Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Lethal injection where the patient lives is considered cruel and unusual punishment, the mixture being used is not effective they knew that in advance. What the victim asked for is irrelevant, the state is supposed to administer a fair and quick end to his life.
I still don't understand why Americans have to have to make the death penalty in to some macabre side show, with viewing galleries and strange methods of execution.

When we had the death penalty in Britain it was largely carried out by those who sought to just dispatch the guilty individual as quickly and painlessly as possible.

As I have already stated Albert Pierrepoint, hung over 435 people, including Americans guilty of crimes while posted in Britain during WW2, as well as the Nazi War Criminals at Nuremberg, serial killers, those involved in crimes of passion such as Ruth Ellis and even people who later turned out to be innocent.

Albert Pierrepoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

It is said to be a deterrent. I cannot agree. There have been murders since the beginning of time, and we shall go on looking for deterrents until the end of time. If death were a deterrent, I might be expected to know. It is I who have faced them last, young men and girls, working men, grandmothers. I have been amazed to see the courage with which they take that walk into the unknown. It did not deter them then, and it had not deterred them when they committed what they were convicted for. All the men and women whom I have faced at that final moment convince me that in what I have done I have not prevented a single murder.

Albert Pierrepoint 1974
Quote:

“The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the civilisation of any country. A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state and even of convicted criminals against the state, a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment, a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry of all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment, tireless efforts towards the discovery of curative and regenerating processes and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if only you can find it in the heart of every person – these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it.”

Winston Spencer Churchill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:56 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Baloney.

And he didn't live.

/end
Yes 40 minutes later

Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,821 times
Mission accomplished.
Don't make this guy into a victim.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I still don't understand why Americans have to have to make the death penalty in to some macabre side show, with viewing galleries and strange methods of execution.

When we had the death penalty in Britain it was largely carried out by those who sought to just dispatch the guilty individual as quickly and painlessly as possible.

As I have already stated Albert Pierrepoint, hung over 435 people, including Americans guilty of crimes while posted in Britain during WW2, as well as the Nazi War Criminals at Nuremberg, serial killers, those involved in crimes of passion such as Ruth Ellis and even people who later turned out to be innocent.

Albert Pierrepoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sure does not appear to be a deterrent these murderers have depraved indifference to life, including their own.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,945 times
Some good posts here..most of em a good laugh..

I agree with most, i don't have one shred of sympathy if the monster suffered or not. I only care about the victims family.

Personally...this guy got too many years to live, he should have been put down long ago and also agree about using the firing squad..far cheaper and very effective for this type of scum!!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,065 times
I bet "something went wrong" by design

Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
It sure does not appear to be a deterrent these murderers have depraved indifference to life, including their own.
Does anybody really think about the consequences when murdering someone, they either do it in the heat of the moment, in anger or revenge or they are so warped in relation to serial killers or gangland killings that they don't care about the consequences any way.

However if you do want to dispatch people from this mortal coil surely it should be done quickly, without pleasure and with some compassion.

In terms of Albert Pierrepoint he assisted his Uncle Thomas Pierrpoint in executing many of the 18 American Servicemen who were hung at Shepton Mallet Prison in Somerset, England during World War 2.

Quote:

Albert Pierrepoint is known to have disapproved of the Americans' practice of reading out to the condemned man, as he stood on the trap-door, the details of his offence and sentence. He said:

The part of the routine which I found it hardest to acclimatise myself to was the, to me, sickening interval between my introduction to the prisoner and his death. Under British custom I was working to the sort of timing where the drop fell between eight and twenty seconds after I had entered the condemned cell. Under the American system, after I had pinioned the prisoner, he had to stand on the drop for perhaps six minutes while his charge sheet was read out, sentence spelt out, and he was asked if he had anything to say, and after that I was instructed to get on with the job.

—Albert Pierrepoint, Home Office Executioner

HM Prison Shepton Mallet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Well, accident happens? Nobody tortured him?

"A four-time felon, Lockett was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Neiman with a sawed-off shotgun and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in rural Kay County in 1999 after Neiman and a friend arrived at a home the men were robbing.

Lockett had sued the state for refusing to disclose details about the execution drugs, including where Oklahoma obtained them."

Okla. inmate dies of heart attack after botched execution | Fox News

I tried not to think about how much "he" suffered because ANYBODY who believe a "person" who ended a 19 year old young life and buried her alive deserve any kind of good treatment perhaps really need to get off their moral high horse.

Bottom line is that he didn't deserve to be tortured, but nobody has tortured him. Accident happens, too bad.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.
Karma, at its finest. His "suffering" is nothing compared to the terror and suffering of his INNOCENT victim.

The only bad thing is that this scumbag's family will get money from the govt to ease their pain.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Yes 40 minutes later
Wonder how long it took his victim to die, after being buried alive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies