Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not okay with the suffering, just not going to cry into my milk over it once I heard his victim was buried alive. I have been against the death penalty for a while, favoring life without parole. However, I recently watched a documentary about the suffering of these lifers and the people around them. Many spend most of their time in solitary because with nothing to lose, they are far too prone to injuring or killing their cellmates and prison guards. Of course not all of them, but quite a few. So now I'm back in favor of the death penalty, but really only for the most heinous crimes where guilt is not even a question.

What needs to happen is a firing squad where all but one of the guns is loaded with blanks so no one is quite sure which person fired the killing shot. I imagine it's horrible standing there waiting for the shot, but far quicker and less painful than sitting on a cold gurney in a glass-windowed room while others watch you die. To me, death by firing squad is probably the easiest death. Let's face it, there are some evil people who just deserve to be taken out of this world.
Interesting. I have no idea why inmates are on death row for decades, and didn't realize the damage it can do, but that makes sense. I will have to look for that documentary.

I agree with the firing squad idea including the blanks. That way no one has the guilt of having blood on their hands. As far as the death row inmate, I think they should have a sedative to ease the anxiety before the firing.

I think a lot of people here who say they don't mind the suffering because of what was done to the victim haven't quite thought it through. Human suffering is human suffering whether the victim is innocent or guilty and this should make people uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Drowning always got me........still does. Why I wear a life jacket when out on the boat. Should have learned how to swim better I guess.........lol
True, drowning to me isn't all that different than being buried alive. It's the idea of knowing you're dying and not being able to do anything about it that gets me. My friend died by falling off the fifth floor of a parking garage, and I can't get it out of my mind how incredibly long that fall must have felt to him knowing it was the end. I also think of those poor people jumping out of the World Trade Center rather than being consumed by fire. As much as I fear fire, I think I'd almost rather that than falling. Then again, those people chose to jump and it was an incredibly high fall, so hopefully that helped and what they say is actually true that people die before they hit the ground (pure speculation and doubtful to me).

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.

I know. We need to do away with capital punishment already.

And denying someone their last meal because it's too expensive when they're about to be executed is unbelievably petty. You can barely eat at Chili's for $15 anymore. Ugh. Stay classy Oklahoma.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
I'm not okay with the suffering, just not going to cry into my milk over it once I heard his victim was buried alive. I have been against the death penalty for a while, favoring life without parole. However, I recently watched a documentary about the suffering of these lifers and the people around them. Many spend most of their time in solitary because with nothing to lose, they are far too prone to injuring or killing their cellmates and prison guards. Of course not all of them, but quite a few. So now I'm back in favor of the death penalty, but really only for the most heinous crimes where guilt is not even a question.

What needs to happen is a firing squad where all but one of the guns is loaded with blanks so no one is quite sure which person fired the killing shot. I imagine it's horrible standing there waiting for the shot, but far quicker and less painful than sitting on a cold gurney in a glass-windowed room while others watch you die. To me, death by firing squad is probably the easiest death. Let's face it, there are some evil people who just deserve to be taken out of this world.
The families always end up doing the the life without parole thing. They have to live it every day the loss. Now some want em to do time and deal with it..........I'd just want to shoot em. IMO it should be up to the families who have to deal with it all to dole out the verdict............but we live in a society based on law.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
I guess karma wasn't "instant".

Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
OK, Since there is such sympathy for a cold blooded monster that would bury a defenseless woman alive, how about this?

Sit him in his chair, nice and comfy.
Bring him his meal. all hot and tasty,
Let him cut into it and take the first bite...

Then while he is enjoying it, someone that is standing behind him quietly puts a bullet in his brain.
He never knows what hit him, and he is still enjoying that steak or whatever as he walks through the gates of Hell.

How is that for kindness to monsters?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The families always end up doing the the life without parole thing. They have to live it every day the loss. Now some want em to do time and deal with it..........I'd just want to shoot em. IMO it should be up to the families who have to deal with it all to dole out the verdict............but we live in a society based on law.
Funny how so many pro-capital punishment people are both anti-Islam but are pro-Sharia law when it comes to justice.

I've heard both "hang 'em RIGHT NOW and/or let the families kick the stool" and "kill the Muslim infidels" coming out of the same mouths enough times to see a pattern.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic only.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have no idea why inmates are on death row for decades, and didn't realize the damage it can do, but that makes sense. I will have to look for that documentary.

I agree with the firing squad idea including the blanks. That way no one has the guilt of having blood on their hands. As far as the death row inmate, I think they should have a sedative to ease the anxiety before the firing.

I think a lot of people here who say they don't mind the suffering because of what was done to the victim haven't quite thought it through. Human suffering is human suffering whether the victim is innocent or guilty and this shouldn't be a part of justice.
I absolutely agree with the sedative idea, though I doubt there is any easing of anxiety. Probably the most comforting thing to them is the belief that they will get a chance at heaven if they repented, and possibly the slight relief that the long years of fighting is resolved. Death row inmates are usually confined to a cell 23/7, meaning they get one hour outside the cell. It isn't a whole lot different than the lifers in solitary confinement, though I believe they get to see visitors and read.

The whole thing is awful, and I hate human suffering no matter who is suffering. I imagine I might feel differently if the victim were someone close to me though. At least the death row inmates do have an opportunity to come to peace with their deaths, unlike their victims. And if they believe in Jesus and have been saved, they have the peace of believing that they will get into heaven.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM

794 posts, read 819,573 times
Quote:
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.
From the link:
Quote:
A four-time felon, Lockett was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Neiman with a sawed-off shotgun and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in rural Kay County in 1999 after Neiman and a friend arrived at a home the men were robbing.
Why shouldn't he have suffered exactly? Perhaps this was Karma at work.

Boo freakin hoo...

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:

Back in the mid 70s when death penalty was coming back to life after being determined "unconstitutional", Gary Gilmore requested execution by firing squad. He got his wish. His last words were, "let's do it!"

Supposedly, Nike's inspiration for their slogan "Just Do It" was from Gary Gilmore's last words. SNL did a sketch on Gilmore. That was back when SNL was worth watching. Ol' Gary made quite a splash before political correctness killed America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies