Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were scientifically proven that homosexuality is not a choice, would you still support gay mar
Yes 113 81.29%
No 26 18.71%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm saying the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, it's a private decision between consenting adults, so that would be shrinking the government.

I would agree with that, but it's never going to happen. So you see same-sex marriage as a zero sum with regards to growing the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 11:28 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Everyone selectively wants the government to get out of things they don't agree with, while maintaining interference elsewhere.

How many bankers advocating for "small government" would want the FDIC to go away? Or fed bonds? How many farmers screaming about welfare queens turn around and scream when their subsidies are on the chopping block?
Is it a subsidy? Or is it payment for contracted commodities and insurance to cover the possible loss of such? 79.2% of the Farm Bill funds SNAP benefits. What do you think SNAP benefits and free and reduced-price school lunches are feeding people? Cardboard?

Source: Washington Post

(Note to moderators: all images appearing in this post have been linked via HTML text command in a legally permissible manner per the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Perfect 10 v. Amazon ruling, and as such do not constitute copyright violation.)

Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
And I do agree.

However, since that'll never happen, the only way to proceed is to allow marriage between all consenting adults. Regardless of sexuality, color, religion, relation, or plurality.
I agree.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
What other full grown adults do is their own business.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM

741 posts, read 764,530 times
Quote:
If homosexuality were proven to be a choice ...

The question of choice or predetermination has been settled. It's generally accepted by intelligent people ... that people don't choose to be heterosexual, homosexual, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I would agree with that, but it's never going to happen. So you see same-sex marriage as a zero sum with regards to growing the government?
No. As it is now, allowing same-sex marriage will grow the government: more marriage licenses, family court cases, etc., to process.

As much as I loathe growing the government, and given the current government intrusion into the process, allowing same-sex marriage is the right thing to do. Consenting adults? No one else's business who anyone chooses to marry. Period.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
What other full grown adults do is their own business.
Consenting adults? Good to go.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
None of my business

Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. As it is now, allowing same-sex marriage will grow the government: more marriage licenses, family court cases, etc., to process.

As much as I loathe growing the government, and given the current government intrusion into the process, allowing same-sex marriage is the right thing to do. Consenting adults? No one else's business who anyone chooses to marry. Period.
Gotcha. I agree it is the right thing to do.

Not sure about growing the government. Yes, it will increase volumes of the things you listed. Increased to the point where more .gov staff is needed? Probably not. It won't require any new laws on the books, so it doesn't grow in that way, either.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Unfortunately for you, the vast majority of society believes that exchanging vows in a house of God is very significant and important.
Appeal to majority fallacy much? Unfortunately for YOU their thinking it is important does not change the fact it is an empty and meaningless ceremony tacked on to the front of an institution that has nothing to do with religion at all. So keep missing the point kid, it will find you in the end.

Quote:
Most weddings are conducted in church or a synagogue for a reason. Most people associate marriage with a religious element.
You are just repeating the same appeal to majority fallacy as you did above. Essentially you are just repeating your same error but using different words to do it. That people ASSOCIATE X and Y does not mean X and Y are the same. Get it now son?

Quote:
Furthermore, if you want to go against the grain of society, have at it, but don't demand that I provide evidence. If you want evidence, go seek it yourself. Christians owe you nothing.
The onus is on the person making a claim to provide the evidence. If you can not provide any for the things you claim then you are just showing the weakness in your own position(s). And I am more than happy to let you do that by simply keeping you talking.

Christians HAVE nothing. That does not mean they OWE nothing. Learn the difference.

The fact you have to build a birdge and get over is that society is not a fixed entity with a "grain" to go against. That is solely your imagination. The fact is society is a forever changing thing, evolving and progressing. And it seems that it is progressing in a way you do not like. Bully for you.

Quote:
I think gay people should have all the same legal rights as straight people. I just believe it shouldn't require redefining our moral traditions to accomplish it.
Which moral traditions? Do for once actually research what you write before writing it. Just once. The history of marriage is not as you imagine it to be. It has been a constant changing thing over history. Your moral traditions are not as traditional or as long lived as you might want to pretend to yourself in that place where you keep your head in under the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies