Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yep every computer require you to log on with your CAC card

you insert it in the slot on the keyboard like here:

btw the keyboard also has biometeric fingerprint reader too
Interesting, none of my computers I use have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"An Arkansas judge declared the state’s new voter identification law unconstitutional on Thursday since it stipulates that voters must meet an additional requirement before casting a ballot.

Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Tim Fox called the law, which calls for voters to show photo identification cards, “void and unenforceable.”
There is no truth to the rumor that the reporters bringing you this news of the Pulaski Country Court's verdict, couldn't have done it at all unless they had shown their Photo IDs to get into the building in the first place.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
$3, $30, $50 … makes no difference. According to the Constitution, anything above $0.00 is unConstitutional.

End of discussion.
really...show me

bet you cant

Old 04-25-2014, 11:03 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I vote Absentee Ballot which is mailed to my house. They haven't figured out a way to require photo ID for that, yet.
I have been voting via an absentee ballot for a long time. I see no need to go to a formal polling place.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot speak for what your state or local ID costs are, however in many places it is either free or a low cost if you are poor. For instance in FL it is $25 to get an ID card. However if you are poor, the cost is only $3, so who cannot afford that?
Frankly I would not have a problem with the state giving out free ID cards to the poor instead of $3 just to eliminate the lame excuse.
We subsidize free cellphones, internet access, food, clothing, housing, utilities, etc., so what is $3.00 more dollars.
I actually know one guy who is like a friend and does not have ID, and refuses to get one. He works under the table doing odds & ends, has very little money, yet he drinks coffee and smokes cigarettes constantly. He claims it is too much of a hassle to get one, this despite me offering to drive him. Heck one day we were at a Starbucks, and he made a typical lame excuse, yet there was a DMV in the same mall. The bottom line is that it is nothing more than laziness or apathy on his part.

So what is your next best excuse for no picture ID's to vote?
Perhaps you need to refresh your memory. This thread is about ARKANSAS. Not FLORIDA. I live in ARKANSAS.

And I don't need any "next best excuse". Voting should not cost the voter anything. Poll taxes and other costs have been ruled Unconstitutional because voting should not cost the voter anything. When the state imposes requirements that do force the voter to spend monies in order to vote, it's an impediment to voting. I don't believe that there should be any impediments to legally casting one's vote.

Clearly, there are some people who believe that impediments are needed. I'm still trying to figure out why they think the impediments are needed.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
I have a question that is loosely related to the topic. Forgive me for being slightly off topic. I've been trying to find this information but have been unable to do so. Currently, the federal form to register to vote does not require proof of citizenship but only a signature swearing said person is a citizen. The only requirement for any ID is the first time voting, they need to provide an ID with their name on it or a bill with their name on it. In some states, there is not further proof needed to prove citizenship. My question is what other countries allow people to vote without requiring proof of citizenship? From what I can tell, we seem to be the only country that just takes people's word for it and doesn't require proof. Is that not setting up our process for corruption? Is just requiring a signature saying they are citizens enough? Also, let's say a non-citizen registers, there would be no way of every even proving this voter fraud because nowhere in the process did anyone require proof of citizenship. Seems a very, very odd thing for our country to do - and from what I can tell, we seem to be in a severe minority if not the only country to not require any proof whatsoever.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I have been voting via an absentee ballot for a long time. I see no need to go to a formal polling place.
I'm going to have to start that. For years the polling place has been a few blocks from my home, on my route to and from home. This year they've moved it, it's several miles down the road, in the opposite direction from where I work. Since waiting times during the past two elections averaged about two hours, voting at my polling location is much worse than inconvenient.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No they don't. You are engaging in petty political rhetoric. They think that Democrats are unfairly disadvantaged in being required to obtain various ID. They are legitimately concerned even if there really is very little data that suggests their concern has merit.
uh huh, it is democrats that are engaging in political rhetoric and you buy into it. Since you believe them you are buying into the Dems saying people are either too dumb or helpless, then out of the other side of their mouth they say, I am not being treated as an equal.

So dems are too dumb or helpless to get a voter ID then we are to believe you can function like everyone else and really want a job where you can go to "work" every day like everyone else.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:29 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Perhaps you need to refresh your memory. This thread is about ARKANSAS. Not FLORIDA. I live in ARKANSAS.

And I don't need any "next best excuse". Voting should not cost the voter anything. Poll taxes and other costs have been ruled Unconstitutional because voting should not cost the voter anything. When the state imposes requirements that do force the voter to spend monies in order to vote, it's an impediment to voting. I don't believe that there should be any impediments to legally casting one's vote.

Clearly, there are some people who believe that impediments are needed. I'm still trying to figure out why they think the impediments are needed.
You can characterize it in your mind however you like, but people such as myself do not want impediments. Instead we want a system that insures the integrity of the vote, and providing a form of picture ID certainly helps to weed out those who would try to subvert the system.

If only certain people were allowed ID, and others were denied the ability to get said ID, I'd be on your side.
However we both know anyone can get a state ID if they put forth a tiny bit of effort. Furthermore, if they want to do a variety of things, they must provide some ID. You talked about not needing to provide yours for over a year. Well maybe you live in some tiny rural town, but I cannot imagine you can go to the drug store and by Sudafed without ID. Nor can you buy booze at a ball game even if you look 90 years old.

Lastly, don't try and tie poll taxes to the current debate because we both know it is apples & oranges.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because the law requires that I have a driver's license in order to drive. Since there is no public transportation available where I live, in order to get back and forth from work I have to DRIVE.

However, I haven't needed to present that ID in over a year, the last time being in order to vote.

My driver's license will expire. I will renew it so that I can continue to legally operate a motor vehicle. But renewing it will cost me a substantial amount of money.

And while I can afford that expenditure, I recognize that not everyone is able to do that. Their inability to afford such an expenditure should not impede their ability to vote.
It doesnt. Again, the ability to obtain an id to VOTE is FREE.. Per the Supreme Court..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies