Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The only hope is a generation of young people who associates the 2nd amendment with school shootings.
Good point. Now if only the sane young people had a huge lobbying organization which owned most of Congress ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Creating gun fee zones just makes liberals feel good.

It is the perfect example of typical liberal symbolism over substance.

Liberals are not rational - they are emotionally driven.
I know it is semantics but they are not Liberal in any fashion.

I use "militant progressives" which seems more appropriate.

Let s get the tags right.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post

In fact it's an insult to classic liberalism.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Hmm. Pens are lethal. Maybe we should think about banning them. Erm I right Liberals?
They also make a great defensive weapon when you can't take a "real" weapon. A quick search on Amazon comes up with dozens. Most made of aircraft grade aluminum or stainless steel with a very sharp point. The Uzi model includes a glass breakage point (for getting out of a car quickly) and a spare handcuff key.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:10 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Not anywhere in my post, Harrier, not anywhere in my post.

Look, you said that if it's not in the Constitution that people should be free to live their lives without fear of some gun nut blowing them away, it's not a right.

That's one of the silliest things you've ever said -- which is saying something.

You can pretend it's because you're such a freedom-loving Constitutionalist, but one, you'll never convince sane Americans that living with guns around every corner and in every public place is what the Founders had in mind, and two, you're deflecting because you're embarrassed by your ridiculous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you think the firearms ownership rate (per capita) was in 1776? Do you think it was higher or lower than it is now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Higher because people needed to hunt for food.

That is no longer the case, nor could the founders have known that 200+ years later, morons would be pretending to be patriotic constitution-lovers in order to defend their sick obsession with guns they only play with.
So, you realize that there were more firearms per capita when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, but your contention is that the founding fathers didn't expect so many people to own firearms? You've pretty much given up on logic and gone straight to wishful thinking at this point, haven't you?

The founding fathers wrote the Bill of Rights in order to protect the inalienable rights that we all have from people like you. I'm sure it irritates you to realize that 200+ years ago there was a group of men who were wise enough to realize that you - or someone much like you - would exist, but protecting all of us from your emotional insanity is the reason that the Bill of Rights exists.

They were wise men.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:13 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post

I like that one. I think I'll start using it too.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Creating gun fee zones just makes liberals feel good.

It is the perfect example of typical liberal symbolism over substance.

Liberals are not rational - they are emotionally driven.
Interesting you say that because I often times see conservatives being emotionally driven rather than making rational decisions.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, you realize that there were more firearms per capita when the founding fathers wrote the constitution, but your contention is that the founding fathers didn't expect so many people to own firearms? You've pretty much given up on logic and gone straight to wishful thinking at this point, haven't you?

The founding fathers wrote the Bill of Rights in order to protect the inalienable rights that we all have from people like you. I'm sure it irritates you to realize that 200+ years ago there was a group of men who were wise enough to realize that you - or someone much like you - would exist, but protecting all of us from your emotional insanity is the reason that the Bill of Rights exists.

They were wise men.

Obviously not without their flaws, but yes indeed they were wise, and knew exactly what they were doing when they laid out the groundwork on how to govern ourselves.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Robert, I live right down the street from Arapahoe High School. The shooter was well aware that an armed deputy sheriff was in the building, and he did it anyway. I've said before that school shootings are a serious issue for me, and now maybe you understand why.

I'm literally surrounded by memorials for school shooting victims on all sides. Columbine, Bailey, and Arapahoe High Schools are all within a short drive. And if that isn't enough, the Aurora theatre is just a few minutes in the other direction. In October, one in seven of the residents of my community will be called for the jury pool. The trauma of the original shootings wasn't enough. We'll have to go through it all over again during the trial.

I honestly don't know what to think or where to turn for a solution, but I'm horrified at the idea that more guns are the answer. I would like someone, anyone, to tell me what we can do to stop this from happening again.
I can empathize with your emotions surrounding these shootings. I grew up in Arkansas and the Jonesboro middle school shootings (the shooters were 12 and 14) shook up the entire state.

It will happen again. The only way to stop it is a complete lock down of society and every freedom that we have. The Columbine shooting should have been the Columbine bombing but the propane bombs didn't work as planned. There is no way to be 100% safe in a free society.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I can empathize with your emotions surrounding these shootings. I grew up in Arkansas and the Jonesboro middle school shootings (the shooters were 12 and 14) shook up the entire state.

It will happen again. The only way to stop it is a complete lock down of society and every freedom that we have. The Columbine shooting should have been the Columbine bombing but the propane bombs didn't work as planned. There is no way to be 100% safe in a free society.
No, 100% is not attainable. But 90,95,99, probably is. We are the ONLY country in the developed world that has anything approaching this level of violence going on, and the vast majority of it is gun violence. It is not mere correlation that we are the only country that has millions upon millions of guns in circulation either. It is not necessary to completely lock down society as you say. These other countries all have limited, regulated possession of guns for legitimate sporting purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies