Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

This is not a political issue. It's not the place of government to instruct our children to go out as little enforcers.

It is "different." Asking people to be nice, is not the same as telling them to go out and openly confront, rebuke and instruct other citizens how to behave, when they don't toe the line.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-21-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Reporting wasn't even mentioned, but you can bet that is next.
Slipper Slope is a logical fallacy!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-21-2014 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 05-19-2014, 10:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
She and that incredibly low IQ moronic husband of hers are two of the biggest racists on Planet Earth.

So to whom do I report them?
Weren't you listening, report them to Malia and Sasha

When I read the thread intro w/Michelle speaking I thought of two things:

If you ever told my granddaddy to stop talking about something at HIS dinner table,
especially at Thanksgiving, you'd find a wooden spoon down your throat

and two,

That scene from this movie:

guess who - dnner table - YouTube

Aren't family get-togethers fun

Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Asking kids to just say no to drugs, or to read books, is not the same as lecturing kids to actively go out and be critical of other people, and to rebuke them for doing things the First Lady does not approve of.
Except that she's not "lecturing kids to actively go out and be critical of other people and to rebuke them." She's not telling them to go looking for a fight, she's encouraging them to confront racism when they encounter it, because that's how you affect change. How dastardly of the First Lady to advocate for kids to learn to speak out against intolerance!

You right wingers are scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm against anyone pushing religious views on anyone else.

But why do you feel that you, Moo-chelle, of anyone outside a family should have any influence over what goes on inside a family (excepting that which is physically harmful)? What's next? Mandating that everyone embrace a gay child or family member, a pedophile, a drug abuser or a thief at the Thanksgiving table despite that some would otherwise choose not to?

The First Cow-butt is already attempting to influence how we eat while setting an example of how to gorge herself at the public trough.

You determine your family values, we'll handle ours within the family. Yours is no business of mine and mine is no business of yours, whatever they may be. I'm not endorsing racism here, but what goes on onside the family is not the governments business.
As others have said before. The First ladies are known for there capaigns. She is doing what you have seen. She is not doing all the stuff you are assuming that she will do.

I think it is great that someone is actually saying something about obesity of our children. Many people that listen to her or many that she is trying to reach actually need this info.You are not being forced to do anything at all and it was never the plan. Get these kids educated about eating good foods is what she is doing. Just because you are up to speed on proper food choices for your kids(maybe you aren't and your kid and you are junk food junkies, i don't know or care) then why knock it for the others?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Asking kids to just say no to drugs, or to read books, is not the same as lecturing kids to actively go out and be critical of other people, and to rebuke them for doing things the First Lady does not approve of.
The words 'just say no!' is a command. It is not 'asking'.

Speaking up when the dumb relative at the Thanksgiving table starts on a racist rant is not rebuking. It's letting the person know you don't want to hear stuff like that.

I did the same thing quite a few years ago. I had my neighbor over and he started going on and on about the Indian neighbor, who has very dark skin, and called him a N. I told him, Henry, I don't want to hear that and if you continue to talk that way, you can leave right now!

If it had been a relative, I would have gotten into a little more in-depth conversation.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
She's not telling them to go looking for a fight, she's encouraging them to confront racism when they encounter it, because that's how you affect change. How dastardly of the First Lady to advocate for kids to learn to speak out against intolerance!

You right wingers are scraping the bottom of the barrel here.
You affect change by example.

I just posted a copy of Jay Z's lyrics.
Not only do I find them offensive, I find them sexist and vulgar.

I applaud Michelle for encouraging a discussion on racism, but let's not paint it as a
generational thing ( the past versus the present) because from where I am sitting
THIS generation is using the N word and women knock down language far more
than an occasional off cuff remark by someone's grandparent or aunt....

and really, is there a big difference between referring to someone as "you right wingers"
and Michelle pointing out to confront someone when they say "those people",
Sounds the same to me....
so STOP IT

Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
WTF? Didn't history already show us what happens when the government asks the children to spy on friends, family and neighbors?
In her eyes, a racist joke is worse than murder.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
As far as I can tell most of the conservative-right wing has stayed away from Michelle Obama's remarks. The only conservative mouth piece that has mentioned it is the Blaze. It would be interesting if a mainstream Republican criticized her. My dad used to tell race jokes and someone in the family would respond by saying that wasnt funny. Its probably not much of an issue anyways. I would be surprised if this story lasts more than a day.

Michelle Obama Would Like Students to Monitor Family Members for Racial Insensitivity | TheBlaze.com

Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Everything with the Obamas is about race.....I get so sick of it I could just puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies