Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
Republicans controlled both houses of congress in the 106th, 108th, and 109th congress. The 108th and 109th while a republican was also president...

Why didn't they do anything then?
That's a very good question. One would have to look at Senate rules for filibustering by the minority. My guess is that that road will lead us to the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
You are absolutely right, if it weren't for liberals holding back our free markets we could be enjoying the benefits of nuclear power now just like Japan & Russia.

Fukushima (Japan) Nuclear Power Plant Explosion 12 March 2011 - YouTube
Fukishima is something to learn from in regards to site location, that's it. Not much else can be gleaned from that disaster, and certainly not anything that should shape US energy development policy. But as you have shown, I have no doubt liberals will use this till the death to perpetuate their scaremongering.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's a very good question. One would have to look at Senate rules for filibustering by the minority. My guess is that that road will lead us to the answer.
Oh, how convenient.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, how convenient.
Can you provide something to the contrary? I have nothing to support my contention. I am merely surmising that the Senate minority filibustered any attempt. I'd welcome any data that supports or dismisses this notion.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:35 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Something one must consider about what we know of the world via the mainstream media. They are our only source of news. A handful of organizations control all news - other than some independent sources - they can tell us whatever they want and we are to believe it all.

In the case of Fukishima...were there actual meltdowns and is radiation truly leaking into the oceans and destroying all life?

If so...why isn't the American press all over a they were the Gulf BP oil well incident? Isn't worldwide nuclear poisoning breaking news or do they gloss over it in favor of political fodder? The MSM is virtually mute about the topic now as they play up any way to demonize conservatives in this country.

If the press can dismiss the story I wonder if it is truly occurring.
Out of sight, out of mind.

Fukishima is out of site, and out of cite.

I'll cite it; I'm not out of sight, though many in the sixties said I was.

Stay away from Colbert's pistachios!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM

http://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/Nuc...ement/Disposal

Quote:
The Department of Energy was required by the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 to begin removing used fuel from reactor sites by 1998. The government’s failure to do so has resulted in nearly $2 billion in court-awarded damage settlements being paid from the taxpayer-funded Judgment Fund to compensate energy companies for storing the used fuel onsite. Damages could reach more than $20 billion by 2020 and up to $500 million annually after 2020.
Due to liberals' intransigence on Yucca Mountain, taxpayers have paid out $2 Billion in court awarded settlements for storing used fuel on-site. And many more billions are coming down the pike.

Way to go Libs!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Can you provide something to the contrary? I have nothing to support my contention. I am merely surmising that the Senate minority filibustered any attempt. I'd welcome any data that supports or dismisses this notion.
Can you prove that Republicans tried to push for nuclear power during the time they were in control of Congress and the President?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
http://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/Nuc...ement/Disposal

Due to liberals' intransigence on Yucca Mountain, taxpayers have paid out $2 Billion in court awarded settlements for storing used fuel on-site. And many more billions are coming down the pike.

Way to go Libs!
It's not good to leave nuclear waste lying around.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
You are absolutely right, if it weren't for liberals holding back our free markets we could be enjoying the benefits of nuclear power now just like Japan & Russia.

Fukushima (Japan) Nuclear Power Plant Explosion 12 March 2011 - YouTube
So I guess you're ignoring the fact that the United States has the most operating nuclear reactors of any nation with 104?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Can you prove that Republicans tried to push for nuclear power during the time they were in control of Congress and the President?
Yes, 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies