Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. — The Wisconsin Supreme Court has upheld the 2011 law that effectively ended collective bargaining for most public workers, sparked massive protests and led to Republican Gov. Scott Walker's recall election and rise to national prominence.

Thursday's 5-2 ruling is a victory for Walker, who is considering a 2016 run for president and is seeking re-election this year. It also marks the end of the three-year legal fight over the union rights law, which prohibits public worker unions for collectively bargaining for anything beyond base wage increases based on inflation. A federal appeals court twice upheld the law as constitutional.
Link: Wisconsin Supreme Court upholds law that ended collective bargaining for public workers | WashingtonExaminer.com

Great news for Wisconsin, good government, and common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Wow, that's great.

Still, I'd feel more comfortable with legal action against unions.

Standing is always an issue, but there has to be some way an ordinary citizen can sue unions for non-performance or civil rights or human rights violations.

Qui Tam
might be a possibility where local, State or federal laws are concerned.

I think there are lessons to be learned from the Left, and one such lesson is repeatedly attacking unions with lawsuits to bleed them dry so that they don't have any money to engage in bribery, graft, corruption, electioneering or election influencing.

Maybe bleed them so badly they have to dip into their pension funds.

Elated....

Mircea

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Wow, that's great.

Still, I'd feel more comfortable with legal action against unions.

Standing is always an issue, but there has to be some way an ordinary citizen can sue unions for non-performance or civil rights or human rights violations.

Qui Tam
might be a possibility where local, State or federal laws are concerned.

I think there are lessons to be learned from the Left, and one such lesson is repeatedly attacking unions with lawsuits to bleed them dry so that they don't have any money to engage in bribery, graft, corruption, electioneering or election influencing.

Maybe bleed them so badly they have to dip into their pension funds.

Elated....

Mircea
Bleed them so badly they have to dip into their pension funds via lawsuits without merit. like sueing them for human rights violations?

What the heck is wrong with you?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Fabulous! Keep Wisconsin moving forward!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
What do you know. Common sense actually prevailed.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I like unions.... I don't like unions that have become a fundraiser, donor, and manpower of the Democrats.... I especially don't like that the liberals have twisted the laws to make it like that... And I really hate the posters on here that try to protect that corrupt relationship...

Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
FWIW, this wasn't a surprise at all. Everyone knew the law was going to be upheld. Meanwhile, Act 10 hasn't actually fixed anything...Wisconsin's economy still lags behind its neighbors, teachers are shunning Wisconsin for other states, our schools are not magically fixed and better for ending collective bargaining, and Mary Burke has caught up to Gov. Walker in the polls (I still expect Walker to win re-election, though). You union bashers can have your day now...some of us here in Wisconsin aren't relishing the idea of being turned into a carbon copy of states like Indiana or Mississippi, though.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Public unions are a unholy alliance. Who the hell bargains with people who fund your election and vote you in or out, based upon pay and benefits?

Scott Walker is a trail blazer. About time someone took a stand, made an important pivot.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
FWIW, this wasn't a surprise at all. Everyone knew the law was going to be upheld. Meanwhile, Act 10 hasn't actually fixed anything...Wisconsin's economy still lags behind its neighbors, teachers are shunning Wisconsin for other states, our schools are not magically fixed and better for ending collective bargaining, and Mary Burke has caught up to Gov. Walker in the polls (I still expect Walker to win re-election, though). You union bashers can have your day now...some of us here in Wisconsin aren't relishing the idea of being turned into a carbon copy of states like Indiana or Mississippi, though.
I grew up in a strong union family. Both of my parents were represented by unions. But the unions have abused their power and it is past time for them to be taken down a notch or two.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I grew up in a strong union family. Both of my parents were represented by unions. But the unions have abused their power and it is past time for them to be taken down a notch or two.
They already have been. Union membership nationwide is only about 10% of the current workforce. Some of the neo-cons are railing against a boogeyman who no longer exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies