Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:32 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
What other rights are out there? Hmm...the Bill of Rights, right? Is right to free speech absolute? No restrictions? Right to bear arms absolute? No restrictions?

The Supreme Court has ruled time and time and time and time again that reasonable restrictions upon our rights are allowed. Once again, you are wrong.
Nope. You want to get busy about your lack of reading comprehension?

Freedom of speech is freedom to speak out against the government. It isn't freedom to threaten other citizens, or stay stupid things about private individuals without consequence.

The right to bear arms is absolute. HOWEVER, permit issue is not unconstitutional. The Second Amendment does not read "every citizen shall be issued a gun." It reads "shall not be infringed." Anything not included in the constitution is subject to the states. Gun permitting is done as such.

Voting has explicit text in the constitution that prohibits the government from infringing on the basis of color, sex, age, and poll tax. Voter ID requirements are a poll tax. Is there a gun tax Amendment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What part of the constitution do you not understand?

Voting is a protected right per the 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th Amendments.
WRONG.. All of those indicate that we cant deny people to vote based upon sex, color etc..

It doesnt say for example we cant deny people the ability to vote who is on welfare, or who dont work, or dont own property. The Constitution let the states establish what standards they wanted
Quote:
Felony disenfranchisement is a special case because felons have already been subjected to due process. A felon doesn't have the right to anything at that point.
Wrong.. due process is a DIFFERENT section the Constitution and has nothing to do with voting.. We as a society have set one such standard to vote, as not being convicted of a felony. We could by all means establish other standards as well, provided we dont set them again, based upon sex, color etc..

Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I have never understood the logic that voter ID keeps the poor from voting because they can't get a government issued ID. You have to have ID to get food stamps, WICK, Obamacare, etc., etc., etc.

Who exactly are these poor people without IDs? Or is this issue just a Mitch Snyder homeless number - made up!
I guess they are poor people who do not take food stamps.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How do I know unicorns don't exist? Why not issue a microchip in every voter so that is can only be scanned once for a vote so there would be no issue of voter fraud.

If the state found out the Republicans paid thousands of people to vote with fake registrations, then thousands of people and a number of Republicans would go to prison.

You find me proof of rampant voter fraud and then we will talk. Every time voter fraud happens, it happens on the collection side and not on the voter side, therefore photo IDs would not catch that kind of fraud. You have to first learn where fraud happens before you tackle it. Tackling a problem that you are unclear if it even exists or to what degree it failure in the making.
You obviously didn't read what I wrote or either didn't understand it. The Democrats have rigged the system so that we can't even prove this has happened. Without asking for any ID at either the registration point or the voting poll, without asking for any proof of citizenship at any point, without asking for any verifiable information - those are the reasons we have a voting process wide open to fraud. You seem content with that. I, and a majority of Americans, am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
In PA you can get voting only ID that require minimal documentation. The biggest being a SS number, I'm not even sure they require the card. That's good for ten years, if you lived to 80 you'd have to go to the licensing center 6 times in your life. Would you consider this a burden?
Not at all. Social Security number is easily verifiable.

The problem is the hoops Republicans are creating to tackle a problem that doesn't exist. It is an artificially created "concern" to mask their cheating agenda.

If voter fraud is truly such an issue, make it easier for people to vote honestly; not more difficult.

Quote:
Nope. You want to get busy about your lack of reading comprehension?

Freedom of speech is freedom to speak out against the government. It isn't freedom to threaten other citizens, or stay stupid things about private individuals without consequence.
Oh bull ****.. One is allowed to say anything they want about other individuals provided you can argue its your opinion.. I think left wing posters are stupid.. Now sue me...
Quote:
The right to bear arms is absolute. HOWEVER, permit issue is not unconstitutional. The Second Amendment does not read "every citizen shall be issued a gun." It reads "shall not be infringed." Anything not included in the constitution is subject to the states. Gun permitting is done as such.
It also doesnt say every cititizen shall vote either
Quote:
Voting has explicit text in the constitution that prohibits the government from infringing on the basis of color, sex, age, and poll tax. Voter ID requirements are a poll tax. Is there a gun tax Amendment?
So you admit your babble that the 15th, 19th, 24th, and 26th amendment doesnt say what you just claimed it says on the previous posting?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
I, on the other hand, think everyone should be given equal opportunity to vote ten times if so inclined.
Fixed it for you.

Actually it is time for a party that will kick federal judges like this idiot in the the rear end for being stupid.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
WRONG.. All of those indicate that we cant deny people to vote based upon sex, color etc..

It doesnt say for example we cant deny people the ability to vote who is on welfare, or who dont work, or dont own property. The Constitution let the states establish what standards they wanted

Wrong.. due process is a DIFFERENT section the Constitution and has nothing to do with voting.. We as a society have set one such standard to vote, as not being convicted of a felony. We could by all means establish other standards as well, provided we dont set them again, based upon sex, color etc..
Actually, welfare falls into "failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
As far as I'm concerned, Felony disenfranchisement is unconstitutional as well (this issue has been brought up in the past).

Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
If voter fraud is truly such an issue, make it easier for people to vote honestly; not more difficult.
That makes absolutely no sense.

I hold voter cards in 4 different state right now.

Oh, PA, IL and Florida.. Is that not enough for you? How many states should I be allowed to register in?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

deny, deny, deny..Geez I wonder where the notion of voter suppression being the goal came from?

CCC, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies