Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wiki.............lol

When did you..........go back and read your posts. Unreal.
OK I will quote the article for you since you obvs didn't read.

Quote:
A straw man, also known in the UK as an Aunt Sally,[1][2] is a common type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on the misrepresentation of the original topic of argument. To be successful, a straw man argument requires that the audience be ignorant or uninformed of the original argument.
The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" implies an adversarial, polemic, or combative debate, and creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument, ("knock down a straw man,") instead of the original proposition.[3][4]

This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged emotional issues where a fiery, entertaining "battle" and the defeat of an "enemy" may be more valued than critical thinking or understanding both sides of the issue.

So basically you are knocking down a straw man when you assert that I was supporting child molesters and killers when I did nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
No talking about the death penalty...............some it appers want to argue about nonsense. You should stick to wiki though. Shows your intelligence.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
No one has the right to take the life of another outside of self defense.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one has the right to take the life of another outside of self defense.
Tell that to parents who have had their kids killed. Why does it have to come down to self defense? The killers in this country have so much power all we can do is defend ourselves. Hang em.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.
Aw. How sad.

BTW, lethal injection is the most pain-free humane way of killing someone.

Shooting is no guarantee. Not by a long shot (pardon the pun).

Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No talking about the death penalty...............some it appers want to argue about nonsense. You should stick to wiki though. Shows your intelligence.
Wiki did not invent the term "straw man" so this is yet another straw man and yet another ad hominem.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible.

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die
In his case, they should have brought back the electric chair, you know, the kind that
starts on fire "Old Sparky".

That poor girl and her family. That is where any grief condolences belong.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The constitution says no cruel and unusual punishment. If you don't like that, YOU get out. Ad hominem meets with ad hominem
You likely have no sympathy for the lives that this monster took off this planet. You seriously care about criminals and their well being and not their victims? Sick!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

So basically you are knocking down a straw man when you assert that I was supporting child molesters and killers when I did nothing of the sort.
Then I challenge you to prove it by calling this man and monster and saying that you have more sympathy for his victims than him and that all murderers and child molesters should be punished.

Doubt you will though!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.

You have pity for someone who committed horrendous crimes, whose victim had the right to live and complaining that paying extra for his last meal was refused?

I wonder if you would be so sympathetic if the victim was one of your family members who I'm sure suffered much longer than 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies