Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I like unions.... I don't like unions that have become a fundraiser, donor, and manpower of the Democrats.... I especially don't like that the liberals have twisted the laws to make it like that... And I really hate the posters on here that try to protect that corrupt relationship...
Oh great, another one bitching that unions don't support Republicans In case you haven't noticed Republicans have a very deep disdain and contempt for working people. "Takers" anyone? How the hell is it a corrupt relationship for unions to support those who support them and not support those who hate them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Hooray for wages in America that have a hope of keeping jobs in the US instead of moving offshore and letting workers use their job performance to determine their pay instead of seniority or union politics.
You're living in dreamland if you think this is going to keep jobs from going overseas. All this is going to result in is lower wages and poor working conditions

Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It's going to be interesting to see the reaction of the "hey I have no problem with private unions" people when Walker goes after those private unions
Unions give tons of money to Dems.

Dems are the party of Big Government.

The government (in the form of Gov. Walker) goes after private unions.

A rich irony.

I say crush them all into dust.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
The idea that public employees need a union to help them leverage themselves against the people who hire them - us - is immoral at face value, with no possible argument it is needed.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Let us review the facts....

You said....

I responded....

If you don't understand International Law, International Relations or International Treaties, you might want to consider refraining from inserting-foot-in-mouth.

Compelled membership in a union is a Human Rights Violation.

SLAPping unions with lawsuits for Human Rights Violations will bleed them dry financially....to the point where the only money left is their pension funds.

If you don't under ERISA, then you might want to actually read it....the whole point is that once unions are bled dry of their money, they are done....ERISA would bar union leaders --the very 1% you despise -- from raiding the pension plans to fund their life-styles.

I own my labor....not some 1-percenter who is a power-seeking preying on the weak using unions as a cover....

Mireca
Well now thats a interesting take on it. So if thats true why havent there been more successful lawsuits based upon that?

And no you didnt say "to the point where the only money left is their pension funds." you said "Maybe bleed them so badly they have to dip into their pension funds." Important difference there.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The idea that public employees need a union to help them leverage themselves against the people who hire them - us - is immoral at face value, with no possible argument it is needed.
There's a very strong argument that firefighters, cops, and yes even teachers, need voices in how their respective professions are run. I won't sit here and argue that the BMV needs representation, but there are definitely professionals working within the government that benefit from it.

In regards to the cozy relationship between unions and Democrats, it's definitely slimy, but it's a symptom of the way we've come to finance elections in this country. It's the same type of unethical connection that exists between hundreds of lobbying groups and the politicians with which they sponsor--on both sides of the aisle. If we want our democracy back, we'd be better off tackling the root of the problem.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I still don't understand why people think unions have employees best interests in mind. The only thing the union worries about is increasing the power of the union.
Lesser of two evils perhaps? There are some downright moronic people running a lot of unions. But at least they are generally doing things to the benefit union members. I'm not sure the same can be said as often for politicians or even business owners, especially nowadays.

I'm no expert on German business and labor, but their "works councils" seem to work much better than what we have here. If nothing else they seem to be much less contentious and more cooperative.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There's a very strong argument that firefighters, cops, and yes even teachers, need voices in how their respective professions are run.
Explain what that means. Define what this "voice" is and what that "voice" should be talking about.

Quote:
I won't sit here and argue that the BMV needs representation, but there are definitely professionals working within the government that benefit from it.
So? I would benefit from a government law that prohibits everyone from me from doing what I know and have experience in. But that would not benefit the country.

Quote:
In regards to the cozy relationship between unions and Democrats, it's definitely slimy, but it's a symptom of the way we've come to finance elections in this country.
No, it's a symptom of having governments that control every aspect of our lives, making them the targets of people who are either trying to enrich, or defend themselves. If government wasn't choosing who benefits and who loses in almost every aspect of our life, then there would be no large lobby to worry about.

Quote:
It's the same type of unethical connection that exists between hundreds of lobbying groups and the politicians with which they sponsor--on both sides of the aisle. If we want our democracy back, we'd be better off tackling the root of the problem.
Yup, and it's government doing things it should not be doing.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Lesser of two evils perhaps? There are some downright moronic people running a lot of unions. But at least they are generally doing things to the benefit union members. I'm not sure the same can be said as often for politicians or even business owners, especially nowadays.

I'm no expert on German business and labor, but their "works councils" seem to work much better than what we have here. If nothing else they seem to be much less contentious and more cooperative.
But Germans like being told what to do, and like hierarchy and forced conformity.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
But Germans like being told what to do, and like hierarchy and forced conformity.
Ah yes, the old "Europeans just enjoy being more subordinate" argument that presupposes they don't know what's really in their best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies