Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
To be honest the whole macabre incident the other day with veins exploding, screaming and him sitting upright after 13 minutes was like something from some horror film or Nazi experiment.
Use a guillotine and it will never happen.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why a complicated 3 drug combination? Dogs are put down humanely with 1 drug.
Because in some, the first drug might wear off before the patient has died. That seems to be what happened to this guy. He got the Versed, which might have caused him to sleep for a short time. After the versed, his IV infiltrated and the other drugs infused into his tissues instead of directly into his blood stream. He became conscious before the paralyzing drugs and potassium could be absorbed.

If I had to guess, perhaps this man pulled back as much as he could with his arm as the versed was being injected, thus displacing the needle out of the vein. Versed, given in high quantities, can cause stinging in the vein perhaps causing the man to pull back or twist his arm.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
It's not just one though, there's been several cases, and the situation has become worse since the export ban of certain drugs used in executions to the US by the EU and other countries.

New Statesman | US prisons, foiled by an EU boycott, are turning to untested drugs in executions

BBC News - EU imposes strict controls on 'execution drug' exports

Europe moves to block trade in medical drugs used in US executions | World news | theguardian.com
I still don't understand this. Why can't they just do what hospice workers do for terminal patients and give them high doses of morphine? I've seen it, and it seems very peaceful. Certainly more peaceful than what my uncle was going through before hospice was ordered. You can't believe the unimaginable pain terminal cancer causes in people. He prayed for death for weeks. It was awful. With the extra morphine, he just slept and died peacefully. If it's good enough for my beautiful uncle who in no way deserved that kind of death, it should be good enough for the monster who watched as a 19-year old girl was buried alive after he shot her.

I will again reiterate that Oklahoma did it all wrong by not giving enough of the cocktail of drugs in the first place, and then halting it altogether. If his veins exploded, then all the more reason someone should have put that guy out of his misery like any humane person would do for a dog or a horse. Watching him suffer like that for 45 minutes with no thought to end it nicely sounds not much better than what he did to his own victim.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If you put it this way, I would have to say that verdict is unclear.

"Whilst lethal injection is often thought of as the most humane method of execution, recent evidence is calling this assumption into question. A firing squad is certainly fast, but there is always the risk, however small, that a marksman will miss. Hanging has a similar potential for miscalculation, whilst suffocation and the electric chair can clearly cause undue suffering."

Making a Killing: Which is the Most Humane Method of Execution? | Unpopular Science
The game changer in terms of lethal injection is the fact that many US States can't get the drugs they need anymore following EU and other countries issuing a boycott due to their disapproval of capital punishment. Which means the best and most effective drugs aren't always available, and to use experimental cocktails and hope for the best is just not good enough, and if anything hands ammunition to those who oppose the death penalty.

Whilst I am not a supporter of the death penalty, if it is to be carried out, it should be quick, humane and effective, and this wasn't the case in Oklahoma and hasn't been the case in several other such executions using various cocktails of drugs to get around the international ban.

As for your link, even if hanging does go wrong you are not going to be alive 40 minutes later, and a good hangman can dispatch a person in seconds, and takes weight, height and other calculations in to consideration. The same is true of firing squads, they rarely leave a person alive and are very quick and effective.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Because in some, the first drug might wear off before the patient has died. That seems to be what happened to this guy. He got the Versed, which might have caused him to sleep for a short time. After the versed, his IV infiltrated and the other drugs infused into his tissues instead of directly into his blood stream. He became conscious before the paralyzing drugs and potassium could be absorbed.

If I had to guess, perhaps this man pulled back as much as he could with his arm as the versed was being injected, thus displacing the needle out of the vein. Versed, given in high quantities, can cause stinging in the vein perhaps causing the man to pull back or twist his arm.
Although I am sure most are scared of the injection this man seemed to be particularly concerned about the lethal injection. I am curious if his heightened adrenaline could play a factor?

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I know. We need to do away with capital punishment already.

And denying someone their last meal because it's too expensive when they're about to be executed is unbelievably petty. You can barely eat at Chili's for $15 anymore. Ugh. Stay classy Oklahoma.

What about the "class" this worthless POS showed poor Ms Nieman??? Maybe they should have let him go and he could live at your house?? There you could treat him to any of OK finer restaurants!!! I could recommend a few if you'd like!!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
this man seemed to be particularly concerned about the lethal injection.
And this matters why?

Maybe he should have been a little more concerned about the condition and fears of his victim.

The very idea that we give two hoots about "his concerns", is grotesque.

Society owes him nothing. Society DOES owe itself... the act of getting rid of this guy as quickly and conveniently (for society) as it can, while only making sure the method is not "cruel or unusual". And most executions methods - guillotine, injection, firing squald, hanging, etc. - fill the bill just fine.

Guillotine is quick, easy, and the least likely to fail. It gets my vote. And if this guy is "particularly concerned".... well, the guillotine will cure that, too.

Problem solved.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:27 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And this matters why?

Maybe he should have been a little more concerned about the condition and fears of his victim.

The very idea that we give two hoots about "his concerns", is grotesque.

Society owes him nothing. Society DOES owe itself... the act of getting rid of this guy as quickly and conveniently (for society) as it can, while only making sure the method is not "cruel or unusual". And most executions methods - guillotine, injection, firing squald, hanging, etc. - fill the bill just fine.

Guillotine is quick, easy, and the least likely to fail. It gets my vote. And if this guy is "particularly concerned".... well, the guillotine will cure that, too.

Problem solved.
Relax, I am not expressing sympathy for him, just curious if his body's reactions contributed to the problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
The game changer in terms of lethal injection is the fact that many US States can't get the drugs they need anymore following EU and other countries issuing a boycott due to their disapproval of capital punishment. Which means the best and most effective drugs aren't always available, and to use experimental cocktails and hope for the best is just not good enough, and if anything hands ammunition to those who oppose the death penalty.

Whilst I am not a supporter of the death penalty, if it is to be carried out, it should be quick, humane and effective, and this wasn't the case in Oklahoma and hasn't been the case in several other such executions using various cocktails of drugs to get around the international ban.

As for your link, even if hanging does go wrong you are not going to be alive 40 minutes later, and a good hangman can dispatch a person in seconds, and takes weight, height and other calculations in to consideration. The same is true of firing squads, they rarely leave a person alive and are very quick and effective.
Can you imagine being a hangman or the person who administers these lethal cocktails of drugs? What a gruesome profession! What do they tell people when they ask what that person does for a living? I imagine the party invitations dry up very quickly when people know their profession.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:30 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Can you imagine being a hangman or the person who administers these lethal cocktails of drugs? What a gruesome profession! What do they tell people when they ask what that person does for a living? I imagine the party invitations dry up very quickly when people know their profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies