising, and it will not be pretty. There are already tent cities forming across the US in many places, so when the federal government handouts run out, and people can no longer feed their families - it will be game on.

A second study here showing how the US' middle class is falling further and further behind other nations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/up...ichest.html?hp

The lunacy of importing the poor of the rest of the world, propped up with welfare dollars paid for with tax dollars from a rapidly shrinking middle class, along with the transfers of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs overseas to places like china, has now come home to roost.

This mass jobs transfer destroyed the US' manufacturing base, and combined with the mass reduction of wages and career options for everyone from construction and IT workers due to the importation of cheap foreign labor - enable by compliant, tone-deaf congress whose primary goal is to satisfy its corporate benefactors - will lead to an inevitable uprising.

Personally, I give this country another 20 years at most before things explode, and am very fearful of the results. No revolution is bloodless, and given the sheer volume of weapons in the US, will likely lead to huge numbers of dead.

I pray that someone, somewhere in congress has the intelligence, courage and character to recognize that we are riding a train wreck going off the rails, and will step in and stop it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Apart from the "civil war" aspect of it, I'm in total agreement with the OP as to the destructive policies of this government, regardless of which party is in power. And I lean left.

The government is doing the bidding of big business and not anyone else. The Dems throw rhetorical bones to minorities, and the Repubs throw rhetorical bones to whites and Christians.

We have high unemployment and the government continues to allow floods of foreign skilled and unskilled workers to undercut it's citizenry. This benefits no one except the rich, except maybe Latino activist groups that see their power rise as the number of Latinos explodes.

..and you have leftists and corporate right wingers in bed with this policy..one side calls anyone who criticizes it "racist, xenophobic", and the other proclaims this is just the invisible hand of the free market and this is how it should work out naturally.
I have been saying that since I was 16, 7 years later more people are waking up...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I dont think we will go to war but civil unrest will come if we get some back bone as the rest of the nations have... Gas almost $4 gal. rent climbing to $1000 for 1 bedroom if not over in some areas, food going up milk going up-and education going down and the wealthy laugh because they want the third world to be here. Forget the migrants, they have been here in the best and worst of times and doesnt make a difference in the great scheme of things. It makes sense for the wealthy to keep around some slaves--make sure there is less poplulation -as they eat less, take less care of themselves less, commit more crime, drink and drug themselves more, (to escape poverty and dispair) and therefore die. wala! the rich win. The govt stands for basic freedoms, but offer way too many loopholes to the rich WHO claim are taking care of the rest. And many eat that soup daily.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Leftists live in a delusional world if they think a federal spending sustained by money-printing can go on forever.

And when the spending stops? Can the leeches survive on their own? I don't think so.

I wouldn't call what's coming 'civil war'. I'd call it sustained civil disorder followed by a law and order campaign.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
As a strong conservative - NOT a corporate conservative, it has become obvious even to the most rigid and resistant thinkers in America that the country is headed for a disaster, one that will lead to an uprising and massive destruction/loss of life.

The caving in of the federal government to corporate america's wishes, as evidenced in this study:

America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds - Washington Times

for instance, an unwillingness to stop illegal immigration and lunatic, job-destroying programs such as the H1-B fiasco, have enriched a few at the top and obliterated the middle class.

If this situation continues, with large amounts of middle class jobs eliminated through off-shoring and the importation of cheap foreign labor (both legal and illegal), there is going to be a massive uprising, and it will not be pretty. There are already tent cities forming across the US in many places, so when the federal government handouts run out, and people can no longer feed their families - it will be game on.

A second study here showing how the US' middle class is falling further and further behind other nations:

The lunacy of importing the poor of the rest of the world, propped up with welfare dollars paid for with tax dollars from a rapidly shrinking middle class, along with the transfers of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs overseas to places like china, has now come home to roost.

This mass jobs transfer destroyed the US' manufacturing base, and combined with the mass reduction of wages and career options for everyone from construction and IT workers due to the importation of cheap foreign labor - enable by compliant, tone-deaf congress whose primary goal is to satisfy its corporate benefactors - will lead to an inevitable uprising.

Personally, I give this country another 20 years at most before things explode, and am very fearful of the results. No revolution is bloodless, and given the sheer volume of weapons in the US, will likely lead to huge numbers of dead.

I pray that someone, somewhere in congress has the intelligence, courage and character to recognize that we are riding a train wreck going off the rails, and will step in and stop it.
Now here's something both liberals and conservatives should be able to agree on You can't even run for office anymore without the approval of corporate America

Old 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
No sir, democracies always collapse.

In 1887 Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh , had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage
."

In my opinion we are in the from apathy to dependence state right now.

We saw apathy last election when a lot of republicans and conservatives simply didn't vote and you will see it again if the republican establishment gives us Jeb Bush as it appears they are hell bent to do.
Replace the sentence "voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts" with "businesses discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts"

Democracy is a balancing act. we've lost that balance perhaps

Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I dont think we will go to war but civil unrest will come if we get some back bone as the rest of the nations have... Gas almost $4 gal. rent climbing to $1000 for 1 bedroom if not over in some areas, food going up milk going up-and education going down and the wealthy laugh because they want the third world to be here. Forget the migrants, they have been here in the best and worst of times and doesnt make a difference in the great scheme of things. It makes sense for the wealthy to keep around some slaves--make sure there is less poplulation -as they eat less, take less care of themselves less, commit more crime, drink and drug themselves more, (to escape poverty and dispair) and therefore die. wala! the rich win. The govt stands for basic freedoms, but offer way too many loopholes to the rich WHO claim are taking care of the rest. And many eat that soup daily.
They is what the do, they import a army of cheap workers who will vote for the small marxist failures they voted in back home, only were we will run to? This is our nation, this our culture, this our economy, This is our Constitutions, this is our time to restore the republic..

And if that means we have to give the bankers and the class of useful morons...So be it..

"The Fate of Unborn Millions. . ."
"The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them. The fate of unborn Millions will now depend, under God, on the Courage and Conduct of this army-Our cruel and unrelenting Enemy leaves us no choice but a brave resistance, or the most abject submission; that is all we can expect-We have therefore to resolve to conquer or die." -- George Washington to his troops before the Battle of Long Island.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:

Who would be the two sides in this "war against outsourcing"? It seems everyone except the corporations are against it, and I don't see corporations pick up arms, especially when the employees would probably be fighting against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies