Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM

198 posts, read 400,245 times

Advertisements

Heard the recording. Old fart, did he really think she was serious about him? The whole thing less than admirable all the way around imo. Who does any of that??? Racist, then she taping her relationship phone conversations. Too sleezy all of it..again imo. Skin crawl sleezy.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
Yup, he's a dirt-bag. Sleazy old man.

But what can you do? I think I heard that in the by-laws he can't be forced to sell the Clippers.

But could the NBA, in order to protect it's own image, reject the Clippers as a franchise team? That way he still owns it, it just doesn't participate in the NBA.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Gee, maybe he doesn't like being cuckolded?

Mr. Sterling may be the greatest douchebag alive today, but it is somewhat amusing to see that somehow saying something somewhat "racist" now trumps felony wiretapping laws. Didn't we once impeach a president over wiretapping? Of course, he was an evil white guy, but...

It is also amusing to see liberal douchebags like Mr. Sterling dole out millions to the NAACP and other black liberal politicos. How did that work out for him?

What about all this kerfluffle makes me think that this was a shakedown by a jilted ex at her former sugar daddy? This girlfriend who was sued in court by Sterling's wife to return the Lamborghini and Ferrari and pricey apartment given to her by Sterling.
What she did isn't illegal. Anyone can secretly record anyone as long as they are a participant in the conversation. Source: My cop friend.

No doubt she's sleazy, too. I mean, isn't everyone in Hollywood and sports management? They thrive on using people, it's the only way to succeed. So even if her motives are impure, that doesn't take away from the fact that this guy is a massive hypocrite. Hate black people but use them to profit.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
What she did isn't illegal. Anyone can secretly record anyone as long as they are a participant in the conversation. Source: My cop friend.
That is true in some states but in others (Cali), both parties must consent to being recorded.

And for the record, he didn't say he hated black people in the recording.

Nevertheless, after talking about this issue for a while, I'm convinced that people are going create the narrative they want to attack. Pretty soon it'll be that Sterling said he wants to reinstitute slavery and have his players working the field.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

No doubt she's sleazy, too. I mean, isn't everyone in Hollywood and sports management? They thrive on using people, it's the only way to succeed. So even if her motives are impure, that doesn't take away from the fact that this guy is a massive hypocrite. Hate black people but use them to profit.
Your cop friend is ignorant of the law.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Well here's a hint for all those closet racists out there. Try to change the way you perceive the world instead of looking for a safe inner circle where your views are still acceptable.
Definitely not talk about black people in front of your half black mistress. ..

I still want to know what he did to almost earn getting a NAACP reward.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I'm not sure if an apology means much.

The only sympathy I have is for people that are deceived by those they trust. The GF had been with him since 2010 and suddenly she wants to coerce him into making non-PC comments that she can record and give to TMZ? It sounded like she was reading a script and Sterling was like "why the hell are you asking this crap". That's pretty slimy - especially when it's done to the elderly. And yes, even though the media has made him a monsterous villain - he is still an elderly person that was deceived and financially harmed by a much younger person.

And I'm also sure that 99% of people have said things in private that if recorded could have them in Sterling's position if they owned a business.
Well, with each passing day a delayed apology will ring less sincere, but it beats not doing so. It at least shows some small amount of effort, decency, and concern on his part. Then he would not be regarded as such a villain, even by some in the media. I won't put him on my "sympathy" list. He did this to himself. He should have known better whether he was taped or not. I won't change your mind either, so we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-28-2014 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added words.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Definitely not talk about black people in front of your half black mistress. ..

I believe he already won one award from them.

And I'm wondering if someone can be prejudice toward a group while still being a net positive toward their cause.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Gave them a hefty donation.

They, like everyone else, love money.

"Jenkins said the NAACP decided to honor Sterling because of "a body of work. Mr. Sterling's organization has on a consistent basis brought in the minority community. He has also over the years contributed to a number of minority charities. Compared to other L.A. franchises, his organization gave more money than the others."

Donald Sterling's donations to NAACP led to latest award

Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I'm happy to see here that i'm not the only one who sees nothing wrong with how Sterling feels, and shouldn't be prosecuted for his personal opinions.
Those "offended" should get off their high horses! I'M OFFENDED THAT THEY'RE OFFENDED!
So you defend Sterling's free speech rights and those that agree with him, but not the free speech rights of those that disagree with him. Save the hysterical capital letters, rolled eyes, and fake outrage routine. Few of us are fooled. If you think there is nothing wrong, it is your right to say so. It is also the right of those that disagree with Sterling to say so as well. No one is on a high horse. We are all stating our views here and most Americans are fine with that.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-28-2014 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Added words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies