Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
As a minority I feel no hostility towards Donald Sterling since his views didn't harm anyone, and didn't prevent anyone from prospering.
I applaud your understanding that previous generations cannot be expected to completely lose the attitudes that they grew up with. We can only request that they comply with the law.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM

188 posts, read 376,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I doubt he will lose ownership unless he voluntarily sells. The court proceedings would take years and the media will have moved on to something else by then. Once it goes to court, I wonder how the illegally obtained recordings will be handled. I could see the NBA dropping their case and settling with Sterling. At least they could save face by saying they tried to pursue it. On the other hand, if Sterling sells the team now, he would likely get a huge sum of money - someone looking to "do the right thing" may pay him over market value so they can be seen as saving the Clippers from their evil owner.
In some states, you are able to record without the other party's knowledge. I know in the state of TX, the other party has to be made aware of said recording.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 PM

188 posts, read 376,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, we don't have to like everyone. But part of being an adult is learning how to deal with people you may or may not like. You can say what you want, but don't be surprised at the repercussions. Pretty simple.

People like to have their cake and eat it.

Exactly, there are plenty of co-workers I can care less about, however, I have to keep those feelings in check b/c I'm at work.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,305,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I agree, even though I'm a person, being, he would definitely not invite to dinner, I agree with your comment which is 'He's entitled to his opinion'.

To me he's not a 'racist' in the classic sense, but he's rather more of a 'racial segregationist'...kind of a product of his era.

He's 81, was born in 1933, came of age, or teenage, right when WW2 was ending.
Most of us form our strongest views on life during those early years from like 5-25.

Whatever environment or reality most are born into, is the reality or environment they assume is true.

So I can't really condemn the man, he's simply a product of his era, generation.
And laws can change, but that don't mean peoples hearts and beliefs do.

To me he's a racial segregationist, not a 'racist', like say Hitler was.

A true white racist wouldn't hire any minorities, and coach, and pay them million's so that they and families can prosper.

I've been around true militant racist...and they always put ideology even before profit.

Most everyone is a racial segregationist in their own personal lives.
That's just a true reality.

I mean after people get off from work, they usually go their own 'color' ways.

(except me, cause I'm different).

So I don't understand the condemnation, when most condemning him themselves live racially segregated lives, whether white or black or Asian or Persion or Jewish ect.

It's odd that all people are allowed to openly live racially segregated lives accept 'white Americans'...

White Americans, for some reason, are held to a higher standard (I guess), when it comes to racial interactions.

As a minority I feel no hostility towards Donald Sterling since his views didn't harm anyone, and didn't prevent anyone from prospering.
A compilation of "talking points" commonly believed but not substantiated. Why are people proclaiming that Donald Sterling cannot be racist because his girlfriend is part black? Well the average "African" American is of 25% European ancestry. Certainly there must have been a great deal of white males in the American South who didn't care for "blacks" that much but had no problem with having illicit sexual liaisons with black women.

Are you not familiar with the National Origins Acts of the 1920s? Donald Sterling was born in 1933 to Jewish immigrants. If you are not familiar with the aims of the National Origins Acts:

Early efforts sought to exclude “undesirables”—such as convicts, sexual deviants, and the mentally ill—from the larger immigrant pool. As the flow of immigrants shifted from northern and western Europe to southern and eastern Europe, calls for immigration restrictions emerged. Seen largely as inferior to their northern and western European cousins, the often swarthier, olive-skinned newcomers (such as Slavs, Italians, and Jews) were of concern especially to the adherents of the newly emerging area of pseudoscientific inquiry known as eugenics. Concerns about their “poor racial stock” and the evils that could result by allowing them into the United States were voiced by Immigration Restriction League founder Prescott Hall, as well as by members of the American Breeders Association and the Eugenics Record Office, among others.

I'm assuming Sterling's (Tokowitz's) parents immigrated prior to the Acts or perhaps were two of the lucky few to come in on a highly-restrictive quota. While perhaps not "black", Sterling's parents were certainly not viewed as "whites" in America just prior to Sterling's birth and construed to be of a separate race altogether. At some juncture Sterling was viewed as a minority and perhaps this was a factor in changing his last name. Not having empathy for other minorities is one thing; to use the same sort of epithets and espouse the desires of exclusion that likely were once uttered against you is reprehensible.

The fact that Sterling has hired and employed blacks is immaterial. Africans were brought to the United States involuntarily to be slaves. Upon passage of the 13th Amendment, you were now bound by law to pay blacks wages. This was not done charitably and every action was taken to suppress these wages to be as low as possible. Donald Sterling is not employing blacks and paying them high salaries because he likes them. Donald Sterling operates in a capitalist realm (the NBA) where he is competing against other franchises. If he doesn't hire these blacks another owner certainly will and be more successful. This owner will subsequently drive down the value of Sterling's franchise and product.

I do agree that Sterling is unfairly being singled out. I think from his tenor he assumes that if more blacks are at his games, that will make the viewing environment less desirable to white customers. Where does he get this idea from? I seriously doubt Sterling's racist assumptions have been developed in a vacuum.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:23 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,643,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh it gets better!!!

Taking a page from the "Job Creator" playbook, Sterling in newly released excerpts has this to say:

Referring to a question about having African Americans play on his team...
"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"
Gives them food? Clothes? Cars? Houses??? Gives?!?!? What happened to the EARNED part of this equation?

L.A. Clippers players stage silent protest over racist comments - CNN.com
I caught that bit right away too. This guy is like Sam Zell in these remarks. He thinks he is the only one who works and all others should bow down to his greatness. It's utterly sickening all the way around with this man.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
In some states, you are able to record without the other party's knowledge. I know in the state of TX, the other party has to be made aware of said recording.
Actually, not quite what you mean. Texas is a "one party's knowledge" state. The law prevents a third party from eavesdropping without either of the conversing parties knowing, but it's fully lawful in Texas for only one of the conversing parties to know that recording is occurring.

That is also the extent of the federal law. Only a minority of states require both conversing parties to be aware of the recording.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I do agree that Sterling is unfairly being singled out. I think from his tenor he assumes that if more blacks are at his games, that will make the viewing environment less desirable to white customers.
I dunno. I think his ire is more roused by the fact that everyone in the association knows that girl belongs to him, and if she's seen in the company of players--particularly black players, 'cause "you know how they are"-- people might think he's not keeping her satisfied.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM

40 posts, read 39,474 times
Question: how would the media & fans react if Jewish Sterling told his GF don't bring Whites to the games?

Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
Question: how would the media & fans react if Jewish Sterling told his GF don't bring Whites to the games?
How about refraining from posting contextually ridiculous suppositions in an attempt to draw false equivalencies. Now if you don't understand what I mean by that, I serious doubt that you would understand any explanation, so I shan't try.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

40 posts, read 39,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How about refraining from posting contextually ridiculous suppositions in an attempt to draw false equivalencies. Now if you don't understand what I mean by that, I serious doubt that you would understand any explanation, so I shan't try.
Most people are rolling their eyes at this situation because of the reaction from blacks. It's grossly over-exaggerated.

This is Incognito witch hunt all over again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies