Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There have been 74 gun incidents at schools in America since Sandy Hook. Here they all are... http://www.vox.com/2014/6/10/5797306/map-school-shooting-sandy-hook
Thanks for this.

I didn't know tragedies happen until now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And there's no question of degree of ease in the killing between a gun, a knife, and a pencil right?

The real problem is menally ill, criminals, and psychotic people having easy access to weapons. They have easy access to weapons because everybody has easy access to them and the country is friggin flooded with them.
A spike heeled shoe can be a weapon.

If a crazy person wants to kill you, the method don't matter.

The end result is death, that is what they're after.

Woman stabbed boyfriend 25 times with stiletto heel

Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The majority of gun owners that I know have them for hunting.

The sad fact of the matter is that the vast majority of shootings are urban and gang related. These are proven to be preventable by instituting tough anti-gang measures and spending money on diversion programs and other youth initiatives.

In short, you have taken the political route and are trying to demonize what is a tiny part of the overall problem by going after what is a majority of law abiding legal gun owners. Meanwhile, you ignore the bulk of the issue which involves gangs and urban areas.

Why is that? Politics, not any real concern over the actual problem.

P.S. The actions I describe require no constitutional amendment, just effort. It's just doesn't have the political usefulness, really...reminds me of the McCarthy trials at some point where is the shame over the politicizing of "sexy shootings".
Yes, I agree...this issue is a textbook example of McCarthyism.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is the whole thing in a nutshell. We've allowed these children who worship their toys to the detriment of human life to control the conversation, which to them means shutting down any possibility of a discussion. Mass shootings every week or two? No problem, that's fine. The body count keeps piling up? That's fine, too. Deal with the carnage, America. Just don't you dare touch my guns!
Maybe if people such as yourself and others that are like minded would just stop and listen instead of running in circles , waving your arms around (metaphorically) you would see many , many people are trying to point out the root causes.
In the inner cities, it's a complete breakdown of human values. Thugs will kill someone for $20 bill or an Ipod... don't you think there is something wrong there other than the gun ? Why are kids (many are 14-18) lacking a value for human life ?

The next thing is the mental health issue. Why are there a certain demographic of people (young adult, socially awkward, diagnosed with mental health issues, etc) snapping and going on killing spree's. Are the meds just not working, are they taking them, are they the cause , etc... Again a deeper issue is here other than the gun.

Then the next thing is just people that are just wired wrong or an event happens in their lives where they snap.. I don't think anything can solve this type of violence.

Until these issues are addressed nothing is going to be solved, anything else is a band-aid. And it seems like the left are afraid to address these because some of the answers might not be too PC. These are tough issues and to solve them is not going to be easy and feelings will be hurt I'm sure.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:17 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So what do you think we should do about mental health? If one person has an inkling that another is dangerous, lock them up? Take away that persons right to own guns (about half the gun lovers on this forum are probably ill under some criteria..paranoia being the most common one.)...or lock them up? Which right is more important, non-lunatic peoples rights to not be shot down or have their children be shot down, or non-lunatic peoplel who happen to worship and fetishize guns having unfettered access to an arsenal?

I'm not going to pretend to have all of the answers in terms of mental health, but I'm damn sure not going to propose repealing the 2nd Amendment, because some nut job decides to quit taking his happy meds! The only ones who suffer from gun control are law abiding citizens who otherwise would not harm someone unless they're were threatened with harm first. Criminals and those who are nutty simply don't give a s***! Why make law abiding citizens more vulnerable because of the idiots in the world?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I wonder how many more public massacres like this will be needed before people start to realize that the conservative "guns everywhere" mantra is just full of ****.
I know it's part of the liberal playbook to put emotion into everything but you might want to look up the word massacres. Don't believe this indecent would fall under the definition of massacres.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
How many more times do we have to see the terrified faces of our children being lead from their schools,their schools for Godsake, with their hands in the air, or grieving widows, mothers, fathers, and children who lost a parent, or car washes for the dead, communities swept up in disbelief and grief, before we put an end to the insanity of guns, guns, guns everywhere and the inevitable carnage it leads to. The right of the people to keep and bear arms has to take a back seat to the right of the people to live without fear as they go about their lives. How many have to die before this anachronistic 2nd Amendment gets repealed, we enact sensible gun legislation, and we put this terrible chapter of our history behind us?
Where in the constitution do you see the bolded as a right?

How will repealing the 2nd Amendment stop criminals from acquiring firearms?

If you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment, what is stopping you?

The amendment process is outlined in Article V of the U.S. Constitution.

Call your state legislative representative and get the ball rolling.

Are you proud to be in favor of denying law abiding citizens their civil rights?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Oh yea...we all have to be vigilant against all those spike-heeled shoe killers. Lock your doors and make sure your children do not go to a school where any teacher wears high heels.

As a word of warning to all you zealous gun rights guys, I hear those spike heeled shoe killers are coming for your guns...watch out!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

I agree that most anything can be a weapon in the hands of someone with intent to harm. But, with all due respect, a person armed with a stiletto would have a difficult time killing 20 elementary school children in a matter of minutes. Can we please demonstrate a little common sense here? There is plenty of room in the second amendment for sensible gun control measures that do not trample on the right of American citizens to keep and bear arms.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'm not going to pretend to have all of the answers in terms of mental health, but I'm damn sure not going to propose repealing the 2nd Amendment, because some nut job decides to quit taking his happy meds! The only ones who suffer from gun control are law abiding citizens who otherwise would not harm someone unless they're were threatened with harm first. Criminals and those who are nutty simply don't give a s***! Why make law abiding citizens more vulnerable because of the idiots in the world?

Background checks, licensing, and tracking of guns. It's as simple as that. It's sensible, it wouldn't stop law abiding people from having guns. People have a right to vote...but the government administrates it.

The problem is that the element that actually REALLY pushes the current situation is the element that believes it is or will be at war with the government. It's a fringe-nut belief system that somehow has been bought into by far too man people who aren't fringe-nuts in their everyday lives. This fringe-nut belief system has enabled nuts to get their hands on guns far to easily.

And yeah, a stilleto shoe is as dangerous as a glock.

I can't give that thought process the only reasonable response it deserves, which is an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies