Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:42 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times

Advertisements

And since when is it within the purview of the wife of an elected official to set the values within a family other than her own?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And since when is it within the purview of the wife of an elected official to set the values within a family other than her own?
The First Lady has always been considered the role model for family values, there is nothing wrong with what Michelle has been doing.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
It came about the same time people began to question why the religious push themselves on people.

Rejecting racism should be a family value.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
WTF? Didn't history already show us what happens when the government asks the children to spy on friends, family and neighbors?

Just more division tactics.
There is nothing divisive about calmly telling those you are close to that their bigotry is no longer acceptable in today's society. This is the way things change, by ordinary people no longer accepting racism as okay and "normal." Good suggestions by the First Lady.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
At least since Nancy Reagan: A Brief History of First Ladies and Their Causes - Photo Essays - TIME

This is another non-issue the Right is going to flail over because Michelle Obama said it.

She's encouraging us to eat healthy? FASCIST.

She wants us to exercise? COMMUNIST.

She wants us to confront racism? SPY.

If dear Mrs. Reagan had said these things, there'd be a lot of head nodding and "Yes, that makes sense", followed by "See? Republicans aren't racist. Checkmate, LIEberals. "

Goodness forbid this first lady take up a social cause, as many before her have done.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The First Lady has always been considered the role model for family values, there is nothing wrong with what Michelle has been doing.
Seriously. Where was the outrage when Nancy Reagan was telling everyone to "just say no"? Surely it wasn't in her purview to tell kids they shouldn't do drugs. That's the parents' job, for heaven's sake!!!!

I'm sure Workin_Hard was aghast when Barbara Bush had the nerve to tell families that they should learn how to read.

And Laura Bush! She doubled down on that dreadful literacy thing! Honestly, the nerve of some First Ladies.

/snark.

Seriously, you people are SO transparent with your selective outrage.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Laura Bush asked kids to read books, and i don't think she encouraged them to interrupt family and friends and chastise them on their reading comprehension or for not reading books.

What Michelle is doing is a far cry from simply asking kids to respect people for who they are, and not judge them solely on superficial characteristics like skin color, ethnicity, family income, regional accents etc...

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Seriously. Where was the outrage when Nancy Reagan was telling everyone to "just say no"? Surely it wasn't in her purview to tell kids they shouldn't do drugs. That's the parents' job, for heaven's sake!!!!

I'm sure Workin_Hard was aghast when Barbara Bush had the nerve to tell families that they should learn how to read.

And Laura Bush! She doubled down on that dreadful literacy thing! Honestly, the nerve of some First Ladies.

/snark.

Seriously, you people are SO transparent with your selective outrage.
Asking kids to just say no to drugs, or to read books, is not the same as lecturing kids to actively go out and be critical of other people, and to rebuke them for doing things the First Lady does not approve of.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times
Straight out of Mao's Redbook!
Somethings wrong here with our first family my father took dogs to hunt food not become food...my mother also read Women's Day (Redbook) for receipe's to cook said before food...not to spy & (Democ)rat on friends !

Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
It came about the same time people began to question why the religious push themselves on people.

Rejecting racism should be a family value.
I'm against anyone pushing religious views on anyone else.

But why do you feel that you, Moo-chelle, of anyone outside a family should have any influence over what goes on inside a family (excepting that which is physically harmful)? What's next? Mandating that everyone embrace a gay child or family member, a pedophile, a drug abuser or a thief at the Thanksgiving table despite that some would otherwise choose not to?

The First Cow-butt is already attempting to influence how we eat while setting an example of how to gorge herself at the public trough.

You determine your family values, we'll handle ours within the family. Yours is no business of mine and mine is no business of yours, whatever they may be. I'm not endorsing racism here, but what goes on onside the family is not the governments business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies