Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Then I challenge you to prove it by calling this man and monster and saying that you have more sympathy for his victims than him and that all murderers and child molesters should be punished.

Doubt you will though!
IF he was guilty, he was a monster. All guilty murderers and child molesters should be punished.

But the government has limited itself from cruel and unusual punishment. This punishment took 45 minutes which is cruel. None of our NATO allies use capital punishment, so it is unusual.

QED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.
That right there makes me say "What difference does it make anyway".

I have to wonder, why don't we just use the same stuff we use on dogs? Seems very quick and effective, and if it's good enough for an innocent dog, it's good enough for these animals.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That right there makes me say "What difference does it make anyway".

I have to wonder, why don't we just use the same stuff we use on dogs? Seems very quick and effective, and if it's good enough for an innocent dog, it's good enough for these animals.
Human beings are not dogs. Read the Constitution, people. Our government cannot give us cruel and unusual punishment.

Why is nobody giving me reputation on these posts btw?

Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Human beings are not dogs. Read the Constitution, people. Our government cannot give us cruel and unusual punishment.

That answer should be fairly obvious.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:

What is so cruel and unusual about what we use on dogs? I was there when one of ours was put down, it's virtually instant, like someone flipped a switch. Better than the criminals on death row deserve, but still, it would take away all this whining about how "cruel and unusual" it is to put these vicious predators down.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69
So he still lived 20 years longer than the person he helped to kill.
Ya its hard to feel sorry for someone that takes anothers life out of COLD BLOOD!!!! (They get what they deserve)

Old 04-30-2014, 01:37 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Now his family can sue. They've no doubt suffered extreme psychological trauma especially if they were present. He was basically worthless to them in life, now he may be worth something to them in death.
I'll be that no good guard Percy had something to do with it.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm pro death penalty, but think it should be clean and without suffering. This is just terrible. Why not bring back the firing squad? Also, they refused to pay more for his last meal? Unbelievable.

Oklahoma Inmate Dies After Execution Is Botched - ABC News

It took almost 45 minutes for him to die, with him at one point into the execution sitting up and saying "something's wrong." The officials said it was hard to watch. He was sentenced to death 20 years ago after aiding in killing and witnessing the live burial of Stephanie Neiman.
I'm calling BS on the bolded.....How could he sit up when he is strapped down across the chest and both arms are strapped down plus there is at least 3 other straps holding his body down?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Obviously if you are executed and there is huge doubt over your culpability you did not receive a fair trial.

No, I do not decide who gets a fair trial because I do not give the government, juries, or judges authority to decide who lives and who dies. My solution -- life in prison -- makes mistakes reversible. Capital punishment allows an innocent man to be executed and potentially to take 45 minutes to do so.

Again, I want to know peoples' opinions on the Amanda Knox case. Because I have seen so much shaming over the Italian justice system over this girl's conviction when she is probably not guilty. But Italy is not trying to execute her and take 45 minutes to do so.

But we have such fair trials and such a wonderful justice system in this country. Ask the witches executed in Salem.
Salem? Goodness! Pick yourself up and move into the present. And Amanda Knox? What jury system did she have?

Goodness! Talk about trying to change the subject by bringing in straw men! This is good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm calling BS on the bolded.....How could he sit up when he is strapped down across the chest and both arms are strapped down plus there is at least 3 other straps holding his body down?
For sure. There's no way the guy sat up and started talking. Not a chance.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Not that I agree with capital punishment, but in terms of the most effective and quick method surely hanging is the best option. A good hangman like Albert Pierrepoint could dispatch somebody fairly painlessly and within seconds, as was demonstrated in the Films 'Let Him Have It' and 'The Last Hangman'. I never did understand the American use of Electric Chairs, Gas Chambers or other such methods.

Here's the hanging scene from 'Let Him Have It', in which Derek Bentley, who should never have been executed goes to the gallows at HM Prison Wandsworth.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies