Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really

I need an Id to get in the gate
I need an Id to get in the building
I need an Id to log on the computer
I had to show proof of age to buy beer the other night (andI havent looked too young in decades)
made a grocery purchase, had to show Id to use the CC
traveled to Milwaukee for a seminar had to show Id to board the plane, and to rent a car, and to get the hotel room
just got a new mortgage for an additional property for retirment...need an ID for the closing
You need a photo ID to get into a computer? I can't even remember the last time I needed to show my photo ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really

I need an Id to get in the gate
I need an Id to get in the building
I need an Id to log on the computer
I had to show proof of age to buy beer the other night (andI havent looked too young in decades)
made a grocery purchase, had to show Id to use the CC
traveled to Milwaukee for a seminar had to show Id to board the plane, and to rent a car, and to get the hotel room
just got a new mortgage for an additional property for retirment...need an ID for the closing
So we have very different experiences regarding ID. I'd wager the elderly lady who lives across the street off of her deceased husband's social security probably needs ID even less than I. And she doesn't drive, so she doesn't need a driver's license at all. She's on a very fixed income. But you think that she should pay out of pocket to obtain an ID in order to VOTE? Otherwise, she shouldn't VOTE?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM

16,552 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"An Arkansas judge declared the state’s new voter identification law unconstitutional on Thursday since it stipulates that voters must meet an additional requirement before casting a ballot.

Pulaski County Circuit Court Judge Tim Fox called the law, which calls for voters to show photo identification cards, “void and unenforceable.”

Arkansas judge strikes down voter ID law as unconstitutional

Maybe instead of working so hard to disenfranchise voters that might vote for their opposition, the GOP could work on offering some ideas that would attract those voters to their side?
The funny (or sad) thing about this issue is that intelligent (D's) can never specifically articulate what is discriminatory about showing a photo ID to vote. They throw out inflammatory terms like racism and disenfranchise minorities, yet cannot point to specifics of how such a requirement does what those terms imply.

The list of things members of our society must provide picture ID for is staggering, yet I do not hear the liberals of the world demanding those practices stop. Logically, if it is racist to demand picture ID to cast a vote, why isn't racist to demand picture ID to get medical care, or to buy certain products, or board airplanes, etc., etc., etc..
Where are all the lawsuits and judges rulings against picture ID in all other walks of life?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The funny (or sad) thing about this issue is that intelligent (D's) can never specifically articulate what is discriminatory about showing a photo ID to vote. They throw out inflammatory terms like racism and disenfranchise minorities, yet cannot point to specifics of how such a requirement does what those terms imply.

The list of things members of our society must provide picture ID for is staggering, yet I do not hear the liberals of the world demanding those practices stop. Logically, if it is racist to demand picture ID to cast a vote, why isn't racist to demand picture ID to get medical care, or to buy certain products, or board airplanes, etc., etc., etc..
Where are all the lawsuits and judges rulings against picture ID in all other walks of life?
The list of things members of our society must provide picture ID is SO staggering, that my ID hasn't been asked for in over a year......

Old 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I vote Absentee Ballot which is mailed to my house. They haven't figured out a way to require photo ID for that, yet.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So we have very different experiences regarding ID. I'd wager the elderly lady who lives across the street off of her deceased husband's social security probably needs ID even less than I. And she doesn't drive, so she doesn't need a driver's license at all. She's on a very fixed income. But you think that she should pay out of pocket to obtain an ID in order to VOTE? Otherwise, she shouldn't VOTE?
My goodness, is that your best attempt?

You can get a picture ID for less than the cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or a McDonalds happy meal. So the lame excuse of liberals that the person eating McDonalds, smoking cigarettes, and talking on their cellphone cannot afford a one time expense of getting a picture ID, is frankly absurd.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant.

Voting is an unconditional citizen right. Voting can only be voided by a criminal who has been tried and convicted (due process).

The right of United States' citizens to vote is directly stated in four distinct Constitutional Amendments.

Driving, buying liquor, or going through airport security are not citizen rights. The difference is explicit.
What about gun permits? They cost money. Should they be outlawed?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
My goodness, is that your best attempt?

You can get a picture ID for less than the cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or a McDonalds happy meal. So the lame excuse of liberals that the person eating McDonalds, smoking cigarettes, and talking on their cellphone cannot afford a one time expense of getting a picture ID, is frankly absurd.
And I'm going to have to get a new ID this year, and it's going to cost me a minimum of $66.00. I can buy a lot of cups of coffee for $66.00.

First, I will need a new birth certificate from the State of Massachusetts. I was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. And I currently live in Arkansas. If you can find a way for me to get that birth certificate for less than $50.00, please let me know.

And I cannot get a free ID in Arkansas. I drive. And free voter ID's are only available to those who don't have a need for any other form of identification, and can prove that they don't have such a need. Since I drive, clearly I have a need for a driver's license. And that will cost me $16, the last I checked.

By the way, I have a current picture ID. However, the state has imposed new requirements in order to renew that ID. This is not a one-time expense. The law requires that the ID be current. Mrs Sullivan from across the street cannot use her 10-year-old photo ID to vote.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The list of things members of our society must provide picture ID is SO staggering, that my ID hasn't been asked for in over a year......
So is your comment somehow meant to imply that my claim is false/disingenuous?

If you are not being obtuse, then what was the purpose of you taking the time to make such a comment?

However since the arguments against picture ID to vote are typically absurd, let's assume you really are clueless. Instead of me making a huge list (which may have already been done in this thread), lets instead put it a different way. By your own admission you have ID, which you claim as not been asked for in over a year.
If the need for ID is non existant or rarely required, why do you have one?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Voter ID laws are unconstitutional according to the 24th Amendment, because they require the purchase of a photo ID, or purchase of relevent government documentation required to receive a free photo ID. That constitutes a tax.
The Supreme Court has ruled that they are indeed constitutional provided the state provides them free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies