Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were scientifically proven that homosexuality is not a choice, would you still support gay mar
Yes 113 81.29%
No 26 18.71%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What do you have against polyandry? You only seem to bring up polygamy when you are trying to attack same-sex marriage.

My guess is he still believes it's a "gotcha" moment thinking that most of us would argue against him and "reveal our hypocrisy".

In the mean time, ignoring the fact we actually don't care about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilt11

The acts of homosexuality are a choice. Who
they are, is not. I use to think differently. Seriously, you can look at some
of them and just tell.
Many, have the look. Unfortunately, its who they are and
they cant help it. It doesnt change how I think its odd and disgusting but it
is what it is. I wish theyd just find out what causes it. Im sure there is a
gay gene or some miswire somewhere. But thats up to scientists to find out
You can look at some people and just tell that they're close-minded bigots. Many of their posts have the look.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Would those who support "marriage equality" back away from their position?

I'm speaking hypothetically. If you're going to respond with "the vast majority of scientists say people ARE born gay and sexual orientation is not a choice," no need to respond. I already know.

If you would still support gay marriage despite a scientific revelation, what are your reasons?
To answer your question, if homosexuality was a choice, then everyone would be straight. So gay marriage wouldn't even come up in conversation as a possibility.

The one thing that I wonder about though is assuming gender and sexuality binaries. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Would those who support "marriage equality" back away from their position?

I'm speaking hypothetically. If you're going to respond with "the vast majority of scientists say people ARE born gay and sexual orientation is not a choice," no need to respond. I already know.

If you would still support gay marriage despite a scientific revelation, what are your reasons?
Same philosophy. One should not have the right to tell two consenting adults whether or not they can marry. It's none of my business WHY they made that decision.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
How many straight people are out there fighting to get government out of marriage? How many straight married couples are there that are willing to give up those 1049 plus or minus federal rights, protections and benefits? Are you one of those? It is always when it comes to same sex marriage, that straights say they want government out of marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Selective reading issue, methinks.

You must've missed the fact that most of us actually do support poly marriage.

Most?

Have a poll to back up that claim?

I said "usual same-sex marriage suspects" because I really don't know how it breaks down.

Some support only the addition of same-sex marriage and want continued state involvement in marriage.

Others want government completely out of marriage.

Still other make lame excuses for their opposition to polygamy like, "it's too complicated" while continuing to support the government involvement that makes it complicated.

They want same-sex marriage and the government involvement that all but assures them that polygamy will never come to be.

"[quote=TheDragonslayer;34846103]How many straight people are out there fighting to get government out of marriage? How many straight married couples are there that are willing to give up those 1049 plus or minus federal rights, protections and benefits? Are you one of those? It is always when it comes to same sex marriage, that straights say they want government out of marriage."

OK, I'm straight and I want government out of marriage because if they cannot do a better job of administering it than to allow same-sex marriage, then they have no business screwing around with it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit....html#poststop

Old 05-18-2014, 03:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Most?

Have a poll to back up that claim?

I said "usual same-sex marriage suspects" because I really don't know how it breaks down.

Some support only the addition of same-sex marriage and want continued state involvement in marriage.

Others want government completely out of marriage.

Still other make lame excuses for their opposition to polygamy like, "it's too complicated" while continuing to support the government involvement that makes it complicated.

They want same-sex marriage and the government involvement that all but assures them that polygamy will never come to be.

OK, I'm straight and I want government out of marriage because if they cannot do a better job of administering it than to allow same-sex marriage, then they have no business screwing around with it.

You know you don't have to give a civil marriage if you don't want the government involved in your marriage. You can easily find yourself a church that is against same sex marriage for whatever reason and get a religious marriage there and never have the government involved in your marriage. Granted you will have to file separate when doing your taxes, pay the full costs if your spouse were to die, and if they are in the hospital you won't have visitation rights because your marriage wouldn't be recognized by the government. If none of this bothers you, then I say congratulations on your soon to be religious marriage that finally gets the government out of marriage for you.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny, I can go to city hall and get a marriage license, not a civil union license. No religious ceremony needed.

It doesn't change the fact many people like myself see it as a religious institution.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It doesn't change the fact many people like myself see it as a religious institution.
Why should it be my problem that you incorrectly conflate religious marriage and civil marriage?

Civil marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with religion.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
We are born straight. We are born with heterosexual parts.
Some people are born with both sets of parts.

It's all part of GOD'S PLAN.

One example of the challenges involved in the use of the term is the case of women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (CAIS). These women often have primary and secondary sexual characteristics typical of other women; however, they are genetically XY and have internal testes, rather than ovaries. They have the same likelihood of a genetically XX woman of enjoying sexual pleasure but are unable to biologically reproduce.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM

778 posts, read 824,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The one thing that I wonder about though is assuming gender and sexuality binaries. It's a lot more complicated than that.
Some of these people are probably still upset homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness in the DSM.

I think confronting the existence of intersex conditions, gender identity, or pansexuality is probably a bit beyond the poor dears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies