Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Your response has absolutely zero to do with what I said. I said NOTHING about any of that.
Let us review the facts....

You said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bleed them so badly they have to dip into their pension funds via lawsuits without merit. like sueing them for human rights violations?

What the heck is wrong with you?
I responded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The stench of ignorance is strong here.....

Article 20.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
  • (2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.
Source: Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

I'm for Freedom....what the heck is wrong with you?...

Mircea
If you don't understand International Law, International Relations or International Treaties, you might want to consider refraining from inserting-foot-in-mouth.

Compelled membership in a union is a Human Rights Violation.

SLAPping unions with lawsuits for Human Rights Violations will bleed them dry financially....to the point where the only money left is their pension funds.

If you don't under ERISA, then you might want to actually read it....the whole point is that once unions are bled dry of their money, they are done....ERISA would bar union leaders --the very 1% you despise -- from raiding the pension plans to fund their life-styles.

I own my labor....not some 1-percenter who is a power-seeking preying on the weak using unions as a cover....

Mireca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Or Texas?
We have Public Unions, ask any police officer, fireman or teacher.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Scare Tactic

If you suppose that terrorizing your opponent is giving him a reason for believing that you are correct, then you are using a scare tactic and reasoning fallaciously.

Suppressed Evidence

Intentionally failing to use information suspected of being relevant and significant is committing the fallacy of suppressed evidence. This fallacy usually occurs when the information counts against one’s own conclusion.

If unions never existed, police and fire would still exist.

What exactly is my union benefit?

A bad cop who causes my community to lose $1,000s or $Millions each year due to crime?

A bad cop who gets 6 months suspended with pay while a "cover-up" (a Polish word pronounced "investigation") takes place, only to be reinstated?

Mircea
Ok, you keep telling yourself that, by the way it is a good thing we do not use real names here, otherwise your appreciation of first responders might not be so appreciated by them. I do notice you are scared that it could happen, so you realize that there really could be possible reactions to the actions of others, well maybe not to you, since they do not know who you are, the lawmakers, they do know their names, may they get the service they deserve

Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
They already have been. Union membership nationwide is only about 10% of the current workforce. Some of the neo-cons are railing against a boogeyman who no longer exists.
NO, they're railing against the unionization of government employees. It's a conflict of interest, with no oversight. This is why we have massive unfunded liabilities. If the government negotiates with itself, the public will be the only losers.

Private employees can unionize all they want, but even Roosevelt said public employees should never be unionized, because it would breed corruption; which it has.

"
All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service." FDR

Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Ahh! A shred of honesty, finally. You assume much, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Its not Geography, its name recognition.

I Assumed East St. Louis would be in the same state as St, Louis.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Some of those ethics complaints were indeed stupid(false is the wrong word, as they were all true, Alaska has a low bar for ethics complaints), but most of them werent from the left, heck sitting Republicans in the Alaska legislature filed ethics claims against her.

Stop blaming Democrats/ The Left for Palin just not being a good governor.
ALL of them were false.

And indeed, false ethics charges WERE a retribution for her daring to challenge a black Democrat.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
The most basic reason public unions should be disallowed is based on who they bargain with - which would be other public workers.

When collective bargaining happens in the public sector, it is the union leadership talking to another public employee. The "management" who must pay the increased wages/benefits (otherwise known as "the public" or "the taxpayers") are never part of the "bargaining."

I would be totally in favor of public unions if one simple change was made - any increased cost borne by the taxpayers is explicitly explained down to the last dollar, and then submitted as referendum that the taxpayers can then vote on. Let the union present their case, get their "collective bargaining" proposal published and into the hands of the public at least 60 days before the referendum vote, and then let the true "management" decide whether to accept the union's deal.

This is why I don't have issues with private unions. They bargain with the people who must bear the cost of accepting the union's demands, as well as possible costs if the union strikes if they refuse. Whether the company is right or wrong for doing either is irrelevant because the "right" in the issue is that employee talks to the employer collectively. In public unions, two employees sit down absent any management participation and decide how much they should each make. Screw that, good for Wisconsin and one of only 3 or 4 brave conservative politicians in the country.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The most basic reason public unions should be disallowed is based on who they bargain with - which would be other public workers.

When collective bargaining happens in the public sector, it is the union leadership talking to another public employee. The "management" who must pay the increased wages/benefits (otherwise known as "the public" or "the taxpayers") are never part of the "bargaining."

I would be totally in favor of public unions if one simple change was made - any increased cost borne by the taxpayers is explicitly explained down to the last dollar, and then submitted as referendum that the taxpayers can then vote on. Let the union present their case, get their "collective bargaining" proposal published and into the hands of the public at least 60 days before the referendum vote, and then let the true "management" decide whether to accept the union's deal.

This is why I don't have issues with private unions. They bargain with the people who must bear the cost of accepting the union's demands, as well as possible costs if the union strikes if they refuse. Whether the company is right or wrong for doing either is irrelevant because the "right" in the issue is that employee talks to the employer collectively. In public unions, two employees sit down absent any management participation and decide how much they should each make. Screw that, good for Wisconsin and one of only 3 or 4 brave conservative politicians in the country.
BS the elected reps represent the taxpayers, if yours do not you should do something to change it.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
I doubt she did that, but the point o my post was that It wasnt "the Left", that went after her in Alaska. At least not entirely.
Yes, ENTIRELY. There are lots of Republicans on the left.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Yes, ENTIRELY. There are lots of Republicans on the left.
Wow, nice try, too bad you missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies