Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:23 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In PA that is not the case, what's you argument now? Matter of fact the state of PA bent over backwards ro make this work and it's still not good enough.

False:
Voter ID is constitutional if all steps required to vote and obtain said ID are FREE.

What is so hard about that to understand? If you require an ID to prevent voter fraud, mail every citizen a free ID. Go pick them up and take their picture. The burden of proof is on the government, not on the voter.

24th Amendment:

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Because voting is a right, not a privilege. There is no process to be protected. You cannot discriminate against a citizen in elections, period.
NO ITS NOT.. Rights can not be infringed upon..

We deny people the ability to vote all the time..

Such as FELONS..

The right to vote is similar to saying one has a right to eat, which is true, but that doesnt mean you dont have to go earn money to buy the dam food to eat.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet fraud has never been an issue in any election in Oregon.
How do you know? How would anyone? If you remove the ability to prove the fraud, it's intellectually dishonest to say "well you can't prove fraud is happening so therefore it isn't happening." The voting process is wide open to fraud - proven by people registering dogs to prove it - and voter ID is only one tiny step in protecting our process. What if you found out Republicans paid thousands of people to vote with fake registrations they submitted to the state of Oregon (one of those wide open states)? Would you want some protection of our process then? Who's to say they haven't done that? Who's to say the Democrats haven't?

This is why we need to protect our process. Yes, by all means, let's make sure we put forth the steps to not disenfranchise people. I'm not one of those that will say "hey you're old, you should have an ID already." No, I say, okay, how can we make it possible for you to get that ID? Because I actually have interest in protecting the process, not disenfranchising anyone. As I've said before, there are right and wrong ways to implement voter ID but I stand by my contention we do need to implement it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court also ruled that segregation was constitutional.

The Supreme Court will overturn that case in due time.

The Supreme Court also lifted the residency requirements of student voters that were denied. (In North Carolina, a Student ID is not acceptable photo ID). Violation of the 26th Amendment.

The crooks bought themselves some time.. but the strings will unravel.
Only SCOTUS can reverse itself and that is very rare, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Because voting is a right, not a privilege. There is no process to be protected. You cannot discriminate against a citizen in elections, period.
What other rights are out there? Hmm...the Bill of Rights, right? Is right to free speech absolute? No restrictions? Right to bear arms absolute? No restrictions?

The Supreme Court has ruled time and time and time and time again that reasonable restrictions upon our rights are allowed. Once again, you are wrong.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet fraud has never been an issue in any election in Oregon.
The judges ruling actually accepts the fact that fraud takes place, they said its just not enough to justiy requiring ID because the punishment for fraud is so high.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
NO ITS NOT.. Rights can not be infringed upon..

We deny people the ability to vote all the time..

Such as FELONS..

The right to vote is similar to saying one has a right to eat, which is true, but that doesnt mean you dont have to go earn money to buy the dam food to eat.
What part of the constitution do you not understand?

Voting is a protected right per the 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th Amendments.

Felony disenfranchisement is a special case because felons have already been subjected to due process. A felon doesn't have the right to anything at that point.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Only SCOTUS can reverse itself and that is very rare, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I incorrectly assumed everyone already knew that. Silly me. I should have know better considering some of the arguments presented.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Voter ID is constitutional if all steps required to vote and obtain said ID are FREE.
In PA you can get voting only ID that require minimal documentation. The biggest being a SS number, I'm not even sure they require the card. That's good for ten years, if you lived to 80 you'd have to go to the licensing center 6 times in your life. Would you consider this a burden?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
How do you know? How would anyone? If you remove the ability to prove the fraud, it's intellectually dishonest to say "well you can't prove fraud is happening so therefore it isn't happening." The voting process is wide open to fraud - proven by people registering dogs to prove it - and voter ID is only one tiny step in protecting our process. What if you found out Republicans paid thousands of people to vote with fake registrations they submitted to the state of Oregon (one of those wide open states)? Would you want some protection of our process then? Who's to say they haven't done that? Who's to say the Democrats haven't?

This is why we need to protect our process. Yes, by all means, let's make sure we put forth the steps to not disenfranchise people. I'm not one of those that will say "hey you're old, you should have an ID already." No, I say, okay, how can we make it possible for you to get that ID? Because I actually have interest in protecting the process, not disenfranchising anyone. As I've said before, there are right and wrong ways to implement voter ID but I stand by my contention we do need to implement it.
How do I know unicorns don't exist? Why not issue a microchip in every voter so that is can only be scanned once for a vote so there would be no issue of voter fraud.

If the state found out the Republicans paid thousands of people to vote with fake registrations, then thousands of people and a number of Republicans would go to prison.

You find me proof of rampant voter fraud and then we will talk. Every time voter fraud happens, it happens on the collection side and not on the voter side, therefore photo IDs would not catch that kind of fraud. You have to first learn where fraud happens before you tackle it. Tackling a problem that you are unclear if it even exists or to what degree it failure in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies