Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a valid point.

That's exactly why black people were barred from owning firearms for hundreds of years.

I seriously doubt that we would have ever had slavery, Jim Crow, the Klan and thousands of lynchings if blacks had been properly armed.
Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Seriously? Lol you don't think they could have been disarmed by slave owners? Lol
If they had been armed with guns in Africa, yeah they could have.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Seriously? Lol you don't think they could have been disarmed by slave owners? Lol
What by taking 1 gun and then having half the country come after them? If a large majority on slaves had firearms and training, I doubt they'd sit back and watch their wives and daughters be raped and beaten and their children sold..

Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If they had been armed with guns in Africa, yeah they could have.
That is how and why they were taken in the first place, and why Native Americans who fought back lost and are now damn near extinct.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
That is how and why they were taken in the first place, and why Native Americans who fought back lost and are now damn near extinct.
Native Americans aren't darn near extinct. Maybe diluted some. But it is a good point to note that they made a mistake by trusting the government and giving up their arms.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Stop these absurd straw men arguments!
. Were the people who pushed for the XIII, XIV and XV constitution-haters, too?
No, they upheld the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and justice for all.

The people who want to dispose of the 2nd Amendment are the enemies of liberty.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
No way we will ever rid this country of the 2nd Amd. Our government sells the most guns of any country, and if we took away than amendment our government would lose a lot of money. Our government deals arms. It's a dead end for those who want to rid our country of guns. We are a capitalist government, and you'll never get everyone involved to scrap the guns. Closest you'll get is regulations. That's it. Good luck. Why Is the U.S. Selling Billions in Weapons to Autocrats?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
The antiquated 2nd Amendment needs to be repealed. None other then conservative columnist George Will suggested we repeal the "embarassing" 2nd Amendment way back in 1991.

George Will Second Amendment | How Embarrassing: The Constitution Protects the Guns that Kill - Baltimore Sun

I have not checked recently but I am guessing Will may have changed his mind. I don't know and I don't care.

The 2nd Amendment is a blemish on the U.S. constitution....and our gun culture is an embarassing national shame.

No offense to the honest hunters out there. That can be sensibly regulated. But it is the gun nuts who insist they walk into coffee shops and public places with guns that make me sick. Grown men who still want to play army. I'll leave that to our professional men and women in the U.S. military.

And spare me the paranoid speeches about the tyrannical government that is going to knock down your door with the barrel of a gun pointing at your paranoid mind. The government has stockpiles and stockpiles of nuclear weapons. No amount of private gun ownership could stand up to that. A strong democracy does not or should not need such a foolish notion to thrive.

I know I'll be long dead before this ever has a chance of happening...seems the lunatics have taken over. That is the lunatics at the NRA have their fists up the a&* of our elected leaders in Congress.
how long did it take you to find something someone said about repealing a law just to prove a point? Or prove a point you want to prove. Holy Cow, the article is 20 plus years old. I don't know about you, but I do, most of us, have changed our minds on many issues in the past 20 years it is called maturing, learning and rethinking.

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post

And spare me the paranoid speeches about the tyrannical government that is going to knock down your door with the barrel of a gun pointing at your paranoid mind. The government has stockpiles and stockpiles of nuclear weapons. No amount of private gun ownership could stand up to that.
Shhh!

Don't give them any ideas!

Quote:
You meant muskets or AK-47? Let's be honest guys, you're not that great with history. Lol
Most of the black males were armed when captured, with a spear or other simple weapons.
Guns at that time, were very expensive even for Europeans and too cumbersome to use outside of battle fields and duels. Sword was still the weapon of choice.
Yes African's were armed with sticks. Those rounding them up were armed with guns. If both sides had guns history would have been different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies